ROM Manager working on Optimus V

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have ROM Manager working on the LG Optimus V!

Good Part:

ROM Manager works with aosp's clockworkmod recovery port version 3.0.0.6 for the non-OTA/Download functions.

This means ROM Manager can be used to
-Boot into Recovery
-Install ROM from SD card
-Manage Nandroid Backups

Bad Part:

Because the free version of ROM Manager only supports functions through the officially supported recovery on officially supported devices only, This only works using ROM Manager Premium!

-The Device/Recovery version shows as "Clockworkmod Unknown"
-ROM Manager can't be used to flash the recovery.
-Since there's no support for this phone there's no OTA downloadable ROMs
-I've only tested this using CWM 3.x
-I have not yet tested this with a Froyo-based recovery

The download link for the CWM recovery 3.0.0.6 .img is available at aosp's aospCMod ROM thread here

With the recovery and ROM Manager Premium installed (Market App)
Open ROM Manager and select: Menu > Override Recovery Flasher
This will indicate that you already have CWM recovery installed and will bypass the need to flash it before attempting an operation such as Flashing a ROM.

The Current Recovery should read: ClockworkMod Unknown.
The basic functions should work.

This can lead to official support for the Optimus V now that there's a known recovery that works with it!
I'm planning on testing this method with a 2.5.x CWM recovery for froyo rom flashing.

Reactions: thexxoffspring

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have ROM Manager working on the LG Optimus V!

Good Part:

ROM Manager works with aosp's clockworkmod recovery port version 3.0.0.6 for the non-OTA/Download functions.

This means ROM Manager can be used to
-Boot into Recovery
-Install ROM from SD card
-Manage Nandroid Backups

Bad Part:

Because the free version of ROM Manager only supports functions through the officially supported recovery on officially supported devices only, This only works using ROM Manager Premium!

-The Device/Recovery version shows as "Clockworkmod Unknown"
-ROM Manager can't be used to flash the recovery.
-Since there's no support for this phone there's no OTA downloadable ROMs
-I've only tested this using CWM 3.x
-I have not yet tested this with a Froyo-based recovery

The download link for the CWM recovery 3.0.0.6 .img is available at aosp's aospCMod ROM thread here

With the recovery and ROM Manager Premium installed (Market App)
Open ROM Manager and select: Menu > Override Recovery Flasher
This will indicate that you already have CWM recovery installed and will bypass the need to flash it before attempting an operation such as Flashing a ROM.

The Current Recovery should read: ClockworkMod Unknown.
The basic functions should work.

This can lead to official support for the Optimus V now that there's a known recovery that works with it!
I'm planning on testing this method with a 2.5.x CWM recovery for froyo rom flashing.

this is awesome. when could we see roms in rom manager?

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm just a sort-of-noob who used persistence and thought outside the box to find a way to get rom manager working with the recovery port by not using the app to reflash a recovery image and just see what happens.

Simply put, I thought of this:
"Rom manager uses CWM recovery. I have CWM recovery, why wouldn't it work with rom manager then?"

All I needed to do was try a function in rom manager using the recovery that was already on my phone. I found a way to do this and it worked!
I could have come very close to bricking.

To start with official support for rom manager the dev (aosp) who ported the cwm recovery to our phones has to contact the dev of rom manager (Koush) so the recovery can be added into rom manager.

This is so our optimus recovery can be downloaded and flashed using rom manager. This also enables rom devs to allow the ota updates as well.

I understand zefie has created a cwm recovery that uses the older froyo-based scripts for the optimus S. This could possibly be ported to the V to be used for froyo roms.

Bottom line is the recovery dev needs to send the recovery to the dev of rom manager before we can get official support and start to flash roms ota.
So that would be aosp's decision.