Virgin Mobile or MetroPCS?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm dropping my contract for good soon and I wanted some opinions on whom I should choose to go to for prepaid. I know soon MetroPCS and T-Mobile might be merging which means Metro's current CDMA phones will be cut down for GSM phones. I don't know too much about that and what that means but I know I heard somewhere to just wait to buy a Metro Phone until the merge happens. I don't know lol. Which has better service and customer support? Anyone out there that maybe have dealt with both companies and their phones?

Thanks in advance.
-Allen

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well Virgin Mobile is really slow, data wise, from most people that i've heard that use it. metropcs, when merged with, tmobile would probably be a better choice. I'm not sure about the coverage in your area but I would recommend getting a gsm phone and going with TMobile's monthly 4G, unless you're ok with 3G speed then go with TMobile's GoSmart Mobile ($45/month Unlimited voice, text, throttled data after 5GB)

Also I can't make a solid recommendation without knowing your daily needs (ex. over 100 minutes/month? Want fast 4G speed? Truly Unlimited? price budget, etc.)

As for customer service........ they both suck. But from what I've heard Tmobile's customer service sucks less, but they BOTH SUCK.

You can PM me or something if you need any more info or just post here but quote me.

I'm dropping my contract for good soon and I wanted some opinions on whom I should choose to go to for prepaid. I know soon MetroPCS and T-Mobile might be merging which means Metro's current CDMA phones will be cut down for GSM phones. I don't know too much about that and what that means but I know I heard somewhere to just wait to buy a Metro Phone until the merge happens. I don't know lol. Which has better service and customer support? Anyone out there that maybe have dealt with both companies and their phones?

Thanks in advance.
-Allen

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I've used both. I honestly don't think there's a big difference either way. Both have foreign customer service. Both have cheap no contract plans. And both have spotty coverage when compared to Verizon or AT&T. But the price and freedom more than makes up for it, IMO.

One big difference is Virgin gives you 2GB of data at 4G speeds. Last time I was with Metro, which was awhile ago, it was all 2x. Also, if Metro still has the same plans, you have to pay $60/mo for a smartphone data plan. Virgin Mobile, you can use a smartphone on 35/mo.

Bottom line: if you need a mainly business phone with lots of talk minutes, go with Metro. If you want a smartphone and better smartphone model selection, go with Virgin.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well Virgin Mobile is really slow, data wise, from most people that i've heard that use it. metropcs, when merged with, tmobile would probably be a better choice. I'm not sure about the coverage in your area but I would recommend getting a gsm phone and going with TMobile's monthly 4G, unless you're ok with 3G speed then go with TMobile's GoSmart Mobile ($45/month Unlimited voice, text, throttled data after 5GB)

I have used Virgin Mobile, I thought it was reasonably fast. YouTube videos run with no lag on lower resolutions.

I've never heard of this GoSmart Mobile. I'm glad you mention it, because 35 a month for unlimited talk and web at 3g speeds is great for me. But I did a Google search, and reports are that it's just being trialed for now. I don't know what to make of that.

Right now I am with Ting Mobile. Purchased a used purple Optimus S for $20 on Craigslist and used their BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) option to set it up. It was a snap, got it working in one day, and no dropped calls so far. Plus I can pick my talk text and data allotments a la carte. I've been really pleased with Ting so far.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Also I can't make a solid recommendation without knowing your daily needs (ex. over 100 minutes/month? Want fast 4G speed? Truly Unlimited? price budget, etc.)

As for customer service........ they both suck. But from what I've heard Tmobile's customer service sucks less, but they BOTH SUCK.

You can PM me or something if you need any more info or just post here but quote me.

I don't hardly talk on the phone. I want a phone for mainly text and data. So if I get T-Mobile $50 plan, what happens after the 100mb of Data on 4g speed? Does the date go super slow? That question is mainly for all companies who say after a certain amount of data you get. Never really understood it.

I'm just so tired of a contract and paying almost $90. Was more when I was with Verizon so I left for Sprint because of prices. But with all the fees and taxes, the final monthly price is still up there. Now I'm at a point where I can cancel Sprint without any Termination fee. So I'm stuck on what to do lmao.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't hardly talk on the phone. I want a phone for mainly text and data. So if I get T-Mobile $50 plan, what happens after the 100mb of Data on 4g speed? Does the date go super slow? That question is mainly for all companies who say after a certain amount of data you get. Never really understood it.

If you're considering that $50 plan, I'd suggest taking a look at Solavei. They are a T-Mobile MVNO - $49 for unlimited talk / text / data, and the data is unthrottled for the first 4GB - you have access to 4g speeds. If you exceed 4GB in a month the speed is reduced to 2g for the remainder of the month. A clearly defined data plan is one of the things I like about them.

They are also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things. (I am!)

I've been happy with them.

If you really don't need minutes then the $30 plan from T-Mobile might be a good fit. 100 talk minutes, unlimited text and data - data is unthrottled for the first 5GB - I believe they also switch to 2g at this point. I can't get by on 100 minutes a month, that's why I went with Solavei.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're considering that $50 plan, I'd suggest taking a look at Solavei. They are a T-Mobile MVNO - $49 for unlimited talk / text / data, and the data is unthrottled for the first 4GB - you have access to 4g speeds. If you exceed 4GB in a month the speed is reduced to 2g for the remainder of the month. A clearly defined data plan is one of the things I like about them.

They are also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things. (I am!)

I've been happy with them.

If you really don't need minutes then the $30 plan from T-Mobile might be a good fit. 100 talk minutes, unlimited text and data - data is unthrottled for the first 5GB - I believe they also switch to 2g at this point. I can't get by on 100 minutes a month, that's why I went with Solavei.

I've NEVER heard of them. How are their coverage? Are the phones even good?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've NEVER heard of them. How are their coverage? Are the phones even good?

They are a T-Mobile MVNO - their coverage map is the same as the T-Mobile prepaid map. Check it out yourself, the coverage map is easy to find on their website.

Right now they aren't selling a phone. You can bring any unlocked GSM phone to their service. I'm using the Google Nexus 4 and loving it (ordered it directly from Google.) Solavei also partnered with a 3rd party seller for people who need phones.
http://www.gsmnation.com/solavei/

You probably haven't heard about Solavei before because they are trying to spread by word of mouth, and through the social networks. Instead of paying for advertising, they are paying back customers on a recurring monthly basis when others sign up through their affiliate link.

My husband and I have both been happy with them. But it really all comes down to whether or not the coverage is good in your area.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm just so tired of a contract and paying almost $90. Was more when I was with Verizon so I left for Sprint because of prices. But with all the fees and taxes, the final monthly price is still up there. Now I'm at a point where I can cancel Sprint without any Termination fee. So I'm stuck on what to do lmao.

Since you don't need many minutes, maybe T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan would work for you: 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 4G data throttled after 5GB.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
They are a T-Mobile MVNO - their coverage map is the same as the T-Mobile prepaid map. Check it out yourself, the coverage map is easy to find on their website.

Right now they aren't selling a phone. You can bring any unlocked GSM phone to their service. I'm using the Google Nexus 4 and loving it (ordered it directly from Google.) Solavei also partnered with a 3rd party seller for people who need phones.
Solavei - powered by relationships

You probably haven't heard about Solavei before because they are trying to spread by word of mouth, and through the social networks. Instead of paying for advertising, they are paying back customers on a recurring monthly basis when others sign up through their affiliate link.

My husband and I have both been happy with them. But it really all comes down to whether or not the coverage is good in your area.

It looks simple enough. Kinda confused me on a site I read about them for Business purposes about getting paid a month for stuff ect. But I won't be dealing with that. I want ALL data and text and then some minutes of course.

Yeah I looked at the T-Mobile plan for $30 but 100 minutes is too small.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It looks simple enough. Kinda confused me on a site I read about them for Business purposes about getting paid a month for stuff ect. But I won't be dealing with that. I want ALL data and text and then some minutes of course.

Yeah I looked at the T-Mobile plan for $30 but 100 minutes is too small.

The quick version is that they will pay you for every three people who sign up through your link. If you have no interest in that, no problem.

After you set up your account there's a next step of becoming a "social member". You have to complete that step if you want to sign others up. Just exit the social membership sign up if you don't want to participate. If you ever change your mind, when you sign into your account there's an option to "Become a Social Member".

As an example, I'm a "social member" so I have a link. My husband signed up through my link. He is not a "social member" so he has no link, and can't sign others up. Our service is the same and costs the same. The only difference is I have the opportunity to be paid.

If I haven't explained this well, please let me know.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay, what about the 4g part? Is there a limit of 4g using and then it drops to 2g like T-mobile does???

4GB of 4g before dropping to 2g each month as long as you're in a T-Mobile 4g area. Domestic Roaming areas are likely 2g if you get data at all. It's worth making sure the coverage map fits your needs - the different types of coverage are labeled. (Make sure you zoom in.)

Coverage is everything.

mat jonson

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

i totally agree with you

laurelp52

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I live in Tampa also & have been using Virgin since last year. I have a Google number through my Google account. So with my $35 plan, I have 300 talk min and unlimited 4g text and web. But....using my Google number to make and receive calls, does not use up my minutes! How cool is that? I have an LG Optimus and just bought my husband a Kyocera Rise and switched him from Tmobile to Virgin also. His Kyocera was defective, I called and Virgin handles all of those issues, and Virgin over-nighted a new Kyocera Rise and this one works perfectly. Customer service is as important as coverage in my opinion. I have not had any problems and we go to Atlanta and Orlando a few times a year and my LG on Virgin has always been great for signals.

whitegoodmen

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have used Verizon, Sprint, Virgin, Metro, and now I use Strait talk $45 (AT&T). My wife uses Metro with the $40 plan. As far as speeds I think they are the same and maybe Metro is a little faster. Metro has good phones just check out their site. Metro also as the rebates that are good.

A thing you need to remember is that Metro can roam if you need it to (sprint/verizon) and Virgin can't roam at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer