unlocked phone updates

b.mike

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. New to android, came from blackberry world. I bought a phone that was on bell, unlocked and now am on telus. My question is...where do my updates come from if they come?

Posted via the Android Central App

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. The updates come from telus. You should be on version 5.0.2. Just go into settings, the click on about device and it will tell you. If it's not on 502, then run the check for updates and it should bring it to the current version.

b.mike

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if there would be carrier support for a device they didn't carry.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm that's actually a good point. Lol. I think they will, since they just stopped selling the alphas within the last 6 months.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Updates always come from the original carrier the phone is designed for. Your current carrier has no say on it even if it wants to.

b.mike

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So I won't be getting any more updates since I am not connected to the original carrier.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You typically don't have to connect to original carrier to get updates but it is up to the original carrier to setup the restrictions. For example, AT&T version of Akpha's Lollipop update is restricted to those who have AT&T sim in the phone as well as connected to AT&T network in US. I suspect that has a lot to do with the size of the update, about 1GB of download, so that AT&T doesn't have to waste its server resources for non-AT&T customers.