[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
A separate question: Does flashing these roms also unlock the phone for international use?

nope, need a p500 for that. gsm.
unless you've got sprint cdma service 'over there.'

the new rom is uploaded to the android file host folder. not all media streams, and netflix still crashes, but has definite media improvements. mxplayer plays flv...

sil333

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've used the OS2SD version in the past (I believe the 9/6 version was the last one I tried) and while it was really nice to have access to apps that aren't available for Froyo/GB, unfortunately there was just too much instability and too many apps that weren't working and I was slowly being driven nuts. I've since been using BobZhome GB/ICS roms. However, as much as I love the rock-solid stability of GB, I miss some apps (or versions of apps) that are only available for ICS or higher. And although I like ICS, the rom on the site has way too many bugs/limitations for me to use it as a daily rom (no wifi tethering, no usb support at all [no adb/tethering/mass storage], some app instabilities, etc).

Long story short, I'm considering giving KK a shot again. I'd like to use the internal version with Toucanscrypt, but am worried about the lack of /system space. I'm a minimalist when it comes to many things in life, including my phone. There are some apps that are wrapped up in the internal build that I don't want (like PicoTTS for example, or Trebuchet; I'd like to package a launcher that I use that's about a third the size). My OV is my everyday phone and I don't know enough about rom building to feel comfortable enough with simply deleting the apks from the zip and then flashing it over. If I royally screw something up I am potentially without a phone for a few days. Plus, I know that there are some apks that have libs and other files associated with them that I can safely delete, but I don't know what they are.

I'm actually very interested in learning Android kernel and rom programming/building, so I see this as a nice way to start learning. Are there any sites (or is there anyone here) that would be able to explain not only which files are associated with which apks, which ones are safe to remove, etc, but also give an explanation of just what all the files in the zip are? I'm assuming that if I remove a good portion of the apks or other files that aren't essential and that I don't want from the internal zip, then I won't run into any problems with space in /system. Is that correct?

Which gapps are absolutely essential for basic use of an Android device (i.e. the device won't boot/work without them), and which gapps are absolutely essential for communicating with the Google servers (for access to the Play Store and whatever else)? Basically I want to create the smallest internal gapps package possible. Once I link /data to /sd-ext I'll let Google update whatever gapps it needs to (play store, framework services, etc) since the updates will go into /data where I have a lot of space instead of /system where I have limited space.

Lastly, what is CrossBreeder and is it useful for the internal and/or external build?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've used the OS2SD version in the past (I believe the 9/6 version was the last one I tried) and while it was really nice to have access to apps that aren't available for Froyo/GB, unfortunately there was just too much instability and too many apps that weren't working and I was slowly being driven nuts. I've since been using BobZhome GB/ICS roms. However, as much as I love the rock-solid stability of GB, I miss some apps (or versions of apps) that are only available for ICS or higher. And although I like ICS, the rom on the site has way too many bugs/limitations for me to use it as a daily rom (no wifi tethering, no usb support at all [no adb/tethering/mass storage], some app instabilities, etc).

Long story short, I'm considering giving KK a shot again. I'd like to use the internal version with Toucanscrypt, but am worried about the lack of /system space. I'm a minimalist when it comes to many things in life, including my phone. There are some apps that are wrapped up in the internal build that I don't want (like PicoTTS for example, or Trebuchet; I'd like to package a launcher that I use that's about a third the size). My OV is my everyday phone and I don't know enough about rom building to feel comfortable enough with simply deleting the apks from the zip and then flashing it over. If I royally screw something up I am potentially without a phone for a few days. Plus, I know that there are some apks that have libs and other files associated with them that I can safely delete, but I don't know what they are.

I'm actually very interested in learning Android kernel and rom programming/building, so I see this as a nice way to start learning. Are there any sites (or is there anyone here) that would be able to explain not only which files are associated with which apks, which ones are safe to remove, etc, but also give an explanation of just what all the files in the zip are? I'm assuming that if I remove a good portion of the apks or other files that aren't essential and that I don't want from the internal zip, then I won't run into any problems with space in /system. Is that correct?

Which gapps are absolutely essential for basic use of an Android device (i.e. the device won't boot/work without them), and which gapps are absolutely essential for communicating with the Google servers (for access to the Play Store and whatever else)? Basically I want to create the smallest internal gapps package possible. Once I link /data to /sd-ext I'll let Google update whatever gapps it needs to (play store, framework services, etc) since the updates will go into /data where I have a lot of space instead of /system where I have limited space.

Lastly, what is CrossBreeder and is it useful for the internal and/or external build?
ok.
the internal zip is about as thin as it can get and still run.
you can remove camera and gallery, voice search and system/usr/srec

the pa_facilitator is the thinnest gapps that syncs, has gms, and play. it's just got bloated files cause they're new. substitute the oldest kitkat versions you can find if you want it tinier but it'll sideload about 45mB in /data if you do, because google will forcibly download the latest gmscore(35mB or so) before downloading anything else off play, and vending(about 7mB.)

no gapps are needed for boot or rom function. just google services, and apps that need them.

CrossBreeder is a tweak. Great on os2sd, only fits on internal if it's very trimmed down or no gapps at all.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
haha, I got external/chromium_org to build without using the dang prebuilt flag.
Nifty trick here.
I only had to add LOCAL_ARM_MODE := arm to about 50 makefiles to finally get it all to compile.

woo, 268mB in /system with the odexing. the built libwebcore added over 10mB I think.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay...got the 10/30 ROM and the 10/28 pa_facilitator along with the new pico gapps. Gonna try this out to see if it finally boots...have to get back to you later, though.

