Need your guy's/gals opinions please.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont think i could really make a post in the OV forum about this but you guys are the only ones ive really talked to about rooting and roming so thusly the only ones i really trust.

Im going to have brain surgery soon in LA, and i want to get something new for the trip. Me and my girlfriend both have OV's and they are rooted with your CM7 rom.

At this point im really confused as far as what to get. Its between the kindle fire, nook tablet, or maybe the virgin mobile motorola triumph. It seems like spec wise the nook beats the kindle, but its locked so no custom roms, and the kindle only has like 6 actual gigs of memory... the triumph has nice specs and everyone says the size dif from OV to MT is like night and day.

I was playing on a HTC Inspire earlier, put dead space on it even and it was sweet. just like, way better than the OV imho. I dont know im just really confused which to pick for us to upgrade to at this point because i dont really know what options there are with if there are actually stable ROMs for any of them idk... Should i just get the nook and sideload apps? or idk man hah what doyou think.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am sort of in the same spot with wanting a tablet for work (easier than carrying a laptop constantly).

The Fire, is too limited. If they had included an sdcard and bluetooth (mostly bluetooth), even just bluetooth I would be okay. So far no one has been able to enable it, I've been watching. The Nook Tablet, like you, locked rom and no bluetooth, and I really need bluetooth as I want to hook a keyboard to it and make it sort of a mini laptop like they are doing with Ipads.

The Triumph will not be the same, don't kid yourself. While the Triumph screen is bigger, it's still not good for browsing really. And night and day? Really? Somehow I doubt that (yes I know the owners claim it all the time). It's still only a few inche in screen size, compare the Triumph to a tablet and that is a big difference.

After lots of searching, the tablet I was going to get was the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus. It has everything and a better screen. If you can deal with terrible battery life, look into the Acer Iconias, but really the Tab Plus is frankly the best 7inch out there. I was all set to buy the Tab when my laptop died and I had to replace the mainboard (turned out to be the CPU). This turned out to be a good thing.

At C.E.S., Asus announced a fully spec'd Tegra 3 quad core 7 inch tablet for $250 due around March or April(?). It pretty much stunned everyone. Expect lots of sale on older stuff as that nears as everything else just became irrelevant. Supposedly there was a lot of nervous people after that announcement. If you want a 7inch tablet, that is the one to wait for.

If you don't want a Tab, can't wait, or if you just want a new toy, and need it soon, look for a refurb Nook Color ($150 or less) and put Cyanogen on it. It's not quite as fast, but seems to handle most common tasks no problem (including video), has an SD, and with CM it has bluetooth.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much I'm just looking for a better viewing experience for Netflix and stuff while not at home which basically means never really. Just this is going to.be.my first plane trip/ x country trip ina very long time. Granted there's going to be a decent wifi connection on the planes and in the airports ill be Latin over in. I just don't really want to.screw around with bringing my MacBook pro for many reasons. Just want everything to be simple considering the reason for.the trip. The HTC inspire would be perfect for me and considering its a 4.3 screen and the triumph is 4.1 it would be almaot the same. I was playing dead space on it and it ran great and also looked awesome. Jusywonder how the triumph would compare that way. I have the game on my optimus v and the quality is alot worse graphically speaking and it just doesn't seem like the optimus is really meant for multitouch. Trying to walk and aim for instance makes it tweak out a bit. Idk I think s tablet would make my phone sort of obsolete and with having laptops and stuff they are kind of pointless and I never read so I wouldn't use the book part of any of the ereaders. It just seems like the triumph has better hardware and possibly a better platform for games Nd even emulators. Just interesting time wasters that wont run properly.if.at all on my optimus. Plus as u can probably tell my fingers are a bit too big for this little on screen keyboard and with the little yet exsistant size increase as well as my budgetthe triumph might be.good for me. Hmm

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so you cant install custom Roms on the Nook Tablet, but simply, other than that, it totaly blows the kindle out of the water right? just because the bootloader is locked now... does that mean that it will never be unlocked? either by some ability to 86 the HD stream from netflix by clicking some sort of electronic agreement, or even just being cracked by one of the developers at some point. If i can take a nook tablet, root it, and put the android market on it, and whatever apps i want, AND have HD stream from Netflix, AND have expandable memory? it seems like the best thing to do. Seeing that the only difference between the OV and the MT is what, 200 or so MHZ CPU (after overclocking the OV) and 0.9 inches of screen... damn seems like the tablet woul be alot funner.

Between having my OV for texting, calls and even everything else when i dont have the tablet with me... seems like a no brainer. And for a price thats lower than the MT from viginr by 50$, seems like an even larger no brainer.. :p

idk, thoughts?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The MT has 400mhz more I think, and once overclocked will be closer to 900 more.

The Nook Tablet is better than the Fire, but is it better in ways that matter for $50? It's not THAT much better. They do hope to unlock it, but who knows when that will happen, if ever. I would really take a look at the Nook Color, the Nook Tablet is just a beefed up Nook Color with a locked loader. The only real downside to the Color is the 800mhz processor and lack of Flash support. The nice thing though, is while half the price, you could still turn around and sell it for a profit when you got home (modded ones get a bit more). Be sure to check on the Netflix, I know some video formats are an issue.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Its seems like the ram doesn't really matter as much as the ability to actually use more than 6 gigs of memory. I've seen the 3d games run perfectly fine on both the fire and the nook. If it came down to.looks alone I like the design of the kindle alot more.

Simply this would be a non issue if the MT was more of what I was looking for..idk I guess you can't really
Compare of to something like an HTC. YeH its a mid end android device but ill bet MT users will find games that wont run perfectly or if it all.

Plus if I can't rely on wifi connection on one of the planes ill be taking... a small 30 person one.... it would be hard to jam the kindle with some movies or something.

Lol I'm still up I'm the air I have no idea. I'd probably behappier with one of the tablets because the Ov is still a good functional phone. And I'd hate to get a MT just for a tiny bit bigger screen and a tiny bit bigger keyboard.

With this android phones. What matters more for performance. CPU speed or RAM? It seems like most of the phones have like 512 or 728 or whatever.

So recap... what matters most:

-video playback quality

-3d games***

-roms-great. But can deal with custom launcher on nook.

- performance***

Also I'd rather have.the NT over the NC because if.I end up liking it and the crack the by ill be pissed cause if want the. Extra speed

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the only draw back to having the NT not rom'ed, is ou have to "search" for the launcher app, then it opens something like go launcher etc, and you have to od that every time you leave an app or something.

Honestly, it looks like the Kindle does just fine playing all of the 3D apps on the market. Been watching some youtube videos and ive even seen stuff like Need For Speed Shift working, and looking good, ( i just wonder if it has drifting ^.^) This guy had like 10 or so god looking games so it looks like the storage space might only be a problem if you like to play all the games all the time, but it seems like you could just figure out which ones ar emore important and just keep those...

pretty much, reading will be the last thing i do with these lol.

Last edited:

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
to the original power. theforerunner

first things first.

The triumph is a GREAT phone, BUT it does have quality control issues, when you buy one theres a 60% chance it wont have any problems and a 40% chance it will. rough estimates but close enough. it is a VERY nice phone IF you get a good one, but if you get a bad one youll be waiting for a return and exchange and it wont be worth the hassle if on a time limit before a trip.

one thing I can say is that the difference between the OV and the Triumph isnt one versus the other, its larger than that. its the difference between an absolute budget smartphone, and a real high end phone (stuffed into a cheap plastic body to sell to a prepaid market) the difference IS tangible and real. if phones like the Optimus V were "good enough" they wouldnt be marketed as low end starter smartphones and the first to go prepaid. they would be more prevalent.

that said, I believe, for YOUR use, the hassle of dealing with a possible bad triumph might not be worth the convenience of buying a tablet of reputable brand. If the Triumph had better QC, I would recommend it in an instant.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/...king-down-the-nook-tablet-vs-kindle-fire.html they break down the differences between the tabs on that article. decent read.

I dont have a say for either one of those tablets as I haven't used them, but I do think a tablet + OV looks to be a better option in your particular case. as for WHICH tablet? ultimately, I hope you get the best one based on what you really want and need and maybe helped with advice from others here who have used both.

@leslieann

I respect you and what youve done for the OV, but reading your replies here I get the feeling your stuck on the OV and believe the MT is just all bad. The MT itself isnt the "best" phone, but the specs are in line with a lot of high end phones. so when you say things like "While the Triumph screen is bigger, it's still not good for browsing really. And night and day? Really? Somehow I doubt that" its actually 480x800 which is just about the same resolution as 85% of high end 4.3 inch phones out right now. aside from rarities that use the qHD resolution or the Galaxy Nexus.

it wouldnt be so popular if it wasnt good at being useful. thats why 320x480 got dropped so fast, and only low end phones like the OV still use it. its a heck of a lot more pure real estate (4.1 vs 3.2 is a huge noticable difference in day to day use, if not in numbers on a spec sheet) and the resolution packs a lot of pixels per inch in that area. Its *almost* the perfect screen size/resolution. 4" exactly might be that magical number, but its close.

A phone is usually on a person 24/7 becuase its the main communication device to their friends and the rest of the world via the internet. some people are more mobile than others. take me for instance, I need to carry as little as possible but have a lot of functionality. the combination of Optimus V and my old Galaxy Tab 7 just didnt work. I needed one device that was smaller than the tab and more powerful than the OV. thats where phones like the MT come in.

the last thing Ill say is about what you said in your second reply. "The MT has 400mhz more I think, and once overclocked will be closer to 900 more."

I know you hate when I make PC references, and im fairly certain you know this, but megahertz are not the defining performance indicator of a given CPU. thats why a Core 2 Duo or even Core Solo is loads better than the highest clocked Pentium 4 cpu.

newer tech usually trumps older tech. and since qualcomm makes both the OV and MT cpus, the MT is better not only on paper but in real world use. may "only" be 400MHz higher than the OV, but its packing more efficient architecture, a better gpu, higher performance, all that jazz. it may be single core but for a phone application it will be "good enough" for a HECK of a lot longer than the OVs cpu is.

/rant over

I like what you do but if I see something I dont agree with I'll speak up on it :p I'm not a MT fanboy, I have one and I happened to get a good one, for that im thankful. but I'll switch to another brand or carrier if the plans compete with VM. the point im making is there is a real and tangible difference between "high end" phones and phones like the OV. and I hope you dont let whatever resentment you might have for the MT affect your purchase of future phones with more than 600mhz of cpu power and screens bigger than 3.2 inches

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I'll say something... my good friend is a kid who is an apple fan. He's convinced that apple is just pure awesomeness, however he is just a highscool student with no job so he can't afford a ipad 2 or a MacBook pro, so he decided on getting a kindle fire. He has had it since Christmas and he loves it more everyday. My friend is pretty big and his hands are colossal but he's had no probjems with the touchscreen, and it responds to his at times clumsiness very well. This kid watches tons and tons of Netflix movies and has 60 GB of music on his iPod, yet the 6 GB of storage space hasn't bothered him at all. He streams the movies via wifi, he streams his music from the Amazon cloud, and really the only reason to need the internal storage is for games and books, which I must add, the kindle is a great reader. Its also a pretty hackable tablet and although like leslieann pointed out there's limited storage no Bluetooth and some other stuff, for 200 bucks you cNt go wrong. I've seen games play on it and although Amazon didn't make more games tablet sized, the phone sized games don't look pixelly at all on the kindle. They run smoothly as heck.

My friend is a big complainer about stuff... if there's a problem with something, you'll here about it from him..... so far, nothing but praise for his kindle fire.

And if you need stuff on the airplane, just loadup that six gigs with as much as possible.

I hope that helped, and I wish you the best on your surgery.;)

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hah wow. That's alot to digest. I think at this point it's going to.come down to a battle between the MT and the kindle. It seems like for the price andthe ease of everything that the kindle will be a better choice. I can always get something better if needed down the road.

As long as I get a good version of the MT. I.would be pretty happy with that. Like wat said that little screen increase actually does make a hell of a difference and as you can see... almost a year into owning the optimus v ... I still am horrible at typing on it.

I can deal with Netflix on this little screen so an inch increase would be a world of difference if you know what I mean... ha

Its just for the things that the OV can't do which make me want the triumph and it seems like a kindle will almost make my.phone obsolete. Then ill have this large tab to drag around granted.I have the surgery and stop keeping myself shut in my house forever. Ugh I wish I could just play with someones MT and see what its like. That's probably my issue cause I've touchedxa kindle but not a MT. But if a HTC I.spire is closernough.of a comparison ..
I'd love it

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any of the devices are of the best caliber for what you intend.

I just tricked out an Acer A500 tablet recently and it is pretty awesome for <$350. Great Tegra video and it's supposed to get ICS sometime this month.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hah wow. That's alot to digest. I think at this point it's going to.come down to a battle between the MT and the kindle. It seems like for the price andthe ease of everything that the kindle will be a better choice. I can always get something better if needed down the road.

As long as I get a good version of the MT. I.would be pretty happy with that. Like wat said that little screen increase actually does make a hell of a difference and as you can see... almost a year into owning the optimus v ... I still am horrible at typing on it.

I can deal with Netflix on this little screen so an inch increase would be a world of difference if you know what I mean... ha

Its just for the things that the OV can't do which make me want the triumph and it seems like a kindle will almost make my.phone obsolete. Then ill have this large tab to drag around granted.I have the surgery and stop keeping myself shut in my house forever. Ugh I wish I could just play with someones MT and see what its like. That's probably my issue cause I've touchedxa kindle but not a MT. But if a HTC I.spire is closernough.of a comparison ..
I'd love it

with the MT, the stock rom is quite literally... bs. its bad.

some great devs over on AndroidForums have created good CM7 and MIUI roms, the only thing non functional is HDMI out. and the're working on a ICS rom thats growing fast.

if you are really considering it, and you actually HAVE the cash to spend. I would say to go pick it up in a retail store like Best Buy, bring it home, use Virgins website to swap service from your OV, ROM it with cm7 or miui, and test it out. one thing I will say is that the triumph has an unlocked bootloader and to install CWM recovery requires NO root, all you have to do is boot into a special mode, connect to your PC, drag and drop the new recovery in, rename it, reboot the phone, and its done. you can even use it to back up the stock rom completely untouched by root.

best of all, you can nandroid restore the stock rom, restore the stock recovery, and return the entire phone 100% stock to the store if you dont like it.

no ADB commands, no terminal emulator, none of that. just avoid the stock rom altogether but make a backup of it.

with MIUI, the Triumph is the smoothest phone I've ever used, of course im only comparing it hands on to the Galaxy S, the last high end phone I owned. and its worlds better than that. on miui and CM7, pretty much everything from scrolling homescreens to going up and down menu lists, opening apps, its all smoothly animated and fast like an iphone. I hate to compare it to that, but that is the only other phone device offering such a smooth UI experience.

the PPI on the Triumh is around 230, which is not as high as a retina display but unless your really anal about it and inspect your screen with a magnifying glass, you'd be hard pressed to point out that fact in every day use. Fonts look clean and crisp all the way down to tiny sizes. web pages are readable in the fully zoomed out mode, the text is so small it borders on uncomfortable. but individual letters dont turn into pixel smudges like on the OV.

the screen also does wonders for watching netflix. the size alone makes it actually comfortable to watch movies, I thought I loved netflix on my OV, but I cant get enough of it on the Triumph. I also bought a 16GB SD card and a few spare batteries so I could go a few days without being plugged into a wall and take my whole collection of music with me.

the screen is Standard Definition in a widescreen aspect ratio, 480x800, its close to a 16:10 aspect ratio, not a 3:2 like the OV, so widescreen content plays much nicer, fills out more of the screen. also, the Pixel Density is high enough that even SD content looks very good, no need to watch the HD version of everything and suffer with crap quality and slow buffering.

If you decide to try it, keep your OV and the Triumph, so you can swap service BACK to the OV before you return the triumph.

things to look out for when you turn on your triumph for the first time.

1. play around with the stock rom, but dont take any problems you see in it as permanent, all those problems are software based.

2. when you have CM7 or miui installed, look for a green blob in the cameras live view in the camera app, some have it some dont, it shows up in almost every picture. if you get it, its not a deal breaker but consider replacing it if you get more trouble.

3. speaker volume, the triumph media speakers are stereo, one on each side of the phone, and very loud. if your phones max volume is quiet, replace it. its supposed to be loud.

4. some triumphs have a touchscreen that occasionally misses taps and swipes, and the back and search keys may not respond for a few seconds at a time. I'd say for every 30 taps or swipes, it will miss 1 or 2. not a huge deal, I think it is more in the touchscreen driver itself, not the hardware. and the custom roms still use the stock touchscreen driver with minor fixes.

5. there is one known issue that affects ALL triumphs. it has real multi touch, but when two touch points cross axis, like rotating a picture all the way around, the axis will snap together when they get close to either perfectly horizontal or vertical. in viewing websites and stuff, it actually helps drag the pages around and stuff. but in games, it makes walking and aiming impossible.

the triumph can play modern combat 3 at full speed, no lag. but you will hate the game becuase you cant aim at anyone.

this problem is being worked on, its believed to be in software only, but so far it still exists and gaming will be out. except for things like angry birds or accelerometer based games. emulators work too since you can move the virtual controls to opposite corners of the screen.

I can see the touch problem being your major issue, but you should give the triumph a try at least for everything else it does. you can return it, get your 300, buy the kindle and have some cash left over as well. and in the end you will have made a better decision by at least trying both products before buying one to keep.

theforerunner

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for going so detailed in your description, im pretty anal about the things that i buy, and having 20/15 vision, i do notice alot of things with HD screens and can even tell from 10 feet away that my 42inch hd plasma has rectangular pixels :p (damn screen door effect...)

This multi touch issue seems to be the biggest problem with this phone. I noticed something like that on my OV when trying to play dead space, yes dead space actually runs on it, and i cant tell when the frame skipping like effect is due to the meeting of the axis on the "double touch deal" or if the cpu is just spiking at 100% or something idk. but its when your walking forward and you try aiming from either above the center on the X axis to below or visa versa, and then the character goes from running forward to walking backward whilst looking at either the ground or ceiling. Prrrettty lame.

I think at some point, having both a tablet and a larger, actually smart, smart phone. I dont really screw with my phone a whole lot, except for when my girlfriend is at her parents or at work on her break texting me like crazy. Having the 300 talk minutes i usually shy away from talking on it too. Other than playing little games or watching netflix from the toilet, or sitting in a waiting room at a doctors office i dont really pull it out of my pocket. Im at home alot and i have a macbook pro for the internet and a ps3/xbox for gaming. ha.

Also, im not huge on reading, my tumor is ina place where it kind of messes with my eyes, makes it hard to focus on lettering, makes me dizzy.

The kindle might be fun for the plane ride to Cali, give me a reason not to lug around the 2k$ macbook on the plane and in the hotel while recovering. Also give me some brain functionality testing games to screw with when im coming out of recovery. Make sure my brain still works ya know? ha. well yeah. idk.

Im probably the most indecisive person i know. If i get a kindle. eventually ill want a full blown tablet... if i get a MT eventually ill want an even faster one. I just got my tv and i already want a better one haha.

i guess im just never satisfied. and if the OV can handle all of its "jobs" of being an android platform that actually works as a phone, and the Kindle can handle those fun looking games that the OV cannot, and i can basicaly ignore that fact that its made for reading books which i dont do, then it would be fine for me.

What makes this more complicated is that im not just going to be getting one or the other, just like how me and my woman have the OV, we will both be getting either a new phone or the Kindle and i guess its not a quesiton of this vs that for $200 or $300, its more like, this vs that for either $400 or $600, and being that i have to hold a benefit dinner in order to get my a$$ to cali for the surgery int he first place, shoudl probably do the cheapest, less painful thing.

( A Pineal Cyst ) Thats a blog page i started that talks more about whats going on if anyone is interested.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The kindle fire, I believe, only has 1GB of the 6 available for apps
That is correct.
There are ways to fix it though.

The triumph is a GREAT phone, BUT it does have quality control issues, when you buy one theres a 60% chance it wont have any problems and a 40% chance it will. rough estimates but close enough. it is a VERY nice phone IF you get a good one, but if you get a bad one youll be waiting for a return and exchange and it wont be worth the hassle if on a time limit before a trip.

{cut}

@leslieann

I respect you and what youve done for the OV, but reading your replies here I get the feeling your stuck on the OV and believe the MT is just all bad. The MT itself isnt the "best" phone, but the specs are in line with a lot of high end phones. so when you say things like "While the Triumph screen is bigger, it's still not good for browsing really. And night and day? Really? Somehow I doubt that" its actually 480x800 which is just about the same resolution as 85% of high end 4.3 inch phones out right now. aside from rarities that use the qHD resolution or the Galaxy Nexus.

it wouldnt be so popular if it wasnt good at being useful. thats why 320x480 got dropped so fast, and only low end phones like the OV still use it. its a heck of a lot more pure real estate (4.1 vs 3.2 is a huge noticable difference in day to day use, if not in numbers on a spec sheet) and the resolution packs a lot of pixels per inch in that area. Its *almost* the perfect screen size/resolution. 4" exactly might be that magical number, but its close.

It's a great phone with a 40% failure rate...
Sure, I'll run right out and buy one for $300. Did you know what the average rate of a single component being bad on delivery for a desktop PC is only 4%-5%. So why is the Triumph popular? Because it's the "best" phone you can get on a $25 a month plan. Period. It doesn't mean it's a great phone, it's just that you guys are willing to deal with it's "quirks" to have a fast phone with a bigger screen.

Yes, I know roms fix some/most of the issues, it doesn't fix them all, and I really dislike the idea that I have to void the warranty just to make it work okay. GPS is a basic function of any smartphone these day, that alone should have made that phone be recalled (how about 911 emergency?). And this is only one of the common problems, but the one that effects me the most. Sorry, but to me, that is a major, major screw up to clear Huawei, Motorola and Virgin's testing and reach market. And where is the fix?

I know a lot say oh it's not a big deal and it's a cheap phone, funny, I don't remember the Curve, HTC, Slider, or OV having significant issues or returns in the numbers the Triumph has seen. The phone is garbage, specs alone do not make a good phone. Yours works, I'm glad for you, you must be one of the 60%., but do you not realize how pathetic that number is?

20% failure rate is often considered by companies to be the point where they stop dealing with the company because they cannot produce a good product. As in "you're F'ing fired!" 20% failure is INSANE and here you are defending 40%.

Again, why would I spend $300 on that?
I don't need the speed, I don't need the screen (I usually have a laptop with me at work), I think the shape of it sucks, we know the build quality sucks, I will even go put on a limb and guess that the internal components such as capacitors and such also suck (been though that problem before, not doing it again). It's simply not a good investment.

Am I stuck on the OV? Actually, no.
I'm stuck on it because VM hasn't offered anything better that is worthy of my money. I have the money, I am more than willing to spend it, they just haven't offered anything good enough yet to make me drop the OV. The OV is simply the best bang for the buck in the VM line, by a long shot. The day is coming that I move off of it though, and soon. Even if it means leaving VM after 7+ years.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The kindle might be fun for the plane ride to Cali, give me a reason not to lug around the 2k$ macbook on the plane and in the hotel while recovering. Also give me some brain functionality testing games to screw with when im coming out of recovery. Make sure my brain still works ya know? ha. well yeah. idk.
Since you are staying for recovery, take the Macbook.
The Tablets are still not a replacement for computers. If it was just for the flight, that is one thing, but personally, I would take the Macbook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo