03-14-2011 10:51 AM
111 123 ...
tools
    So to be totally honest, i've seen the videos on youtube, and the most recent video on the website, and why is the thunderbolt so hyped up? Alright, it's kinda fast and has good camera quality, but so what? It's just like every other droid phone out there. My GF has a MyTouch 4g, i know it's only on T-Mobile and not Verizon, but it's almost exactly the same as the thunderbolt. my sister has the Droid Incredible, and the thunderbolt isn't that much better, i just dont see the fascination with it.

P.S. - Please only ACTUAL, CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, I'm not looking for some Dbag to call me a noob and act like an a$$h0le.
    03-07-2011 11:46 PM
    There's a sticky in this forum that explains the difference between a few phones, also a simple search would let you know.
    ""It's just like every other droid phone out there"" shows that you need to do a lot more research.
    Why don't you go look it up, your attitude is not good for a first post.

Off the top of my head-

True 4G (not what att, sprint, and t-mobile call 4G)
    50% more RAM than most
    Much better processor
    40GB of storage stock
    Sense 2.0
    4.3in screen
    unlocked bootloader
    Updated camera/sensor
    rugged kickstand
    good speaker
    Verizon supported
    Al body construction if you care.
    03-08-2011 12:08 AM
    To me here's why it's special.

Vzw lacks in some areas. I'm coming from a storm 1 and of course I can upgrade to a DX or a Dinc.. But I'll wait it out for something even better.

To answer your question, many of us who are on vzw as well plan to keep sticking with vzw are looking forward to this phone, the Tbolt, because it will be the coolest (fastest, etc etc) phone from which we can choose from.
    Yes, I can jump ship and go with an Atrix etc.. But to be honest, I as well as many want to keep sticking with vzw so we feel this will be a phone we can upgrade to which will be a great device, coming at a great time (could have came earlier).
    Had I had 1 more year left on my contract I'd prob dismiss the commercials as well as all these threads, though I can finally upgrade and this looks like the device that can work well for me.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of many who are coming from a blackberry and can already upgrade.
    That is why I'M hyped about it.
    derekgallina likes this.
    03-08-2011 12:15 AM
    I'm on a Storm 1, so I'm really looking forward to this. LTE is a major draw for me, that no other phone has.
    03-08-2011 12:50 AM
    1. Its pretty easy to see that every major spec on this phone is an improvement over any other Verizon phone.

2. Data speeds are 10x faster than any other Verizon phone, thats like the difference between a bicycle and a Bugatti Veyron.

3. Overhyped? The iPhone 4 was the last Verizon phone to be released and you think the Thunderbolt is overhyped?
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    03-08-2011 01:17 AM
    Here are the important factors to me:
    1. More RAM
    2. Better processor (it's not clocked any higher than other phones but it's better quality)
    3. Better GPU
    4. Great camera
    5. Front-facing camera
    6. Kickstand
    7. Sense UI
    8. A probable and promised upgrade to Gingerbread
    9. Skype is baked in
    10. Great overall build quality
    11. FM radios
    12. Voice and data simultaneously over 3G
    13. LTE radios, giving us Verizon 4G support
    14. DLNA support
    15. 4.3 inch screen
    Here are the downsides:
    1. the age of dual-core phone processors is arriving, so this will seem weak in a few months
    2. No HDMI port
    3. Screen res is kinda low compared to what's coming (and what already exists
    At least in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons.
    hmackenz and ChrisGonzales90 like this.
    03-08-2011 07:03 AM
    (in my best Zen Master voice) If you can't see the difference, maybe there is no difference!

----
    forgetful listed a whole bunch of things they may or may not have any value for you. at this point i would say it is the best single core 4.3" screen LTE phone expected to become available sometime soon. incrementally better in almost every category. Dual core might have more power along with issues that come from that - power consumption, apps that are not yet optimized for dual core.
    03-08-2011 07:07 AM
    Read the forums, brah. Tons of comparisons already out there.
    03-08-2011 07:56 AM
    Did anyone mention LTE? (Not true 4g, but better than the competition at least)
    03-08-2011 09:05 AM
    Data and voice simultaneously...that's the only reason I don't go buy an Incredible...
    03-08-2011 10:51 AM
    Alright, Verizon's 4G LTE isn't a huge draw because it's not going to be nationwide until 2013, and unless you live in a major city, it may reach your area once your thunderbolt's contract is up. In my opinion, the only good things about it is that it's faster, a nice camera(s) and more memory. Otherwise, i don't really care about a bigger screen, or a kickstand, or the 4G. I'm leaning more towards the iPhone 4 (i know, a bad word on these forums) because compared to the thunderbolt, i like it better. Droids' OS is kind of confusing in my opinion (being an IT kinda guy) and there are almost too many options. With the iPhone, they made everything just easier and smoother.
    kingzee likes this.
    03-08-2011 10:54 AM
    videocalling without the need of wifi
    03-08-2011 10:57 AM
    Alright, Verizon's 4G LTE isn't a huge draw because it's not going to be nationwide until 2013, and unless you live in a major city, it may reach your area once your thunderbolt's contract is up. In my opinion, the only good things about it is that it's faster, a nice camera(s) and more memory. Otherwise, i don't really care about a bigger screen, or a kickstand, or the 4G. I'm leaning more towards the iPhone 4 (i know, a bad word on these forums) because compared to the thunderbolt, i like it better. Droids' OS is kind of confusing in my opinion (being an IT kinda guy) and there are almost too many options. With the iPhone, they made everything just easier and smoother.
    It sounds like you want an iPhone so you are making up reasons why you don't like the Thunderbolt. Just buy the iPhone and leave android phones to people who want android phones with all their benefits (that don't matter to you)
    03-08-2011 10:59 AM
    If you like the Iphone then buy it. I find it a little offensive that you would come here ask for peoples opinions of why this phone is better. They take out time to respond and obviously you've already made your mind you don't even care for Android OS. The best phone for you is the one you can operate.
    03-08-2011 11:16 AM
    videocalling without the need of wifi
    That's a good point

It sounds like you want an iPhone so you are making up reasons why you don't like the Thunderbolt. Just buy the iPhone and leave android phones to people who want android phones with all their benefits (that don't matter to you)
    And i am thinking about getting an iPhone, and the thunderbolt is also just frustrating because every week there is some sort of reason as to why it is not being released, or it's release date being announced.
    03-08-2011 11:20 AM
    If you like the Iphone then buy it. I find it a little offensive that you would come here ask for peoples opinions of why this phone is better.
    I'm sorry, but isn't the whole point of a forum is to discuss opinions? Actually i'll give you the definition because you seem like you don't know it.

forum - a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here, i'm simply just trying to make a decision because my upgrade is up. I don't need people jumping down my throat because i'm sharing my opinions.
    kingzee likes this.
    03-08-2011 11:25 AM
    I'm sorry, but isn't the whole point of a forum is to discuss opinions? Actually i'll give you the definition because you seem like you don't know it.

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here, i'm simply just trying to make a decision because my upgrade is up. I don't need people jumping down my throat because i'm sharing my opinions.
    You are taking this quote out of context. If you read the whole post, they arent upset that people are discussing differing opinions, they are upset at the fact that someone came in with their mind already made up with no intention on listening to other people's advice. In essence, they just wanted to stir something up.
    03-08-2011 12:03 PM
    You're an IT guy and android is confusing?

You should probably get a iphone. It sounds like you're an iphone candidate, and I'm serious and mean no offense honestly.
    03-08-2011 12:07 PM
    Did anyone mention LTE? (Not true 4g, but better than the competition at least)
    I did! I could do without 4G, but it's a huge plus (I'd expect the phone to be cheaper if it wasn't 4G).
    03-08-2011 12:15 PM
    You're an IT guy and android is confusing?

You should probably get a iphone. It sounds like you're an iphone candidate, and I'm serious and mean no offense honestly.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    03-08-2011 12:16 PM
    Calling it the "Droid OS" and then saying you want an iphone is offensive to me.
    03-08-2011 12:20 PM

If you are going to quote me then quote the whole statement not just the self-serving parts. I didn't jump down your throat just expressing my opinion in an open discussion.
    03-08-2011 12:21 PM
    Yea I thought it interesting that an IT person wouldn't know anything about Android (basically a LINUX platform) and think its confusing.

If truthful then he needs an iPhone, but as others have pointed out this could also be a well done troll attempt just to get people upset.
    03-08-2011 12:21 PM
    If you are going to quote me then quote the whole statement not just the self-serving parts. I didn't jump down your throat just expressing my opinion in an open discussion.
    Quoting the whole part didn't make sense, i didn't take part of your quote to 'self-serve' my stance. Why would i quote your entire response, i'm only going to take a blurb out that makes my argument. Also, don't be a Dbag and use my words against me, you criticized me for not having anything good to say but look at yourself.

Second, I am in college to become an IT guy, and I, myself, don't find it confusing, i'm just saying that from my point-of-view, simplicity makes life easier. Just pointing out that the iPhone makes everything very simple.

And everyone calm down. DAMN. I'm pretty sure i've said several times that im not trying to get people mad, or be a Dbag, and no, i do not have my mind already made up. I am leaning towards the iPhone, but I want to hear what's so good about the Thunderbolt from the perspectives of Droid users, that's why i came to a Droid Forum and didnt make this thread in an iPhone forum.
    03-08-2011 01:34 PM
    If you don't like the OS, you probably shouldn't bother with Android.

Personally, I prefer Android because of the amount of customization available without even rooting. I find it even simpler to use than iOS, provided you use (or are able to use) the tools available to you to accomplish your tasks.

You can have todo list widgets, calendar widgets, etc. on your home screen ... simplifying the process of keeping yourself organized... no opening multiple different apps just to see what you have to do next ... it's just right there for you.

You mention you're taking classes? There's several different apps with varying complexities that allow you to set your phone up to automatically do stuff. I use Tasker to automatically silence my phone while I'm in class. No fidgeting with my phone, no forgetting to turn it back on when I walk out of class ... and never again do I have to worry about --- *RING RING RING!!! THIS MOFO FORGOT TO TURN HIS CELL PHONE OFF!* --- in the middle of class.

Elaborate at first (since you have to set it up), but then you experience the beauty of true simplicity. Everything works just how you want it. Not just how Steve Jobs thinks it should be.
    moneymike47 likes this.
    03-08-2011 01:53 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD