So the impossible happened, I bought an iPhone. Impressions...

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've pretty much just done the same thing buying an iPhone 11 coming from nothing but Android phones previously. There are definitely things i miss like the ao display, Gboard and Android notifications, but iOS really is pretty slick. It really is much smoother than my 3xl, but it's mostly the animations.

Video on the 11 is amazing, but for point and shoot pictures of the kids, especially indoors, the 3xl Was still better. Much better in some instances.

I'm actually loving face id, which i think that i would. I really just wanted an apple watch. I've just gotten tired of the crappy app selection in my fancy watch, and the lack of a pixel watch has been baffling/frustrating. I'll be tempted to get the pixel 4 too, but i think I'll be just fine once my watch series 5 gets here next week.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed that if you let them sit in the background long enough, say a week every iPhones will freeze or become slow to respond. At least in my experience with 3 different iPhone generations.
It depends on what the apps are doing in the background. If they are sitting in RAM no extra juice is used because RAM is always on anyway.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I've also noticed that if you let them sit in the background long enough, say a week every iPhones will freeze or become slow to respond. At least in my experience with 3 different iPhone generations.

Haven't noticed this recently but I did notice it with my iPhone 7+.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I’ve never noticed slow downs with my iPhone X or any for that reason...running some betas I’ve had a few glitches but overall no slowdowns ...finally using my Max Pro starting today and you can feel the extra weight ...let’s see how carrying the two big boys feels ...haha

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
What's your other phone? I carried a note 8 and iPhone 8+ around for awhile it was to much. Needed 1 small phone to compliment the big one lol. So I have a note 9 and pixel 3.
I’ve never noticed slow downs with my iPhone X or any for that reason...running some betas I’ve had a few glitches but overall no slowdowns ...finally using my Max Pro starting today and you can feel the extra weight ...let’s see how carrying the two big boys feels ...haha

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
What's your other phone? I carried a note 8 and iPhone 8+ around for awhile it was to much. Needed 1 small phone to compliment the big one lol. So I have a note 9 and pixel 3.

I’m currently using the Note 10+ and 11 Max Pro ...I think I will adjust it’s early on ..haha

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone 11 Pro is the best overall smartphone right now. With the exception of price, Apple is finally doing a lot of things right. Even iOS has become less unbearable.

Sadly, I don't see Google or the Pixel 4 models challenging the iPhone very much, if at all. I still prefer Android 10, but currently, the iPhone 11 Pro deserves it's crown back. As I've said before, Google either cannot or will not compete at full potential.

I'm not even confident Google can take back the camera crown this year. They will seem behind in hardware features, like the lack of an ultra-wide lens; while Apple is widely seen as having closed the gap considerably between Google's photo processing algorithms and their own.

And I'm not seeing anything about video recording improvements -- that seriously matters nowadays. Even if Google maintains "best still photography," that alone is no longer enough to be called best smartphone camera anymore.

I also suspect the iPhone 11 models will straight up embarrass the Pixel 4 models in battery life.
I am not so sure that it will embarrass the pixel 4 with battery life. Right now on my pixel 3a I dont have to charge it every night like I did my xs max. The only time it charges outside of the weekends is when I driver to and from work. I would have to put my xs max on the charger every single night and that was with it reporting a 100% capacity and not issues.

guitarjamman

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've seriously been considering the iPhone 11 pro as a replacement for my Pixel 2XL, but there are two major hurdles that are keeping me back......iTunes and the lightning port.

I know that the iPhone of today does not rely on iTunes like they did when I had an older one, but the thought of having to install iTunes and use it to back up my phone and use it to its full potential sucks. The program is a computer hog and gets in the way. If I were able to drag and drop information like I can using file explorer on my PC with Android, I would pull the trigger. I'm able to use my phone as a flash drive in a pinch and that matters a lot to me.

Maybe I missed some major changes in iOS and the way apple handles a direct plug in to my PC, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from iTunes.

Secondly, Apple needs to ditch the lightning port and get on the USB-C train. When we go camping or on a trip, we bring a standard USB-C cable and can charge whatever needs it. I really hate the idea of needing to bring along a special cable for my phone that does not work with the tablets we have and my wife's phone.

If Apple could make the changes, I'd ditch Android and give iOS a shot. But until then, the convenience of Android will keep me around.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup you know it! The N10/10+ managed 4k posts by the time the phones shipped. Don't think Pixel can top that but who knows.
If I recall correctly a lot of those posts happened after some of us recieved our devices, but yes, I don't think the Pixel will get anywhere near that number. They sell a tiny fraction of phones compared to Samsung.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100% regarding the use of iTunes. I have an iPhone 7 for work and it's literally the worse phone they could've chosen for the type of work I do. I work in and out of the office, from home and in the field. Trying to record audio, video and pics on the iPhone and then transferring them to my work laptop is a cumbersome hot mess! It's time consuming and unproductive. I basically have to zip my files and email them to myself and if their to big, I have to save them as a Media file, compress then zip it, then email it. Then go on the PC, read each email, download each file, unzip them, organize, then file them into the correct folders then print

A note actually would've been perfect for my job but I can't use my personal device and connect it to my work laptop you know security and all that.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If I recall correctly a lot of those posts happened after some of us recieved our devices, but yes, I don't think the Pixel will get anywhere near that number. They sell a tiny fraction of phones compared to Samsung.

Also as @ezdoit mentioned, a good chunk of it was off topic.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I'm not trying give you a hard time but when you say best overall phone it can't just be a comparison against Google. I was under the impression you were including all brands and devices.

Also, shouldn't we have the Pixel in hand before hand over the trophy to Apple?

That would be no fun, discussions would be limited to facts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa