HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Airdroid will help you for taking calls dail also send sms copying data and past data and many more from windows or mac :) https://www.airdroid.com/en/

about android i agree about the gmail app but i am using a V10 before G pro from LG
i didn't have any issues with the keyboard is amazing for me also i have always on second screen i don't need to touch my phone
viewing angle is amazing G5 has always ON screen too so i think maybe you have to change HTC

Just downloaded Airdroid, pretty sweet! Thanks!

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I agree Android keyboards offer more options and choices but, when I want to rattle off a few emails iPhone keyboard simply gets it done with very little corrections needed. In 8 years I have not found an Android keyboard that works for me that way for some reason.

You should try SwiftKey. It beats typing letter by letter every time.

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, honestly I love mine! Finally found a replacement for my former tank of a phone (Droid Turbo).

Screen - Mine has no pink tint at all. Comparing it directly against my Turbo (1st 1440p Display & AMOLED) and it has better color reproduction and saturation levels across the board. I initially wasn't wowed like using an S7 or S6 but when compared side by side its night and day that this display rocks. Only complaint is like Phil mentioned about the polarization. I wear my polarized Ray Bans quite a bit and have issues then and only then. Also, the pinkness is supposedly a coating that was put on. Don't have the link but Redditors and XDA members alike have said this goes away over usage.

Gmail - Are you sure you aren't sending from your same email? I have three email addresses all managed under one account and I make sure I send from my actual gmail account by default. Never had this issue even when sending gmail to myself from the app...

Keyboards - Really? Android originated the personalized keyboard. I've been using Swype since the OG Droid and can't use anything else. I installed it on my work phone (iPhone 6S) and can't stand using it on the iPhone's size. Not too mention I can't use after market keyboards on any app but Messenger thanks to work limitations.

Notifications
- Keep playing with the settings to wake the screen. Typically this is inside an app. Snapchat for example features this by default. After coming from a Moto phone with Active Display I'm ecstatic about having an LED back. Less battery drain from the screen waking up all the time.

Speaker - I don't really see how it's a negative based on your last line. It's still a small cell phone speaker. For a cell phone speaker I think it's stellar. Definitely the best I've ever experienced including the M7's original BoomSound. Watching movies or highlights before falling asleep and I can definitely notice the upgrade. The internal DAC blows away my 6S when streaming from Soundcloud to boot. My physical collection of music...even more drastic with my lossless files. Been a long time since my custom molded IEM's sounded so good :)

As for the syncing between computer...Yeah, it's a major issue I hope Google addresses this week at I/O. Apple is definitely way ahead in this area. Pushbullet is just too slow of a sync for me but it's because of the conversions of the sms data to digital and the Chrome sync. iMessage is all data from Apple's servers. Much easier to reproduce. The new builds of Windows 10 + the Cortana app look to bridge this but it's more of a built in Pushbullet replacement than anything.

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
The OP should get a Nexus device. It would probably solve %100 of the the "issues" he was having.

That comment about iOS keyboard being better than Android made me liberally Lol in the middle of a meeting. Kind if made me think that this is just a pro Apple troll thread.

shpwrkdntweetin

May 18, 2016
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

I'm such a fan of the 10 but I agree with you. Android to android is the only way it's a fair debate. I think the most perfect Android will come up short against those VALID issues mentioned.
The only argument I can have for a 2 week user of the 10 is the degree... But I agree with them all.
The notifications...no argument.. needs some work. It's an Android thing isn't it? You have to pull it down to see a few lines? I've only used HTC and iOS. (C'mon Android)
The speakers in addition to the 24-bit DAC is incredible but it's about where your priorities are.
Keyboard... No argument...
I too have a Mac and I think as long as I'm used to SMS and iMessages coming through on my display it'll be the winner. That frustrates me because I really like my HTC. (M8,A9 & 10)
(Purposely not commenting on the signature... All things that somehow Android chooses not to address, at least not before Apple)

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure as I don't own a HTC 10, but this must be limited to just HTC phones. On my LG G5 I get a nice keyboard, a good screen, notifications that I can read, easy unlock, and quick responsive actions and shortcuts. OH, and did I mention that I am using all stock apps (Google apps) so no extra apps or launchers to make my notifications work differently.

This is definitely a "How I love to touch my iPhone all over" thread. Maybe HTC got it wrong, try a different brand. To compare all of Android from one manufacturer to iPhone is apples to oranges. But if buying something that is locked down, overpriced and basically made to do it one way or else is your thing then have at it....to each their own I guess.

chicubfan08

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
That's the problem with Android. Instead of making their stock better than everything else, there is always a "downloadable app" to improve a part of the phone that should be best to use already. That is why I have also went back ti iPhone, even after spending a few months on Nexus 6P. Just a smoother experience overall without the necessity to download something to make something that should just work better.

realvvk

May 18, 2016
Visit site
While android does so suck balls compared to iOS, it is not for the reasons you mention. I hate some aspects of it with a passion. For example, the fact that ann app can keep playing sound while you are talking on the phone is absolute madness. Inexcusable! This is a freaking phone, when I am on a call, all other apps should be completely cut off from playing audio. I don't want music playing while I am talking to someone! Especially when it is a work related call! Also, the are instances when a call comes in and nothing comes up on the screen because, once again, apps are not walled off from basic phone functionality. Freaking ridiculous. There are many other little ****ups.

