[kernel] GB/IHO jawz101-20120907(now with USB fastcharge mod)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been working on this for about a month & I've maintained a thread over in XDA for the time being but since things get too geeky over there I guess more users tend to stay in Android Central.
I will say that I'll only be paying attention to the XDA thread more than anything over here but I do want to throw my work out here.
I've been working on a kernel based on mrg666's source, pulling in a bunch of commits from all over, specifically tried & true work from kernel dev's for the p500. So, thanks to the following for their work. People I've cherry picked from:
franciscofranco (!!!)
DJNoXD (official but modified- cyanogenmod kernel for the p500)
drewwalton19216801's hydrokernel ... and probably a couple other repos I found but it's been a while. Regardless, they were pulling stuff from other people into their kernels (Imoseyon, Lord ClockaN, Code Aurora, and others)

... and, of course BobZhome, Blarf, tvall and anyone else who I've admired for their contributions.

Anyways, the kernel is a work in progress until I run out of ideas. Changelog is the commit log so I don't wanna have to type it all up. Stuff backported from 3.x kernels and anything else I can find that I've seen more than one person use more than once, looks easy to implement, and doesn't make my head explode.

Downloads are here

Always backup, wipe cache & dalvik cache. you'll need to disable signature verification to install as I'm not signing the apk's right now.

If you experience bugs you can do an advanced restore from your backup & just restore the boot.img since that's where the kernel resides.

Since I'm over on XDA more than here that'd be the place where I'll be.

If you decide to try compiling the kernel for yourself the only differences you'd experience from other kernels is I use the latest Linaro toolchain & I enable ccache for compiling to significantly improve compile times. Google's developer website & Cyanogenmod's wiki both have little walkthroughs on setting it up and it's maybe 2 changes you do on your dev box.

I won't do ICS or Jellybean work as I'd rather get a new phone since I have to underclock mine to even run the ICS ROMs. Plus, gingerbread still just feels right.
Also, since I keep up with any changes mrg666 does on his kernel if any of his commits conflict with ones I've done his will take precedence in my mind since I trust him more than I trust myself (the ccache, disabling optimize for size & build flags I use are hard pressed for me to change just because that's about the only changes that deviate from the norm).

Thank ya
20120907 - I will warn that this build is experimental. I mean, it works but I've not tested it a bunch.

added chad0989's USB Fast Charge Mod ported over to our phone
allows the phone to draw as much power via USB as you would via a wall charger so you can charge your phone faster when you charge it off a laptop and such.
downside is USB mass storage won't work when fast charging is toggled on.

To toggle on and off, via terminal execute these commands:
Fast charge can be toggled by issuing: echo 1 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge and off: echo 0 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge

Battery Monitor Widget can monitor the effect (I attached some screenshots from my phone before & after toggle).

I'll follow up with a little app to toggle the fast charging I can make through Tasker's app creator. Otherwise you can always donate to chad0989's effort by purchasing his toggle app
I'd test it first via the terminal before throwing money around, though.

Last edited:

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [kernel] jawz101 kernel 20120808 for GB IHO ROMs

I'm so glad I flashed back to CM7 today from CM9 because this was a wonderful treat. Thank you so much for this! I'll let you know if anything turns sour.

Reactions: anon(235100)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

bichin'. thanks for the feedback! ...ignore the typo. wouldn't let me use the word I wanted to use :)

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

All I can say is a very interesting kernel. Just started using it and it seems to be pretty speedy.

Its 10 points faster then mrg666's, but this was after the 2nd reboot with it installed.

Either way, you have my thanks :)

Reactions: anon(235100)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well there's certainly enough things out there we could be doing. I don't put much clout on benchmarks. If you run one again it'll go up and down depending on how the wind is blowing. If you touch your screen a lot while the rest is running it'll cripple cpu score simply because it's thinking about that along with the test. Just sayin I couldn't say that I did any changes that made noticeable improvements, but improvements nonetheless.

I was trying to update the adreno drivers earlier and enable something called dm-cache which improves ssd performance but didn't have success. Those would've made for bragging rights. If anyone is a programmer out there both are in that candied kernel mentioned earlier.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Well there's certainly enough things out there we could be doing. I don't put much clout on benchmarks. If you run one again it'll go up and down depending on how the wind is blowing. If you touch your screen a lot while the rest is running it'll cripple cpu score simply because it's thinking about that along with the test. Just sayin I couldn't say that I did any changes that made noticeable improvements, but improvements nonetheless.

I was trying to update the adreno drivers earlier and enable something called dm-cache which improves ssd performance but didn't have success. Those would've made for bragging rights. If anyone is a programmer out there both are in that candied kernel mentioned earlier.

It wouldn't have to much effect if its for high level FS, this phone uses a low level FS(Already has SSD optimizations). It might improve the cache if it is on an SD-EXT as that uses a high level FS.

Last edited:

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm soo tempted to use this with Zackman's CM10 JellyBean port!(even though its built strictly for GB)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

another thing I was trying to implement is USB fast charging. a guy on XDA forums (chad0989 I believe) made a kernel patch for several other phones that allows USB power to draw as much as it can when connected to USB. Reporting as perfectly safe for the phone & battery. Only drawback - which I don't consider a drawback- is USB mass storage doesn't work while you have it fast charging. Considering some of my car charges draw at USB current and I also like to charge from my laptop at work I'd love to get it working. Whenever I try to apply the patch to the kernel it fails to compile, though.

I'm pretty sure the Quattrimus aokp ROM has it for ICS though I don't know if it works on it. Never really played with the ICS-ROMs because my phone didn't like them.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

another thing I was trying to implement is USB fast charging. a guy on XDA forums (chad0989 I believe) made a kernel patch for several other phones that allows USB power to draw as much as it can when connected to USB. Reporting as perfectly safe for the phone & battery. Only drawback - which I don't consider a drawback- is USB mass storage doesn't work while you have it fast charging. Considering some of my car charges draw at USB current and I also like to charge from my laptop at work I'd love to get it working. Whenever I try to apply the patch to the kernel it fails to compile, though.

I'm pretty sure the Quattrimus aokp ROM has it for ICS though I don't know if it works on it. Never really played with the ICS-ROMs because my phone didn't like them.

Can you link to the thread with the patch?

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to post another thread on the USB fast charging so we get more exposure people can chime in on the topic. It'd be slick to get in some kernels!

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to add something. If anyone wants to take anything from my kernel please do. There's nothing in it that's something I own. If you take it all as a whole it'd be nice to see my name somewhere just so peeps can keep track of the progression of our collected efforts. If you're a github user I highly suggest following some of the other guys on here and that candied kernel mentioned in the op since it's getting new stuff from official cm7 kernel for our cm-supported twin phone model and then some. I wish I knew how to get it compatible directly because then I'd probably not need to do much of anything. A call to other kernel peeps. Let's go that direction:p.

If you're on the fence on Rom versus kernel concepts the kernel is where battery and performance optimizations come from. Roms include a kernel but the rest of a Rom is mainly gui and what makes Android look like Android.you can install a Rom and slap a new kernel on whenever you want if it's the same Android version (froyo, GBP,ics,etc) and if it's compatible with your phone model (optimus v and sometimes the p500).

Last edited:

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

btw, I also compiled the hydrokernel to see how it works on our phones as a side experiment and it was pretty choppy in games I tried out so I didn't really dig too far.

Reactions: thewraith420

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
btw, I also compiled the hydrokernel to see how it works on our phones as a side experiment and it was pretty choppy in games I tried out so I didn't really dig too far.

That must be do to cm7. In stock gb and ics hydro/ginger kernel are very fast.

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running LS670ZVJ Baseband on Mandylion IHO ROM

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95