Cant decide between the Nexus 6 or the Note 4.....

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
With comparable size, specs and an equally premium design, the Nexus 6 wins because it is almost $200 cheaper off-contract than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Even on-contract, the Nexus 6 should prove to be the more affordable device. With the Nexus 6 you can the best of Android, the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update, continuous support from Google and a mighty future proofed device. If the camera and the S Pen are very important to you, then you should go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise we see no reason to recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 over the Nexus 6. Motorola and Google have managed to the Note 4 killer.

Lol the Nexus 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the LG G3 and whatever else are far from Note "killers". As somebody else mentioned there is other ways the Note 4 is superior which if your looking just at Hardware and not looking at Software the Note 4 is better. The Screen and Camera are better, the Note 4 has a Fingerprint scanner ( It works better then the S5 but not as good as the iPhone 6) , Heart Rate monitor, IR Blaster, UV monitor and the S-pen. Not everybody and i actually think the majority of Android users don't care about getting the latest Android update ASAP and i mean with the general population and not people just here. The Note 4 and Samsung devices in general are feature rich devices which some people might prefer. So don't make assumptions over price alone. I actually went with a Droid Turbo for a day and returned it based on the fact it was cheaper then the Note 4 and while it was a good phone i missed the S-pen , Micro SD card slot and found the speakers and camera superior on the note 4

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The OP asked for people's opinion and I gave him MINE. It is ultimately up to the OP what he wants. I really have no idea why you gave me your opinion.

Because this is a forum and giving my opinion based on yours .... and based off his OP it was more based off Screen and Camera decision then who gets faster updates

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Last night I went out with some friends to celebrate a friends birthday and I found it really hard to get a good quality picture with the front facing camera. Seems like the note 4 camera doesn't do good in low light situations, will the nexus 6 suffer from the same problem? I also noticed that one of my friends with the iPhone 6 plus didn't have this issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think so ? Open up the Samsung camera app and Change the iso ...they already have access to that and more and they never put that into the app ....you can if you turn off image stabilization etc ...the g3 won't allow you to change like any settings lol

What does that have to do with 3rd party apps and the new API's in Lollipop? Still doesn't allow you access to RAW images like the new lollipop APIs do.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Last night I went out with some friends to celebrate a friends birthday and I found it really hard to get a good quality picture with the front facing camera. Seems like the note 4 camera doesn't do good in low light situations, will the nexus 6 suffer from the same problem? I also noticed that one of my friends with the iPhone 6 plus didn't have this issue.

No front facing camera is going to do well in low light..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Initial camera reactions appear to favor nexus 6 over note 4 but should have better idea after the 12th.. I have the note 2 but going with Nexus 6 because of bigger screen, no touchWiz, Motorola radio and build quality, and potentially better camera than note 4 (I never use the stylus)...

What camera reactions? I have yet to see anything comparing the 2, and would like to see some if indeed that is true. Find it hard to believe a nexus, and a moto nexus at that, would outperform the samsung in camera tests. If it does, that would be great, but with moto and googles history with poor cameras, not getting my hopes up.

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
No front facing camera is going to do well in low light..

That's true but the iPhone 6 plus my friend had seem to do a better job at taking pictures with the front facing camera. I also noticed that the front facing camera for the Note 4 lags while in low light situations unless you switch it to wide selfie mode.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Someone please tell me if i root the note 4 and delete bloat plus most of the google stuff like google + because i don't use it, will it make a big difference in terms of lag and battery life ??

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Someone please tell me if i root the note 4 and delete bloat plus most of the google stuff like google + because i don't use it, will it make a big difference in terms of lag and battery life ??

You may get an answer in here, but might fare better in the Note 4 Forum where there's a much higher concentration of current users.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what did you miss from touchwiz? what kind of apps were you looking for to make it more like Touchwiz/Note 4?

I struggle with Touchwiz, there is some of it that I do really like, and parts I really don't like. A little love/hate relationship I guess....

I added Swiftkey because the keyboard prediction was either not very good or had its issues. Google Hangouts pulls up email and phone numbers for everyone when you want to type the names into it to text and there is lag from that product so, I tried Go Pro and others but because my family uses Iphones, the messaging came through as an attachment all the time.

The default calendar, I did not care for so, I added Sunrise calendar.

Since it does not have a Power Saving mode, I installed battery savers that either started to eat through the battery or made the phone sluggish. I also like WatchOn so, I wanted to add that to the device because I missed using my phone as a remote control.

Those were some off the top of my head. The other too was wanting to add something like S Note or Action Memo and was trying to find that. I also liked the functionality of being able to write on pictures so, I wanted to add that one too. At that point, I was starting to create a mini Note 3/4 which was eating into my 32GB phone with no extra SD card.

I even moved all the music to the cloud as well as pictures and video to try and keep the storage space at a minimum which then drove up my data access as well.

I also found it to require more tinkering that I had to do with my Note 4. It was bringing back memories of my Samsung S3 battery performance.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

You can disable pretty much any app including the carrier bloat. I disabled all the att bloat and my battery life is excellent although if I left it enabled I don't think it will make a difference. I don't see any lag and my Note 4 is much faster than my Nexus 5. If you are that concerned about Touchwiz lag then get a Nexus.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade tomorrow. And am waiting for the nexus 6 to be available in store to check out however, it better have a damn good screen and camera. Those are important to me as well as battery life. Having played with the moto x and a nexus 5 I like the vanilla android experience. But coming from a note 1 and 2 I find them vanilla android to be similar to the iPhone experience. Crisp, clean, fluid.....yet kind of boring*.
I will agree I don't use ever feature touchwiz has as some are currently gimmicky. I've gotten Crappy spens on both of my notes so i can honestly say i very rarely used it. The current versions are awesome though. I may still not use it but sometimes a quick note is great especially when you don't have a pen or paper handy.
I can see the benefits of vanilla though. No bloat allows the clean experience without having to root. Fast updates and all. The design and build quality of the nexus 6 looks gorgeous if it is anything like the moto x. Yet the thing many commercial buyers are looking for are lacking on the vanilla android phone: battery and camera.

*without rooting. And the customization is similar across all android phones so that is a mute point.

Posted via the Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Skip both of them & wait to see what comes out next year

Posted via the Android Central App
Well if you're going to wait, might as well skip those next year for the following year. But seriously, every year something better is out, if you wait, you will never get something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa