Nexus Access on OEM Smartphones

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy S4 with stock Android on is a rumor come true. I remember last year there rumor with Google allow non nexus devices be able to access stock android. The Galaxy S4 with stock android maybe that rumor come true and maybe start of something great. I hope the Galaxy S4 with stock andriod is one unique device that google created but just one of many. I do worry about the Galaxy S4 with stock android is that Hugo Barra said updates to galaxy s4 will be updated "promptly" so what does promptly mean will it not update the same time as Google and secondly will the device be updated directly from Google?

I wonder what this Google Galaxy S4 mean for the future Nexus devices and well is the Google Galaxy S4 away for Google to break into the mainstream?

"Customization Center" is the rumor I am referring to

As to be expected, one of the Nexus commandments is ?thou shalt not alter the stock Android user experience.? I?m sure that sounds like a given but apparently Google could still find themselves throwing OEM?s a bone by allowing them to provide their own UI skin as part of a theme inside of an all new app dubbed ?Customization Center.? This will come packed inside the next version of Android 4.2 ? still being called Jelly Bean ? which will debut on the LG Optimus G Nexus. Customization Center will finally allow OEM?s to include their own UI skins they feel enhance the Android experience but would be in no way forced upon the user. Other than the the Customization Center, it?s said there wont be many changes from 4.1, other than a slightly retooled ?tabbed? launcher.
http://phandroid.com/2012/10/03/rumor-google-changing-up-their-nexus-program-lg-optimus-g-nexus-debuting-in-november-and-more/

I believe the Google Galaxy S4 maybe the fruits of the "Customization Center" rumor.

google_gs4_5_verge_super_wide.jpg

"Nexus User Experience" which means not a nexus and won't be updated the same time as Nexus devices.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Remind me again why this can't happen on CDMA networks?
Apple seems to have no problem with this.

Idk.

I want to where Google is heading with this device. I understood was Nexus Devices were great device show Google's androids software and a great tool food developers to improve Android. I believe Google doesn't have wishes to make Nexus a mainstream product or a iPhone competitor but rather just tool to innovate.

Google worked with Sony last year on the Xperia S to run aosp but at some point in project Google saw no further use to continue with the project. I guess they learned all need to implement stock android onto a existing OEM device.

Is this Galaxy S4 fruits of there work from Sony and what is Google's end goal?

What did gain from working, making and in near future selling this Galaxy S4?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What? It said "prompt system updates". This means it will get immediate updates. At the same time as Nexus devices.

Prompt isn't the same as immediate. Prompt could mean a few days, a few weeks or a month or two.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I wish all phones could come with vanilla or the skin. Let the user decide. Be nice if it worked just like windows laptops and desktops do.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Prompt isn't the same as immediate. Prompt could mean a few days, a few weeks or a month or two.

From Oxford Dictionary:
prompt |pr?mpt|
adjective
done without delay; immediate

From Oxford Thesaurus:
adjective
a prompt reply: quick, swift, rapid, speedy, fast, direct, immediate, instant

And besides this, why would the updates not be immediate? The only reason some phones don't get immediate updates is because of three things:
  • Bloatware needing to be updated
  • Manufacturer reviewing the update
  • Carrier reviewing the update

Since the phone is bloatless and the carrier and manufacturer are removed from the equation (with Google controlling all software), there's no reason for the phone to not get an immediate update unless Google purposely waits to push out the update. Which obviously won't happen.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
From Oxford Dictionary:

From Oxford Thesaurus:

And besides this, why would the updates not be immediate? The only reason some phones don't get immediate updates is because of three things:

Since the phone is bloatless and the carrier and manufacturer are removed from the equation (with Google controlling all software), there's no reason for the phone to not get an immediate update unless Google purposely waits to push out the update. Which obviously won't happen.

Well after my experience with the Xoom, I'll believe it when I see it. I remember waiting two weeks or more for 4.2 to be ota. And that was a Google Experience Device same as this.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
From Oxford Dictionary:

From Oxford Thesaurus:

Hugo Barra used the word promptly as it will not be immediate so by simply put the Galaxy S4 will not be update the same the Nexus devices. Otherwise Hugo Barra would said immediately or at same time. Another reason why I don't think this Galaxy S4 will be update immediately is because last year Xperia S AOSP project that Google left over the conflict of coding.Sony Xperia S removed from AOSP, project will live on at Sony GitHub | Android Central I believe Google probably has similar issues with Galaxy S4 and aosp. In end we will more in June.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress