07-15-2012 11:23 PM
151 ... 4567
tools
    As for what a cop or someone else could see, have fun. I hope they like looking at various flower themed wallpaper and reading lovey-dovey messages.

Oh, and I hope they have a warrant....
    Depending upon the circumstances, they don't need a warrant to search your phone. And there is software available to LE that allows them to access just about any phone (iPhone, BB, Android, etc) regardless of the security measures incorporated. This software is probably already leaked, so criminals most likely have a copy by now (or will soon, it's just a matter of time), and then any criminal who finds your phone can get all your info off it.
    05-08-2011 07:13 PM
    Depending upon the circumstances, they don't need a warrant to search your phone. And there is software available to LE that allows them to access just about any phone (iPhone, BB, Android, etc) regardless of the security measures incorporated. This software is probably already leaked, so criminals most likely have a copy by now (or will soon, it's just a matter of time), and then any criminal who finds your phone can get all your info off it.
    Yes, I know a few law enforcement agencies have it, and I suspect that it won't be long before they are in a lawsuit over it. Stopping me for speeding or expired tags doesn't give them the right to search my phone. While some places can and will search your car without a warrant, those places are usually places you shouldn't be anyhow. One wrong step and the E.F.F. will be all over them for it. I'm pretty sure they are already looking into it. Regardless, you still have rights, stand up for them. There is a good video on youtube regarding how to deal with cops wanting to search your car.

Anyhow, you miss-understand, there is nothing sensitive on my phone. I treat my phone and laptop as if they are a public computer, nothing sensitive is stored there. Yes, I have contacts and a few passcodes, but they are worthless if you don't know what they go to. My sensitive info, is all kept password protected (and is not stored locally at all), on my home server, which can be accessed from any internet connection. I can wipe the phone remotely, or track it, but there is nothing on the phone itself to be too concerned about so they can scan all day long, they won't get anything.

As for criminals,
    If they have one of those scanners, they probably would be better off stealing a phone from someone who is paying more than $25 a month for their phone service.
    05-08-2011 09:10 PM
    I know this is off topic, but one last note on privacy. If you use google's sync feature, you are sol. You can wipe your phone all you want. Google makes backups of your contacts, emails, what have you. Even the deleted ones. I have gone through COUNTLESS wipes and flashes of my my phone. My contacts.db still has the names and phone numbers of people I deleted months ago. The only way this could have happened is google. I use it to restore my contacts. Who knew that would also store my deleted contacts? I'm not sure how long the deleted contacts stay in the file, but it is scary to think that maybe google keeps track of everyone you ever add to your phone book. I don't see how it serves any function besides scaring me. The end user cannot restore the deleted contacts without manually extracting the file and examining it. That means that only google knows that it is there and only google can use it (for whatever they would use it for). </rant>
    05-08-2011 10:10 PM
    They just stay in Other Contacts on Google Contacts in the web interface until you delete them from there.
    05-08-2011 10:59 PM
    I know this is off topic, but one last note on privacy. If you use google's sync feature, you are sol. You can wipe your phone all you want. Google makes backups of your contacts, emails, what have you. Even the deleted ones. I have gone through COUNTLESS wipes and flashes of my my phone. My contacts.db still has the names and phone numbers of people I deleted months ago. The only way this could have happened is google. I use it to restore my contacts. Who knew that would also store my deleted contacts? I'm not sure how long the deleted contacts stay in the file, but it is scary to think that maybe google keeps track of everyone you ever add to your phone book. I don't see how it serves any function besides scaring me. The end user cannot restore the deleted contacts without manually extracting the file and examining it. That means that only google knows that it is there and only google can use it (for whatever they would use it for). </rant>
    I take it you've never read Gmail's terms of service have you.

It's not as bad as Facebook (they don't give it out to every Tom, **** and Harry and it's anonymized) but it's certainly not great either.
    05-08-2011 11:02 PM
    They just stay in Other Contacts on Google Contacts in the web interface until you delete them from there.
    They are deleted completely for me in the web interface, but I can clearly see them in my contacts database file on the phone including the contact information. Even if nothing nefarious is happening, this is just sloppy on google's part. Any "normal user" would assume all that information has been deleted.

@LeslieAnn
    Doesn't everybody read the 300 page highly technical ToS before clicking accept to create their account? I mean, I know you're eager to share your pet cam footage on Youtube, but no one would be silly enough to click accept without first reading the ToS cover to cover and consulting with a lawyer, right?

Also, in case you guys missed it in my other thread, I already posted direct links to the firmware updates from LG's servers:

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV5_07/VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab
    csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab

Parsing the link
    Model number: LGVM670
    Country/Service/Phone Color Code: AVGMBK = America + Virgin Mobile + Black
    Baseband: V5
    Version: 07
    PRL: 61007

What I find interesting is the S5_07 and S4_13. I haven't see any firmware from other phones with that code. Maybe that S is significant.
    05-09-2011 12:15 AM
    @LeslieAnn
    Doesn't everybody read the 300 page highly technical ToS before clicking accept to create their account? I mean, I know you're eager to share your pet cam footage on Youtube, but no one would be silly enough to click accept without first reading the ToS cover to cover and consulting with a lawyer, right?
    I didn't, but I remember when it was first released and how the stinky stuff hit the fan and was lightly being scattered around. It made news, but everyone thought much to highly of Google to pay any attention to it.

"Google is good!!!!"
    05-09-2011 01:28 AM
    @LeslieAnn

Also, in case you guys missed it in my other thread, I already posted direct links to the firmware updates from LG's servers:

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV5_07/VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab
    csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab

Parsing the link
    Model number: LGVM670
    Country/Service/Phone Color Code: AVGMBK = America + Virgin Mobile + Black
    Baseband: V5
    Version: 07
    PRL: 61007

What I find interesting is the S5_07 and S4_13. I haven't see any firmware from other phones with that code. Maybe that S is significant.
    How does one do the firmware update using the cab file?
    05-09-2011 05:32 AM
    Normally, you would follow the guide I posted in this forum, but the cab files don't extract correctly at the moment. There is either something wrong with them or our approach. Either way, the files are useless until we sort it out.
    05-09-2011 08:29 AM
    Wait So Did Someone Update The Firmware??? If You Did Did it change anything or is this update even real or made for the lg optimus v??
    07-27-2011 02:33 AM
    but the cab files don't extract correctly at the moment. .
    File 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab' can be easily unpacked with Total Commander. It contains two files:
    VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb MD5: b53da998018b1d1298e54ccda44f94fe
    VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh MD5:96b0763d2013cf065e115d86208bc139

By the way, the link to 'VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab' is dead. Can anyone upload the file? Thanks/

Here I copy my post from another forum:
    Has anyone successfully upgraded Optimums-V firmware VM670ZV4 to firmware VM670ZV5? I tried to use LGMobile Support Tool (from LG website) to upgrade the firmware. What I did was the following
    1) By pressing Volume_Down+Home+Power, I put the handset to a special mode. The screen shows:
    Android system recovery <3e>
    Android system recovery utility
    (selectable options are below: )
    Reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition

2) Connected the phone to my PC running WinXP SP3. In PC's Device Manager, the following shows up: ADB Interface, LGE Android Platform USB Modem, and Ports. I have captured my PC screen in the attached file.

3) I started the LG Tool. It first checked the phone, then created folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone" and downloaded the new firmware file 'VM670ZV5_07.cab' of size 101.4Mb into the folder. In this cab file, the following two files are packed:
    VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb 101Mb
    VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh 738 bytes

Immediately after these two files are unpacked into folder 'Phone', there was an error message by LG Tool about fatal error (not a MS Windows message). Then, the Tool automatically deleted all three files: 'VM670ZV5_07.cab', 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb', 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh' as well as the folder 'Phone' itself.

I managed to capture all three files and checked the two unpacked files against the original cab. The files are the same, so there seems to be no file corruption.

So far, i have one specific question: In which mode should the phone be during the upgrade? Should it be the mode I have just described above (Is it actually called "Emergency Download" ?) If I try to put the phone in a regular powered mode, only 'ADB Interface' shows up in Device Manager (no Ports) and the LG Tool does not detect the phone presence (although the phone itself shows USB Debugging icon in the top left corner).

If I connect the phone un-powered , then LG Tool does detect the the phone at first, but then aborts just before downloading the cab file.

Any advice?
    JerryScript likes this.
    10-21-2011 02:04 AM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ntly-work.html

if you can find the missing VM670*.dll that's not included in the firmware cab files and post it, you'll be my hero.
    that dll is needed to further unpack the wdb and wdh files into the bin, scr, prl and so on, to flash with lgnpst or kdz or whatever.
    rybshik likes this.
    10-21-2011 09:26 AM
    Is there a change log for these firmwares?
    10-21-2011 12:01 PM
    if you can find the missing VM670*.dll that's not included in the firmware cab files and post it.....
    Is that <VM670*.dll> specific to firmware VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007? Or is it a generic file, which work with any VM670 firmware for any carrier? Can you please give some pointers to how to use lgnpst with VM670 phone (better yet a brief tutorial) and what kind of version of lgnpst is needed?
    10-21-2011 12:37 PM
    4shared folder - My 4shared
    lgnpst is in my "other" folder
    rybshik likes this.
    10-21-2011 01:02 PM
    Is that <VM670*.dll> specific to firmware VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007? Or is it a generic file, which work with any VM670 firmware for any carrier? Can you please give some pointers to how to use lgnpst with VM670 phone (better yet a brief tutorial) and what kind of version of lgnpst is needed?
    yes, the dll is specific to each firmware.
    open a couple of the sprint optimus s firmware cabs and see the dll and labeling format for them.

fenrix has a ls670 dll in that 4shared which lets lgnpst flash the optimus v, but I haven't even found the firmware dlls anywhere, much less a .bin file to replace the ov firmware.

a tutorial for lgnpst won't help you unless you want to flash sprint firmware, which will block your data plan if you do it. no way to revert to an ov radio once you flash a sprint firmware or radio.
    you can google for that tut if you need it.
    10-21-2011 04:47 PM
    4shared folder - My 4shared
    lgnpst is in my "other" folder
    Thanks, I have downloaded the achieve, but is partially corrupt.
    10-21-2011 05:02 PM
    unless you want to flash sprint firmware, which will block your data plan if you do it. no way to revert to an ov radio once you flash a sprint firmware or radio..
    Actually, I want to get my Telus (Canada) EVDO data running on Optimus V as per tutorials:

[HOWTO] Edit PPP and M.IP to enable Data on Different Carriers

Dump Your Phone Memory.
    I plan to use a regular Telus Evdo dumb-phone (not an Android) as a donor of Evdo authorization credentials, i.e.M.IP, PPP username/password, NAI

So, for my purpose, I guess, any firmware would be ok, as long as it will let me overwrite Evdo authorization credentials and PRL.
    10-21-2011 05:13 PM
    LG Mobile Support Tool SUCKS! No One has ever succeded updating firmware with this tool, Sucks.
    12-13-2011 07:38 PM
    I have VM670 on 2.2.1, and my computer works. Ill try it. Might need help though.
    12-14-2011 11:58 AM
    Well as anyone might guess, LGMobile Update is a POS!
    12-14-2011 12:17 PM
    I did some research. LG says that the Optimus V will get a gingerbread update in mid 2012. So I think its safe to say that we all got excited over nothing.
    12-14-2011 12:27 PM
    I did some research. LG says that the Optimus V will get a gingerbread update in mid 2012. So I think its safe to say that we all got excited over nothing.
    How much do you care to bet it's only on new phones, besides, mid 2012?

Would be better to release ICS for it at that point. Not to mention mine won't last that long. Nor do I want it to.
    12-14-2011 07:53 PM
    Sorry, I'd check it out but like most people on this thread, I'm rommed out so I'm playing on 2.3.7 right now. Waiting for ICS to be released so I can drool over it and patiently stalk the IHO repositories until JerryScript ports it over to the OV.
    12-15-2011 01:46 AM
    Yeah I rommed my phone last night. So the upgrade is useless to me now.
    12-15-2011 01:14 PM
151 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD