[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Using the 0819 os2sd with TWRP multi v4; only thing that wouldn't flash is the sprint fix, and of course as already mentioned, neither Link2SD nor Toucanscrypt work with it.

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

Tried new kernel, unfortunately it put my optimus in boot loop right after LG logo. I guess it's because the kernel was looking for system in the new location, which wasn't yet available in 6/29 build. I believe Bigsupersquid mentioned a while back the old source was lost, so it was wrong of me to expect this kernel to work with old builds. Guess I'll have to wait for the new release after all. Thanks for trying Bigsupersquid.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Using the 0819 os2sd with TWRP multi v4; only thing that wouldn't flash is the sprint fix, and of course as already mentioned, neither Link2SD nor Toucanscrypt work with it.
well, os2sd is like uber-link2sd... everything is already there instead of linking it.
the new sprint fix wouldn't flash? I though I fixed that, it needed an older(!) update-binary. I'll double-check it.
//edit: ugh, you're right, the update-binary is not fixed yet to be generic. getting to that now, both sprint and verizon.
//end edit
new os2sd build seems to be working fine. camera works, no video tearing in mms video capture, wallpapers are ok, accelerometer lovely.
the f2fs version will need the newest twrp 2.8... you should be able to use the multi-v4 for the ext4 version, but I'd still advise upgrading the recovery.
I will have the userdebug build up soon. ext4 first, f2fs second. they take like 45 min to upload each.

I'll put up specific f2fs instructions in the os2sd OP when it goes up. fun shiny new filesystem type that supposedly gets around ext4 issues like journaling. I'd also advise giving the f2fs a spin... you have to change the system and data filesystem type in twrp under wipe>advanced one at a time, but that's not too hard. It'll format those partitions. You can't f2fs the internal partitions, by the way.

Last edited:

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So i really want to use this rom, i flashed twrp 2.8 from zengarden. booted into twrp it worked. then i wiped all internal partitions. partitioned my sd according to your instructions from the recovery. then used gparted to format the ext4 parts to f2fs on the sdcard.
my phone ran out of battery completely and is now doing the lg start up loop where it runs out of battery starting up and then reboots cause it has a charger still plugged in.

so im stuck almost to flashing your os2sd f2fs build. :(
i currently have setup like this
"So it wont charge.....get a USB cable you don't use, cut off the end that doesn't connect to USB port, strip out the black wire, cut off the white and green wire, strip off the black and red wire to get to the copper, connect black to (-) and red to (+) on the battery terminals."
and it doesnt seem to be charging the battery at all. any ideas?

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

NVM, it worked. IT WORKED. it worked it worked it worked.
Sammyz' black and red to battery terminal jig got me up to 70% battery in 20 minutes and now im flashing in twrp. :D ROCK ON

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I forgot to mention it (because I wasn't able to attach the pic), but the lockscreen clock's not quite perfect. The date isn't centered properly, which is odd because I know previous versions had all that on point (the internal builds did, anyway).

Screenshot_2014-09-04-03-24-02.png

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Is there a reason why google keyboard doesnt show up in the play store? i Like to use it instead of the aosp keyboard.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Is there a reason why google keyboard doesnt show up in the play store? i Like to use it instead of the aosp keyboard.
because it'll force close on armv6 devices.
you'll need some other gesture keyboard that doesn't build too high a hardware spec unlike Google.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I forgot to mention it (because I wasn't able to attach the pic), but the lockscreen clock's not quite perfect. The date isn't centered properly, which is odd because I know previous versions had all that on point (the internal builds did, anyway).

View attachment 135798
interesting, didn't spot that.
probably an overlay issue but dunno yet.
looks like you got it installed and running, at least, eh?

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

ahh thank you. also im gonna be posting some logcats and dmesgs soon because im getting reboots. and just for debugging purposes can you guide me on collecting a kmesg?
and another question, will your kernel ever support dynamic fsync?

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

interesting, didn't spot that.
probably an overlay issue but dunno yet.
looks like you got it installed and running, at least, eh?

Yup. And now I'm having some pretty bizarre space issues. I have well over 100MB remaining of internal memory, but...
1. Once it gets into the 115-120MB range, it acts just like devices that really have 2GB internal...and it swears it's out of space.
2. Odder still, it seems like it's picky & choosy about what apps it wants to have installed: Angry Birds Star Wars II, an app that's ~45MB, and Cross Hearts Arcadia, and app that's ~34MB, installed just fine while AniPan (~19.5MB) and CM Security (~4MB) WOULDN'T...which makes absolutely no sense to me.

So essentially, I still can't put back all of my apps...but that's okay, because at least it's up & running. (Though I had to set the camera's focus mode to infinity a whopping three times before that setting finally stuck)

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Welp, my build is running perfect. i have had no issues after i ran fsck.f2fs on data and system partitions. it even fixed my booting problems.
which is weird af because i thought fsck didnt work on f2fs.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

ahh thank you. also im gonna be posting some logcats and dmesgs soon because im getting reboots. and just for debugging purposes can you guide me on collecting a kmesg?
and another question, will your kernel ever support dynamic fsync?
post em to pastebin.com and put the links here.

cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/kmsg.txt

it's pretty much the same as dmesg though.
more useful,
cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
after a reboot.
haven't heard of dynamic fsync, I'll look it up.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Yup. And now I'm having some pretty bizarre space issues. I have well over 100MB remaining of internal memory, but...
1. Once it gets into the 115-120MB range, it acts just like devices that really have 2GB internal...and it swears it's out of space.
2. Odder still, it seems like it's picky & choosy about what apps it wants to have installed: Angry Birds Star Wars II, an app that's ~45MB, and Cross Hearts Arcadia, and app that's ~34MB, installed just fine while AniPan (~19.5MB) and CM Security (~4MB) WOULDN'T...which makes absolutely no sense to me.

So essentially, I still can't put back all of my apps...but that's okay, because at least it's up & running. (Though I had to set the camera's focus mode to infinity a whopping three times before that setting finally stuck)
internal acts weird with the app linking and space issues.
i think everything I'm aware of is fixed on the last os2sd release...
considering a minimal function internal release with anything not needed for basic phone functions in /extras to sideload for you diehard internal users.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Ehh...that IS on os2sd, doc. The 0819 one.
ah, you said internal memory which confused me.
I'm past any consistent source code to debug the older releases now... I lost several commits by not pushing to github.

you should update to the newest os2sd. it is much more functional.
You should be able to migrate your data long as you stick with the ext4 version, even though it won't let you dirty flash most likely. for ext4 you don't absolutely have to update twrp as well, though I'd recommend it anyway.

in twrp, os2sd mode, wipe>advanced dalvik-cache and /cache.
then backup just /data.
then wipe>advanced /data /system and /cache.
then install the ext4 version rom.
restore data.
carrier fixes still borked, I'm afraid.

If you want to try it use the f2fs version, you'll have to update twrp as well.
then instead of just wiping /data and /system,
wipe>advanced, select /data, press the bar at the bottom that says 'repair or change filesystem.'
select change filesystem, select f2fs, swipe.
repeat for /system.
wipe>advanced and wipe /cache.
then install the f2fs version.

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

The issues of rebooting arent ocurring anymore and this build is running solid. did you find dynamic fsync yet? there are a lot of kernel features that could be added that will really speed up these builds. also, have you set the "lowram" flag or whatever it is in the build.prop?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

The issues of rebooting arent ocurring anymore and this build is running solid.
good. sometimes apparently it takes a while to settle in on new roms, especially these big ones.
did you find dynamic fsync yet? there are a lot of kernel features that could be added that will really speed up these builds.
feel free to suggest specific kernel patches. source links help immensely too.
As the kernel thread says, I may or may not get to the patches.
also, have you set the "lowram" flag or whatever it is in the build.prop?
android_device_qcom_msm7x27/msm7x27.mk said:
# Memory
PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES += \
ro.config.low_ram=true

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

sweggy. whenever i get around to it. i will conjure up a list of links to github commits for modifications.

lgrootnoob

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

1st set of links to commits. remember that i only compile kernels on x86_64 so i dont understand a good amount of the implications of what im linking.
dfsync,(seems like a simple config change, maybe requires other dependencies from faux123) https://github.com/tiny4579/android_kernel_common/commit/d65ea7175f84f207081434907fc50d399dfdd750

A set of lz4 commits (theyve since been reverted for some reason, you tell me)
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/5f017eb3887134bc473c0850e6863f3bdc41cf51
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/812e730ef5fba37ab7aafda7e4cc8562c49b3635
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/bac153ff3f6cceddc6396ff4db7236c61193ef9a
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/9feedcc64bbd093e443acfff412139d2fb3e4d39
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/3dd0b91b472ada3fd7f501970c2eccb39436d53b
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/9e3a32a44af1d7bb43843846cc6b7eeba04054fc
https://github.com/Metallice/android_kernel_grouper/commit/7ea0737ce0aee446f6c91c42c87a28673ff84e95

also, in the kernel can you add a small bit of voltage at 84* and 86* mhz? i cant get up to those steps without reboot. i can only get to 82*.
thats all i have right now. another question, do you ever plan to move to a newer toolchain and maybe backport some some new versions of tcp congestion control and governors like deadline from the mainline kernel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty