No Data After Brick

Liimon

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Grnsnake I am in exactly the same situation as you. I was able to restore everything but the VM radio. I hope someone comes up with a solution. Everything is working except Data service. To the previous poster: I updated my PRL to a new one but I still can't get a data connection. Thanks for the suggestion though.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
After using KDZ and the ZV8 cab file that asdullah suggested, the first thing that I did was try to install the VM radio via Bob's recovery, but it did not take.

What do you mean it "did not take"?

You used the radio update that LeslieAnn posted?

And did it fail in any visible way or did it appear to succeed but your 3G is still broken?

Unfortunately, access to the radio partition is locked so it cannot be read (or presumably written) without some proprietary mechanism. So until/unless someone figures that out, we are pretty limited.

It's been a long time since I ran IHO but I recall it doesn't show the baseband version properly and I pulled up some screenshots on google that seem to agree. I think only the stock firmware shows this properly. So you can revert to stock (either old or new) to show your baseband and verify what's installed.

And the only known way to update it is to use the VM updater binary that they are using. If I had a spare phone, I'd play with the updater binary to see if I could figure out how it worked. But I can't risk my main phone.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
After trying everything I could find I found this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/80968-emergency-recovery-techniques-dont-currently-work.html and it basically says that VM keeps a needed dll file out of the cab files it lets you download so currently we will never be able to regain data usage.

Not using KDZ perhaps. But we've got a radio updater and a radio image. So it's possible that if someone had a fair amount of know-how, a spare phone, and an afternoon to play around, the radio could be updated via recovery.

JerryScript has a donor phone but I don't know if he's willing and able to tackle this. Blarf and I probably could.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried flashing the VM Security Update again? It contains everything to flash the VM radio, and it can be rooted now. Just be sure to use BobZhome's recovery!

grnsnake

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I did try reflashing the update via Bob's recovery, but it did not change the radio. I even tried flashing the entire VM update, but I still had no luck. I finally just broke down and bought a new phone.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I did try reflashing the update via Bob's recovery, but it did not change the radio. I even tried flashing the entire VM update, but I still had no luck. I finally just broke down and bought a new phone.
Sorry to hear that. Please consider donating your bricked phone to tdm. I'm sure he can use it to do even more good for this community - on top of all he's already done.

grnsnake

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
How do you know it didn't change the radio?

I still had no data after flashing just the radio update that Leslie Ann posted and trying to use the activate apk in Harmonia. I then flashed the entire update package from VM and tried to use the activate apk and still had no data. I then looked at the phone information and the SW version said LS670ZV8 which is the firmware that I force flashed with KDZ.

emmanuelmac

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I still had no data after flashing just the radio update that Leslie Ann posted and trying to use the activate apk in Harmonia. I then flashed the entire update package from VM and tried to use the activate apk and still had no data. I then looked at the phone information and the SW version said LS670ZV8 which is the firmware that I force flashed with KDZ.

Mine said LS670ZV8 even after installing VM update. I re-rooted and downloaded the VM update onto my SD. On IHO recovery, I wipe cache, factory reset, dalvik cache and boot, cache, data, and system. [To get to recovery, I had to substitute the option key for the Home key. Instead of Home+Vol down+Power. It is Option+Vol down+Power. They are switched]. Then I applied the the update from SD. After that it changed to VM670ZV9. I did the activate app it restarted the phone. But the the 3G symbol never shows. I can't confirm data since I don't have service today. The recovery went back to stock.

Could the Switched home and option button be causing the problem?

Reactions: jccjr1982

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine said LS670ZV8 even after installing VM update. I re-rooted and downloaded the VM update onto my SD. On IHO recovery, I wipe cache, factory reset, dalvik cache and boot, cache, data, and system. [To get to recovery, I had to substitute the option key for the Home key. Instead of Home+Vol down+Power. It is Option+Vol down+Power. They are switched]. Then I applied the the update from SD. After that it changed to VM670ZV9. I did the activate app it restarted the phone. But the the 3G symbol never shows. I can't confirm data since I don't have service today. The recovery went back to stock.

No, the switched buttons have no effect.

Right after installing the VM Security Update, you should run the root expoit provided by jcase and myself. It's not about rooting at this point, but about preventing your recovery from being overwritten.

After applying the root exploit, I would then attempt to flash the radio again for good measure, then attempt to use the activate app before you install another ROM, do it from the VM security update's ROM.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

What shows in the "about" window is controlled by the rom, not the radio.

Liimon

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I followed the instructions above, cleared cache, factory reset, installed the ZV9 update and rooted it, activated the phone (successfully! at 1x, no 3G). My baseband is listed as VM670ZV9_60401001 and my software version is now listed as VM670ZV9 instead of the Sprint version. I installed the radio update again using the IHO recovery. As of now, I still do not have 3G service and looking at the network screen I can see that the connection attempts are still failing with the same error I had before -- "fail because Unknown Data Error." If anything changes I will let you know. So close! Thanks again for everyone's help. Dunno why I could activate the phone but the network will not work after that... :confused:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I followed the instructions above, cleared cache, factory reset, installed the ZV9 update and rooted it, activated the phone (successfully! at 1x, no 3G). My baseband is listed as VM670ZV9_60401001 and my software version is now listed as VM670ZV9 instead of the Sprint version. I installed the radio update again using the IHO recovery. As of now, I still do not have 3G service and looking at the network screen I can see that the connection attempts are still failing with the same error I had before -- "fail because Unknown Data Error." If anything changes I will let you know. So close! Thanks again for everyone's help. Dunno why I could activate the phone but the network will not work after that... :confused:

You may have to call VM and have them reactivate your data connection. It has worked for people in other situations where nothing else would get their data running again.

Tell them you attempted to install the security update, and it did something crazy like the screen flashed static then it rebooted and now you don't have 3g.

Reactions: thewraith420

emmanuelmac

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I think I fixed mine... So, Instead of Installing the ZV8, I installed LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab using KDZ. everything else I did as you did. Now I can get the 3G symbol to appear. I can't confirm if 3G works since I didn't pay my bill but it seems like it is working. When I open the browser the two arrows look as if they are transmitting data.

PS. The home and option buttons are switched. I had to use Option+Vol Down+power to get to recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

Liimon

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
SUCCESS! I have stumbled upon the solution! My mega-bricked phone is back from the dead with data service. I found an old .qcn file that I had saved in QPST several months back. When I read the values from my phone with no data service they were very different than the ones saved in the .qcn file. In my non-working phone there were only two profiles defined under the M.IP tab in QPST. In the working configuration there are three profiles and many of the other settings are very different. I can post whatever will be helpful to you guys. . How can I help?

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty