Need serious help! Usb and other bugs

ColeConte

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind, I'd like to rant for just a sec before I continue with my questions. I've had this phone for less than a year, and so far- it's been a pain in my [expletive deleted]. I've been a loyal LG customer since I my first cell at 17- that's seven years of buying a new phone each year. When the Continuum was announced, I was willingly brought to the dark side of Samsung. I was told upon purchasing that Android 2.2 was GOING to be (not might be, but definitely) released within a few weeks...it's been 10 months now. However, this wouldn't be so bad- if my entire family (including my DH) didn't own OLDER PHONES with NEWER ANDROID UPDATES!!! I've called and complained vehemently, numerous times, to both Verizon and Samsung. Huge difference that made...as we all now have the 2.2 update, right? Anyway, my real issue is that 2.1 is so buggy my phone is going to sprout legs any day now and run away to a magical forest full of rainbows and scripted customer service reps. And, it seems as if I should have stuck with LG- at least when they [expletive deleted] you, it doesn't hurt so much afterwards. So...now that I've gotten that off my chest...if you're still around could you answer a few tech questions? :D

1. As of a week ago my computer(s) [yes, plural- all different OS's from XP through Win7] stopped recognizing my phone. I cannot transfer and drop files as I used to be able to do, and it's becoming absolutely infuriating. I've deleted and reinstalled drivers, checked every USB port, restarted (incessantly) both the phone and the computer(s)- to no avail. I've even changed the USB settings for my phone, so that it asks me (mass storage/media player) upon engaging with a USB connection. It will charge fantastically, but it will not mount. I was getting that stupid pop-up claiming that the device could not be recognized, yadda yadda, but now I'm not even getting that. I've read on a previous forum that you can delete USB memory logs...but yeah, I'm going to use the "I'm a girl" excuse and just say that I will probably kill the computer if I even attempt to do so without a complete walk-through. [Other info: SD card is readable outside of phone, cable is original, and phone has NOT been rooted]. So, if anyone could save me from destroying this phone in a RageQuit fashion- I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. My phone stops functioning randomly. Now, I'm not sure if this is just because of the ridiculous 2.1 or if there is some other issue going on. [These things do NOT happen all at once, all the time, or in any specific order] A phone call will come through, yet I can't answer it- the screen will not respond. When clicking on the icon to get into my app library- it just shows a black screen and never loads. Pictures I've taken that show up after I've taken them, will randomly disappear (and then reappear days later). And my ticker...well...that's another story for another day (it's possessed, and I'm pretty sure it has thoughts of murdering me). Taking out the battery, and waiting the allotted 10 seconds usually clears up any issue temporarily, but a few days later- it's back to acting as if it's Satan's puppet. So...any help with this would be fantastic also. I keep a minimum of apps on my phone (none, that I can control, run constantly, as I exit them in Task Manager) because I don't like that most are stored directly to my phone's internal storage- it seems to slow the phone down exponentially each time a new app is downloaded.

That's it for now. I truly appreciate any help received :p and Thanks for reading!

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind, I'd like to rant for just a sec before I continue with my questions. I've had this phone for less than a year, and so far- it's been a pain in my [expletive deleted]. I've been a loyal LG customer since I my first cell at 17- that's seven years of buying a new phone each year. When the Continuum was announced, I was willingly brought to the dark side of Samsung. I was told upon purchasing that Android 2.2 was GOING to be (not might be, but definitely) released within a few weeks...it's been 10 months now. However, this wouldn't be so bad- if my entire family (including my DH) didn't own OLDER PHONES with NEWER ANDROID UPDATES!!! I've called and complained vehemently, numerous times, to both Verizon and Samsung. Huge difference that made...as we all now have the 2.2 update, right? Anyway, my real issue is that 2.1 is so buggy my phone is going to sprout legs any day now and run away to a magical forest full of rainbows and scripted customer service reps. And, it seems as if I should have stuck with LG- at least when they [expletive deleted] you, it doesn't hurt so much afterwards. So...now that I've gotten that off my chest...if you're still around could you answer a few tech questions? :D

1. As of a week ago my computer(s) [yes, plural- all different OS's from XP through Win7] stopped recognizing my phone. I cannot transfer and drop files as I used to be able to do, and it's becoming absolutely infuriating. I've deleted and reinstalled drivers, checked every USB port, restarted (incessantly) both the phone and the computer(s)- to no avail. I've even changed the USB settings for my phone, so that it asks me (mass storage/media player) upon engaging with a USB connection. It will charge fantastically, but it will not mount. I was getting that stupid pop-up claiming that the device could not be recognized, yadda yadda, but now I'm not even getting that. I've read on a previous forum that you can delete USB memory logs...but yeah, I'm going to use the "I'm a girl" excuse and just say that I will probably kill the computer if I even attempt to do so without a complete walk-through. [Other info: SD card is readable outside of phone, cable is original, and phone has NOT been rooted]. So, if anyone could save me from destroying this phone in a RageQuit fashion- I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. My phone stops functioning randomly. Now, I'm not sure if this is just because of the ridiculous 2.1 or if there is some other issue going on. [These things do NOT happen all at once, all the time, or in any specific order] A phone call will come through, yet I can't answer it- the screen will not respond. When clicking on the icon to get into my app library- it just shows a black screen and never loads. Pictures I've taken that show up after I've taken them, will randomly disappear (and then reappear days later). And my ticker...well...that's another story for another day (it's possessed, and I'm pretty sure it has thoughts of murdering me). Taking out the battery, and waiting the allotted 10 seconds usually clears up any issue temporarily, but a few days later- it's back to acting as if it's Satan's puppet. So...any help with this would be fantastic also. I keep a minimum of apps on my phone (none, that I can control, run constantly, as I exit them in Task Manager) because I don't like that most are stored directly to my phone's internal storage- it seems to slow the phone down exponentially each time a new app is downloaded.

That's it for now. I truly appreciate any help received :p and Thanks for reading!

Ok. For the USB issue. Try going into settings/applications/development and checking USB debugging.

The other list of issues you have (with the possible exception of pictures) all related to the wonderful pos called touchwhiz. I would do one of two tthings
1. Try clearing data in settings/applications. /manage applications (note you'll have to set your home screens back up)
2. Pick a different launcher. I recommend go launcher.

The ticker is gonna be screwy. The "maintenance update" broke it on several levels. As for your phone, you could probably try clearing data in the phone app as well. But it's tied to your contacts, so make sure you back them up on google first, just in case.
The last recourse would be a factory reset. Irritating, and time consuming, but it would probably fix you for the longest period of time. Let me know if this helps any

I am not a fly, i am levitation. I represent an entire generation. - Niki Minaj

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty