HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
That's like saying I should spend hours trying out different jet configurations on a carburetor instead of simply turning the key with fuel injection.

Yes because clicking a few settings buttons in a few menus is just like mapping a fuel curve in closed loop. Oh yeah, FI isn't just "turn the key". Poor analogy. OEM FI appeases the masses (it starts, it runs); if that is what you were getting at. Tuning appeals to the few that need (well, desire) the most out of their stuff. And by the way a properly jetted carb runs as well as FI.

However I do agree with the above posts; its your money spend it as you please as ultimately its your money and your time. Your needs are iPhone based I would stick there if I were you.

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
sir, hat off to you... this is the best reply i have read to all the threads: i have this device that i don't want/like, i am leaving, i will get another brand...

lol. It's more like a few minutes and much less complicated than all that - and the analogy misses that it's a matter of messing with settings on one phone that has one set of compromises vs messing with settings on another phone that has a whole different set of compromises.

The "fixing" part is some really simple stuff. But if you're not ok with HTC's implementation - there's nothing wrong with that! You already said you wanted a Note 6; wait a couple months and get that instead.

But much more importantly than missing the mark on analogies and stating opinions as a matter of fact - is that there's no point to posting any of this unless you want help solving the problems that you're perceiving. If you don't want help with that, then I'm going to fall back to my old statement, "want what you like, buy what you want, love what you bought". If your solution is to switch devices, get to it! If you are looking for help improving your experience, then ask for help. Mixing those two things up as if somehow our community, or even the company you bought your phone from would be threatened by your dissatisfaction and run to another product is counterproductive as it creates confusion about what exactly it is that you want. Do you want to keep the HTC 10 and have people help you get it working the way that you want things to work? Or do you want to buy something else that does things a different way? Everyone here is going to be totally fine with either decision.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Many of the OP's point simply indicate he doesn't know how to set up Android. A lot of those complaints simply aren't accurate. Instead of whining, maybe put a little time into learning how to use your device.

And if screen quality is your driver, you should look at the GS7. Nothing Apple has ever made comes close, which is why Apple is going to start buying Samsung's second tier screen technology.

ItsMrMark

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes because clicking a few settings buttons in a few menus is just like mapping a fuel curve in closed loop. Oh yeah, FI isn't just "turn the key". Poor analogy. OEM FI appeases the masses (it starts, it runs); if that is what you were getting at. Tuning appeals to the few that need (well, desire) the most out of their stuff. And by the way a properly jetted carb runs as well as FI.

However I do agree with the above posts; its your money spend it as you please as ultimately its your money and your time. Your needs are iPhone based I would stick there if I were you.

Hahaha! Oh I agree! FI is far more complex than the sum of the parts of a carb. Having said that, you can drive a FI vehicle from sea level to Denver and have a correct AFR the entire trip. Not so much carbureted. So I use that analogy as iPhone being plug and play and Android needing more "adjustments" or "third party apps" to meet my needs.

Now, when is that Note 6 coming out? I'm getting bored with iOS! hahaha!

ItsMrMark

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Many of the OP's point simply indicate he doesn't know how to set up Android. A lot of those complaints simply aren't accurate. Instead of whining, maybe put a little time into learning how to use your device.

And if screen quality is your driver, you should look at the GS7. Nothing Apple has ever made comes close, which is why Apple is going to start buying Samsung's second tier screen technology.

Ok let's do it! I'll tell you the complaints and you resolve them.

Gmail app does not use desktop signature: (Your solution goes here)

Keyboard does not work as well for me, I have tried years worth of Android options: (Solution?)

Notifications do not wake screen and give me a few lines of info to determine if worth picking up the phone or not: (Solution) Let me guess some third party work around?

Speaker is better than the 6S but not a jaw dropper. Compliment to HTC to resolution needed.

Native call, text integration with my Mac: (third party work around?)

Been using Android nonstop since the G1 8 years ago. Buy roughly 3-5 Android phones annually. Please be specific what it is I don't know how to set up? I choose to use iOS as my daily driver but don't let that fool you!

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I guess it's just personal preference, and if your phone mostly sits on a desk, iOS is good. I keep both with me 24/7, and frankly my iPhone does not get much use anymore. The poor screen response means I don't use the iPhone much for gaming (having to hold the phone weird so I don't mute the sound does not help), the apps I need for CAD/CAM and full building blueprints do not exist in iOS. Then there's music, and plugging a set of headphones into an iPhone is just a disappointment that I can't get over. It's not as if it's just a "slight" difference either; the difference in quality makes itself known immediately, and is impossible to ignore.

RCKniker

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have owned 6 different HTC phones and have been a huge fan of their hand sets. Was really excited about the new 10 and pre ordered mine and received it a couple of weeks ago. After using it for a couple of weeks and trying to love it, it's ONE and DONE for me. I have already contacted HTC and begun the return process. To me it feels awkward in the hand with the beveled edge on the back. It still has the HTC patented battery drain, even thought it has quick charge it's not enough to make up for the battery life. The have striped down the software deleting the music player, photo gallery, FM radio, etc. if I wanted a Nexus phone I would have bought one. The camera is the best offering by HTC but not yet up to Samsung or Apple standards yet. Just extremely disappointed with their effort after all their "obsessed" hype. Going back to by s7 edge (my first Samsung phone). Hopefully they do a better job with their next offering I assume the "11" but for me the 10 it's not worth the price.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I see you like the Note series and are waiting for the note 6. I have the note 4 as my personal device and a IPhone 6 as a work device (provided by company). So that allows me to play with both on a daily basis. I was planning on updating to the Note 5 but it not having an sd card or removeable battery killed it for me. Plus the note 4 got updated to 6.0.1 and it runs way better!!

anyway Samsung phones have sidesync. Check it out man. it does what you are asking about with the whole integration of phone to computer. workds on mac and pc. should come preinstalled on the note 6. had to download it from the play store onto my note 4. haven't checked it out yet.

for keyboards the Samsung one on the note 4 works way better for me than the iPhone 6 tho I have not tried typing on the 6 plus. (but honestly would never get the 6 plus over the note series since I love having the stylus)

when it comes to android I honestly think nobody but google could be Samsung nowadays. Samsung has just really stepped up and even made Touchwiz a lot better than it use to be. Really hope you like the Note 6 enough to switch back. personally I love the customization of android.

I see that you can have a signature on gmail but don't know about the whole html thing you were talking about since I really don't use gmail to send many emails.

also I will say that the display on the Samsung note 4 is awesome. and I came from the note 3. don't know about the htc 10 tho.

any way man I know you are a longtime android guy and I hope the note 6 can do what you want. I have a pebble time so that's how I view my notifications. cant comment on the screen notifications.

well those are my opinions.

have a good evening.

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I've been thinking of switching from iOS to android for awhile. My last androids were a nexus 7 and Moto. Been a Long time iOS person. Looking at the s7 and z5 for the waterproof and battery and more ram since I'm still on 1gb. The android offering are a lot cheaper then a 6s plus which I wanted but still the thing that sucked on that is the bigger than normal bezel, weight, no waterproof, pricey, camera not as good as LG. But recently heard lots of complaints from s7 users of lag and crashes and the thing I miss from iphone is making phone calls on the computer and a terrific Automator app called workflow. Like you I found the iPhone keyboard sufficient for most cases, and I like the Blackberry like cursor that it has, it even have an undo and redo buttons. I'm waiting to try gboard but otherwise I use fleksy another keyboard with horizontal cursor sometimes, and touchpal for some reason but I do go back to iPhone keyboard often enough. I've uninstalled swiftkey Swype, just couldn't make it work.

Dany Irlandez

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Funny how u not mention far worst downsides on having iOS, like no USB otg, no microsd, no wireless charging, no NFC, no radio, no restrictions, no real control of the device, etc etc...these are more importan for most people (including me)
P.s. about the keyboard, what keyboard are u comparing? The ugly lg one? The horrible samsung one? Man, just use the aosp android one or Google keyboard. And by the way, both iOS and android aosp keyboard are nothing compared to the BalckBerry one

Ant34

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Or he can simply use a phone that he thinks involves less setup time. I used the HTC 10 for a little more than a week and now I'm back to using my 6P. The HTC10 is a good device but there's really compelling about it.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Which ios keyboard pray tell is better? Because i would love to try it. Third party support is still stunted and the Apple keyboard is quite ugly and limited in function. Google keyboard is better imo. Never mind superior ones like swift key.

You have a mac so of course ios integration is better. I'm on Verizon and i use their messages+ program which does everything imessaging does. Wi-Fi, sync across all platforms, place calls from tablet or laptop, etc. It's a great program unfortunately it is tied to Verizon only.

I only have one apple device left and it's an iPad my fiance owns. Replaced Macs with surface pros and iPhones with HTC and Samsung phones. Much more fun this way!

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I've often wondered why people post threads like these.

I agree with the OP that the iPhone seems to be the best fit for him. It won't be for others, so what's the point of saying that, "I love the way the iPhone works! I keep trying Android phones and they're not exactly like the iPhone, so I don't like them as much."

That's like a long-time Windows user saying that, "I tried OS X, but the menu buttons are in the wrong place, and I don't like the overall setup." Or an American going to India and saying, "I would like India if it was just like America, but it's like a different country!" That's true, but is not particularly informative or helpful.

If you were looking to make the switch to Android and wanted help setting up my HTC 10 more to your liking, then we would try to help. But you're making a statement, so I say, "That's great! You gave it a go. It didn't work for you. Luckily your trusty iPhone is there for you. All the best!"

Don't get me wrong, it's your time - you can post a thread about whatever you want, but I fail to see the purpose.

Personally, I like having a PKB. I also keep trying iPhones and various Android phones that don't have a PKB, and always come to the conclusion that the presence or absence of a PKB is make or break to me. I don't see the point in going to the Galaxy Note 4/5 subforum or to iMore and posting, "I'm giving up on this phone, it doesn't have a PKB." I just use my Priv, Passport or whatever peacefully. I know and expect going in that the non-BlackBerry phones I try will not have a PKB. I still try them to see of their other features will make up for the lack of a PKB, but I'm not going to diss them for not having one. They're different, I know that, and I accept it.

Last edited:

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
That's like saying I should spend hours trying out different jet configurations on a carburetor instead of simply turning the key with fuel injection.

If you need hours to configure a phone, well.......

I can learn a completely new app in minutes and have it configured a couple minutes after that. Other people aren't as smart as me I guess.

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Try installing the BlackBerry keyboard then. I have it on my Note 5.

If this was in response to my post, I meant that I like the Physical keyboard. Even the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is not to my taste. If you were responding to the OP, then I agree, it's something he could try.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. Nothing wrong with iphones. Nothing wrong with android. I just think iphones are boring and I like to tinker with roms and have more control over my content and apps. Just got an International version GS7 Edge, so no bloatware on AT&T. Its beautiful, fantastic build quality, screen and camera, wireless charging, I've rooted it, and getting ready to do xposed and find a rom or two. Thats what I love about android.