06-08-2020 10:01 PM
64 123
tools
    Am I the only one excited for the Sony phone? The camera looks promising and I'm tempted to get back to Sony. It pretty much has everything and high refresh rate is the only thing missing which I don't see that much of a difference between all my phones. So not a deal breaker for me. No 5G in US sucks if you plan to keep the phone for long.

But I'm kind of excited about this, as usual Sony announcement, pre order, release etc is all so messed up. Pre order opens up June 1st and releases July 24th

I'm considering to place a pre order and anyway have couple of months to decide if I want to cancel or not
    No 5G? I'm out.
    06-01-2020 02:17 PM
    Am I the only one excited for the Sony phone? The camera looks promising and I'm tempted to get back to Sony. It pretty much has everything and high refresh rate is the only thing missing which I don't see that much of a difference between all my phones. So not a deal breaker for me. No 5G in US sucks if you plan to keep the phone for long.

But I'm kind of excited about this, as usual Sony announcement, pre order, release etc is all so messed up. Pre order opens up June 1st and releases July 24th

I'm considering to place a pre order and anyway have couple of months to decide if I want to cancel or not
    It actually has a special type of Motion Blur Reduction which Sony claims makes the refresh rate equal to 90 Hz. You just have to enable it in the display settings.

For me though, NO U.S. 5G bands (and 1 missing 4G LTE one) IS a deal breaker though. ESPECIALLY since they didn't even bother to lower the price, which is so high in part due to the addition of 5G. Also no dedicated Face Unlock is just idiotic in 2020. If they were just a bit more considerate of their American customers, they would sell SO MANY more phones.
    06-03-2020 12:13 AM

If they were just a bit more considerate of their American customers, they would sell SO MANY more phones.
    Agreed on everything, but expect this

They could make this $700 and I guarantee it still won't sell. Nothing sells other than Apple and Samsung in the US in any reasonable number.
    benjamminh likes this.
    06-03-2020 01:56 AM
    So wanted to like this one. Sony usually laser focuses on certain areas and takes a different path with them. I like that.

But £1099 with 4000mAh, no real high refresh rate, no onscreen fps, no latest higher speed charging etc etc.
    Plus Sony's history of shoddy updates here. Deffo niche.

I'll pick one up later second hand to have a play.

Still waiting on my second Find X2 Pro coming on the slow boat from the far East after my first got lost in the Bermuda Triangle .
    06-03-2020 05:34 AM
    I've been interested in this phone since they announced it back in February I think it was. The biggest issue for me is lack of 5G in the US. Glad the reviews have been generally positive. We'll see if I make the jump from my Note, get the Note 20, or I'm honestly just considering keeping my 10+ for another year... who am I kidding? That's not gonna happen.
    mgbosshogg and benjamminh like this.
    06-03-2020 11:23 AM
    Weird confusion: when I try to pre-order on bestbuy's site, it says it is 5g compatible. Are they getting the euro-spec or is it a fluke? Also is the xperia pro significantly better?
    06-06-2020 10:18 PM
    So here we have an authentic comparison that's different from the "phone A vs phone b" fake ones on YouTube that never show you the actual phones. This guy has added the subtitles for us which is great. Some interesting results as well. The iPhone 11 Pro holds up very well against the 1 ii. Front facing camera hands down goes to the iPhone in daylight. At the end of the video the reviewer mentions that the Photo Pro app is currently waiting for a software update and cannot be used yet which is surprising seeing as how the loaner units sent to US creators has it enabled. I'm guessing that's for early test purposes given the July 24th shipping time frame. That gives Sony some time to improve some things if they see fit. Also RAW support is coming in a future update as well as a night mode mentioned by the reviewer. As is, inclined to wait now until Sony finalized everything. Also seeing how great the iPhone 11 Pro holds up here, I have decided to wait until the 12 Pro debuts alongside the Google Pixel 5 and Nokia Pureview 9.3 or whatever they call it. This fall is going to be heated in a good way.

Edit: the reviewer also stated that Sony has launched the Xperia 1 with apps that couldn't be used out of the gate until a software update was released. With this in mind Sony could really change the game if they enabled a night mode for all three lenses. This would make it an automatic buy for me personally if they do.

06-06-2020 10:39 PM
    This phone has one of the best new innovations I've ever heard. I would love Samsung to copy this.

Apparently when you plug the charger in, you can opt to bypass the phone's battery and power the phone directly. So no battery charging with battery heating and using up charge cycles. So you can watch hours and hours of videos and movies, games etc without running out of charge and at the same time not using the battery.

Brilliant!
    Grabber5.0 and SZQnl like this.
    06-07-2020 03:11 AM
    I so wanted to get one.
    4000mAh battery, no high refresh rate and slow charging put paid unfortunately. Shame.

I did post elsewhere - but for UK buyers O2 has this on refresh for £800 unlocked with the excellent B+O headphones thrown in. Which is around the price it should be. Far more palatable.
    06-07-2020 03:39 AM
    This phone has one of the best new innovations I've ever heard. I would love Samsung to copy this.

Apparently when you plug the charger in, you can opt to bypass the phone's battery and power the phone directly. So no battery charging with battery heating and using up charge cycles. So you can watch hours and hours of videos and movies, games etc without running out of charge and at the same time not using the battery.

Brilliant!
    Yes I saw that and that is such an underrated feature! So perfect for IF I would let my kids play Roblox on it.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    06-07-2020 08:46 AM

Brilliant!
    Perfect for Android Auto, music streaming, and navigation use in the car!
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-07-2020 09:42 AM
    Another authentic comparison this time with the S20+. He does mention some heat problems with the Xperia 1 ii though even though he says it doesn't shut off like it would with the Xperia Z3 back in the day. That was my first Android phone on T-Mobile and the last on the carrier.

06-07-2020 12:16 PM
    Weird confusion: when I try to pre-order on bestbuy's site, it says it is 5g compatible. Are they getting the euro-spec or is it a fluke? Also is the xperia pro significantly better?
    Probably just the listing isn't correct since no retailer or general consumer cares about the phone and they just threw up on their site. They are selling the US version not Euro version. Xperia pro is generic name, they have so many Xperia's are you talking about future Xperia 1 II pro? It's even more catered to professional audience and probably going to have 5G support in US since few months back in their presentation they said they are partnering with Verizon for the pro version. We haven't gotten much detail about the phone after that so we don't know if and when it's going to release.
    06-08-2020 10:09 AM
    So Sony may have a deal breaker in the camera for me and it comes down to the same reason why I returned the LG V60 IF Sony made the same mistake in my opinion. After watching the GSM Arena review again I realized the reviewer mentioned portrait mode using the main lens which is opposite from the preferred telephoto lens route for better composition and less cartoonish, distorted portraits. Thankfully with their image gallery they provide the exif data and sure enough the portrait mode pics display an f/1.7 aperture which is indeed the main lens. Google also does this for their portrait mode regardless of the telephoto lens on the Pixel 4 but they cleverly crop in a way that makes portraits rival phones that use the telephoto for the focal length. I'm not quite sure if Sony does the same or not but if they only use the main lens at the set focal length without the crop then that will be a no go for me. I take a ton of portrait mode photos on my phone. The ideal situation is actually what Apple and OnePlus offer which is the ability to use the telephoto or the main lens for portraits in which the 7 Pro did admirably well when I had it. I'll have to see a comparison in portrait mode from the same distance to know if Sony uses a more portrait friendly crop or does it make the subjects look like miniatures from certain distances.
    A few portrait shots from the Pixel 3a.
    Laura Knotek and SZQnl like this.
    06-08-2020 10:01 PM
64 123