UPDATE: ...damn, daamn, daaaaamn!!! It still won't boot!! Wipe, flashed ROM, Sprint Fix, Pico pa_gapps, pa_facilitator - even trying it with just ROM>Sprint Fix>pa_facilitator - they all install fine, but it just refuses to boot!! After the LG, it sits there doing absolutely nothing. I copied the recovery log to the SD card (what's the file extension so I know what to look for when I upload it?), and...that's all I can do for now (don't have my own computer; relying mainly on library computers).

I am stumped. I have no clue at all why this thing won't boot into the ROM at all now.

Last edited:

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
In my experience with the first day running the 10/30 build, with cross breeder, I've experienced a couple random reboots that would make the phone boot into recovery, the occasional lock up of the ROM with a lit black screen, and the occasional too stubborn to boot fit that I've experienced in the past with previous builds as well.
Usually these lock ups and reboots occur when I'm just abusing the phone with severe multitasking(using various xposed framework modules), or doing too much too early after it boots. Other than my usual boot hiccups/freeze ups that I have experienced in the past, it is still working fine for me.
(I gotta stop abusing the RAM so much before my phone gets an attitude and bites me back, haha.)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay...got the 10/30 ROM and the 10/28 pa_facilitator along with the new pico gapps. Gonna try this out to see if it finally boots...have to get back to you later, though.

UPDATE: ...damn, daamn, daaaaamn!!! It still won't boot!! Wipe, flashed ROM, Sprint Fix, Pico pa_gapps, pa_facilitator - even trying it with just ROM>Sprint Fix>pa_facilitator - they all install fine, but it just refuses to boot!! After the LG, it sits there doing absolutely nothing. I copied the recovery log to the SD card (what's the file extension so I know what to look for when I upload it?), and...that's all I can do for now (don't have my own computer; relying mainly on library computers).

I am stumped. I have no clue at all why this thing won't boot into the ROM at all now.
recovery.log

how weird. Try the rom with no other zip files at all and see if it'll boot?

the newer stuff seems more tempermental about OC settings. reboots if they're at all too high.
and I've gotten more random reboots lately too.

no gapps makes it faster/less glitchy.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does the cm-11-20141018-EXPERIMENTAL-f2fs_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc have the crossbreeder with your tweeks incorporated in it?

No, the crossbreeder is separate, and a link can be found on the first page.
Its also recommended to use the latest version of the ROM. The f2fs version had a few bugs in it that were fixed with the ext4 version. Current latest version as of this post is "cm-11-20141030-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip".

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Germitty

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the f2fs version I listed has been the best running yet for me (its been my daily since 10-19). Very responsive with very few crashes although battery drain is a bit much. I thought crossbreeder might be in it since there is a longer than usual lag time between the LG and the cyanogenmod screens as squid said there would be. Also I downloaded the crossbreeder apk and it says it is turning on the different features. I downloaded the cm-11-20141030-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip version and will try it on a different sd card as I don't want to lose what is working now. I will add the crossbreeder as you said and will see how it works. Thanks very much.

QuinnSF

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Try mounting (check marking) system, cache, and data in Recovery.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to mount my SD card yeaterday w/ ext3 but it never worked, turns out only ext4 works for internal. I installed the non internal gapps, that's probably why I could only load <10mb apps. I loaded the OS2SD and it is freaking awesome! You should switch to it instead of internal if you haven't yet, it's sooo much better. Thanks bigsupersquid!

Before I flashed internal, I had tried os2sd f2fs for a full week. It was really sluggish for me and had terribly bad battery drain on wifi for me. I had thought it was due to a borderlined-slow SD card (was only getting 0.6MB/s on 4K random write tests), but given recent thread posts I'm wondering if it was more due to f2fs than my SD card. I have internal running very well right now, but I may try the recent ext4 os2sd build since people seem to really like it. Just need to have some downtime when I can afford to have the phone offline for a while.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

when you say wipe, you mean system, data, and cache? gotta clean it all sometimes.
otherwise, in the next version, I could maybe get a startup script in there that'd dump logcat to sdcard to pull in recovery.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Squiddie, Tkrusse updated the gapps to 11-3 can you please update the facilitator?
well, the gms core, play services, and vending are all still current... google hasn't pushed anything newer to my phone. Those are mostly what the facilitator is, aside from removing the worst offending armv7 stuff that regular gapps have by default.
I'd say if anything is updated, it's newer apps, and you could flash a bigger package than pico then the facilitator to get those.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
when you say wipe, you mean system, data, and cache? gotta clean it all sometimes.
otherwise, in the next version, I could maybe get a startup script in there that'd dump logcat to sdcard to pull in recovery.

When wiping, I wipe everything but SD card. Gonna try the ROM itself and see what happens.

I noticed something odd, however: I had a backup of an older OS2SD (I think the one that was alongside the 09/04 internal version), but even that wouldn't work, whereas a backup of a JB ROM that I had worked kinda fine.

Going into folders to check the numbers on file sizes, it seems that TWRP didn't properly backup "system.ext4.win" in that case: the JB one had a size of 96.91MB, where the KK one was just 1KB (and I *had* sufficient space at the time I made that backup; I wouldn't have done it otherwise)...so when that KK backup kept sayin' "No OS installed" when I wanted to reboot, I see why. Not sure if there's a connection...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty