Sony Xperia 1 II, is anyone else excited about it?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This phone has one of the best new innovations I've ever heard. I would love Samsung to copy this.

Apparently when you plug the charger in, you can opt to bypass the phone's battery and power the phone directly. So no battery charging with battery heating and using up charge cycles. So you can watch hours and hours of videos and movies, games etc without running out of charge and at the same time not using the battery.

Brilliant!
Perfect for Android Auto, music streaming, and navigation use in the car!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Another authentic comparison this time with the S20+. He does mention some heat problems with the Xperia 1 ii though even though he says it doesn't shut off like it would with the Xperia Z3 back in the day. That was my first Android phone on T-Mobile and the last on the carrier.

https://youtu.be/z6GnOmTNsIA

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Weird confusion: when I try to pre-order on bestbuy's site, it says it is 5g compatible. Are they getting the euro-spec or is it a fluke? Also is the xperia pro significantly better?
Probably just the listing isn't correct since no retailer or general consumer cares about the phone and they just threw up on their site. They are selling the US version not Euro version. Xperia pro is generic name, they have so many Xperia's are you talking about future Xperia 1 II pro? It's even more catered to professional audience and probably going to have 5G support in US since few months back in their presentation they said they are partnering with Verizon for the pro version. We haven't gotten much detail about the phone after that so we don't know if and when it's going to release.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So Sony may have a deal breaker in the camera for me and it comes down to the same reason why I returned the LG V60 IF Sony made the same mistake in my opinion. After watching the GSM Arena review again I realized the reviewer mentioned portrait mode using the main lens which is opposite from the preferred telephoto lens route for better composition and less cartoonish, distorted portraits. Thankfully with their image gallery they provide the exif data and sure enough the portrait mode pics display an f/1.7 aperture which is indeed the main lens. Google also does this for their portrait mode regardless of the telephoto lens on the Pixel 4 but they cleverly crop in a way that makes portraits rival phones that use the telephoto for the focal length. I'm not quite sure if Sony does the same or not but if they only use the main lens at the set focal length without the crop then that will be a no go for me. I take a ton of portrait mode photos on my phone. The ideal situation is actually what Apple and OnePlus offer which is the ability to use the telephoto or the main lens for portraits in which the 7 Pro did admirably well when I had it. I'll have to see a comparison in portrait mode from the same distance to know if Sony uses a more portrait friendly crop or does it make the subjects look like miniatures from certain distances.
A few portrait shots from the Pixel 3a.
c999b7dfe2b179e48cfe38a1b87010ec.jpg
bf618e9a712c378c823f329aa9ef50bc.jpg
6bd3e939270c0aa78759cdd8ea9df398.jpg
1efc8da7c690c0c9eb87c942286827aa.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member