However, keyboard on android is a million times better. Screen is better, too. Notifications are much better on iOS, however you can use floatify app to mimic iOS notifications on the lock screen. It works reasonably well.

I currently use android and there are things I definitely prefer vs iOS. For example, dual SIM functionality is so much better. I try to ignore the obvious idiotic shortcomings like phone functionality that is not walled off from the apps.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That comment about iOS keyboard being better than Android made me liberally Lol in the middle of a meeting. Kind if made me think that this is just a pro Apple troll thread.

Whatever I can do to brighten the day. :) Just for the record, the Mods edited my title to make it appear more Android vs iOS. Regarding the keyboard, I am currently using a Note 5 and can say the Samsung keyboard is literally right there with input accuracy with iOS keyboard.

ibmbc

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you tried the 10 to begin with.
You obviously are very happy with your iphone, and thats great, but if your happy with your iphone it is going to bias you against Android.

Keyboard? There are a million different keyboard on android (including iphone clone ones) and I don;t know how you could have a keyboard that shows numbers all the time and go back to that ancient iphone one. Yes it is personal preference, but how the hell does it make sense at thispoint to have to hit the number button constantly?
Imo there is a huge difference in sound quality between the 10 and the 6s.
Why are you emailing yourself from gmail? Odd.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem with Android. Instead of making their stock better than everything else, there is always a "downloadable app" to improve a part of the phone that should be best to use already. That is why I have also went back ti iPhone, even after spending a few months on Nexus 6P. Just a smoother experience overall without the necessity to download something to make something that should just work better.

That is the exact principle of Android. You do not like something? You can change it. Try that on iOS..

The stock apps are very good on Android. They get frequent updates and work very well.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why you tried the 10 to begin with.
You obviously are very happy with your iphone, and thats great, but if your happy with your iphone it is going to bias you against Android.
I don't think it should be wrong to want to try things. I really liked my iPhone too but that wasn't enough for me to not want to try the Nextbit Robin. I still tried it anyway, hoping to like it. I really liked it.

I will surely continue to try Android and Windows phones if they interest me enough to try.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it should be wrong to want to try things. I really liked my iPhone too but that wasn't enough for me to not want to try the Nextbit Robin. I still tried it anyway, hoping to like it. I really liked it.

I will surely continue to try Android and Windows phones if they interest me enough to try.

Negative, you are 100% wrong to want that. It's also a bad idea to talk about trying different things on a forum meant to keep people from talki... wait... it's a forum. Hmm... :D

Reg Joo

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The reality is if you don't like a core feature, you can change it. If you don't like a keyboard, change it. I recently acquired a ipad air 2(free, that's why I got it)), smooth as all get out, fast, and apps mostly work smoothly. BUT! you can't customize it, and that apple keyboard is not the best by far( thank goodness swiftkey has a ios app). The password system's whacked,had to change my password five times, since what worked for icloud, didn't work for appstore, or itunes, and when it did work, I could download apps, but couldn't update them, somehow, my password was suddenly wrong. There's not enough controls for notifications(that should be in the app, not after, so the app can natively control it). I can't make it mine, and that hurts, the wallpaper may only be changed with a app from the appstore, and you can't roll your own. I can put my phone 50 feet away from me, with the screen on, amongst other same model phones, and can pick it out from my own custom wallpaper, If I did that with the air 2 , I couldn't tell. When you come from apple, and get stuck in their ecosystem, you stagnate, might as well use a tv remote, you don't have to think , and amongst other things, no originality.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Negative, you are 100% wrong to want that. It's also a bad idea to talk about trying different things on a forum meant to keep people from talki... wait... it's a forum. Hmm... :D

Haha. The first line had me going like...I have a right to do what I want! lol.

Reg Joo

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The reality is if you don't like a core feature, you can change it. If you don't like a keyboard, change it. I recently acquired a ipad air 2, smooth as all get out, fast, and apps mostly work smoothly. BUT! you can't customize it, and that apple keyboard is not the best by far( thank goodness swiftkey has a ios app). The password system's whacked,had to change my password five times, since what worked for icloud, didn't work for appstore, or itunes, and when it did work, I could download apps, but couldn't update them, somehow, my password was suddenly wrong. There's not enough controls for notifications(that should be in the app, not after, so the app can natively control it). I can't make it mine, and that hurts, the wallpaper may only be changed with a app from the appstore, and you can't roll your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress