Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Battery life sucks, as does charging

boprice2012

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery life sucks, as does charging

I've had my Note 10.1 2014 for 3 weeks now and the battery life has been very reliable, gets me through the day with note taking and research for my college classes, with games and video streaming thrown in at random. I have always made sure that all of my excess settings (gps, blutooth, multiwindow, etc) have always been off unless I was using it on all of my Android devices, so that probably helped me out a lot. I would just get in the habit of turning these various settings off unless you're using them.

As for the charging, I usually charge overnight and it seems to be fully charged after about 5-6 hours starting from around 10% when I plug it in.

Posted via Note 10.1 2014

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

I've had my Note 10.1 2014 for 3 weeks now and the battery life has been very reliable, gets me through the day with note taking and research for my college classes, with games and video streaming thrown in at random. I have always made sure that all of my excess settings (gps, blutooth, multiwindow, etc) have always been off unless I was using it on all of my Android devices, so that probably helped me out a lot. I would just get in the habit of turning these various settings off unless you're using them.

As for the charging, I usually charge overnight and it seems to be fully charged after about 5-6 hours starting from around 10% when I plug it in.

Posted via Note 10.1 2014

Dude don't let your battery get below 20%, otherwise you'll just be draining it.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I posted this in the thread for Poetic case but it applies to the battery also.

I just got a Poetic case yesterday and it's great for the price. Fits great and super cheap price. I power off the tablet, not just the screen every night or when I leave for work. Battery lasts for days and no issues for almost a month now. Last night I think I had close to 50% power before turning it off. This morning it was dead!!!!! Anyone else using a case experience this? This case is supposed to wake up or sleep the screen but it shouldn't be turning the tablet on if the power is off!

UPDATE: I researched other threads and tried pressing the power button 10 to 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, the battery icon appeared with over 2/3 charge! Pressing the power button the normal 2 to 3 seconds now turns it on and it shows 72% power! Any ideas what happened?

Last edited:

bendawgs

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Just got another note. Same problem. This is ridiculous, the battery life shouldn't be this poor. I'm done with Samsung. They expect to get 600 dollars with a **** poor battery like this. Sorry, just not happening. Looks like I'm headed the way of the Ipad. Thanks for the help everyone I do appreciate the time you all spent. I hate to be a whiner but this isn't acceptable.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Mine has been nothing short of amazing. This is taking no steps to conserve battery. I have done everything from web, email, Netflix, YouTube, reading a book, etc. I keep my brightness on 35-40%. Very happy with this tablet.

Attachments

• 1384491711678.jpg
    1384491711678.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 78
  • 1384491725915.jpg
    1384491725915.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 78

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I returned my first Note 10.1 after finding it took forever to charge. I also had a strange problem where the batter went from 75% down to 10% within minutes. I would connect and it would barely charge. I turned it off and turned it on again and all of a sudden that battery would show it back up to 60 something percent. Then the same immediate drain on the battery or perceived drain would happen. I now have a new unit and after charging it over night it was only at 56% this morning. This is after 8 hours of charging. I am still finding the battery drains very quickly. At this point I could not be more disappointed in the tablet. I came for the original 10.1 and could not have been happier.

knuck1111

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

I agree, battery life sucks. You can turn off things like smart screen, gps, bluetooth etc and battery life improves somewhat but is still well below the ipad.

Torque

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I use my tablet heavily 16-17hrs a day. As soon as I got it I went in and turned off/disabled much of the unnecessary stuff I have no use for and that are not needed for all the things I use this tablet for. I will admit I never have the screen brightness above 15% bc it seems incredibly bright to me even below that part. I think it's a little unreasonable to expect that a device with these specs (performance, screen, and included software load) that is slimmer than previously to magically last an incredibly long time. It is built to do more and to do more faster and more vibrantly, therefore, it will require more energy. If nanotechnology and the like were progressing at the same speed we are creating beefier machines and expecting insanely improved visuals, we wouldn't have this problem but all companies do.

I think the battery guide that the above user created is incredibly helpful, I unfortunately did all mine on my own but I still had great results. You can't expect the tablet if it has every single available input and detection capability turned on and is constantly searching for stimulus to not drain a battery. There's a ton of stuff like that and bloatware that you can disable in system settings itself or "ignore" with Nova etc that will not impact your aggressive use of the tablet.

As I've said in another thread my tablet was shipped within the US, then brought via plane out of the country, and it was left on the whole time, around 8 days. It had 18% left with Snote, settings, Email, File Manager, Dolphin, and Chrome on standby. I use mine heavily and just need to plug it in for 2-3 hours about ever 24hrs and it charges while I use it to continue to take notes, edit PDFs, use the internet, download documents, have email up, transfer files, and download/play my podcast or stream MRI, CT, ECG's.

I'd suggest to anyone having battery issues- a) follow the disable guide, b)periodically close apps you won't need, c) practice good battery preservation- keep it in the sweet spot zone of % whenever possible and don't leave it plugged in once at 100%, don't have it running hot for long periods of time), d) RETURN the device if it is draining improperly.

You can start with a severe clean up and then add stuff back in one by one to see if you can pinpoint a problem app or use. This tablet may not be for everyone, I did extensive research and determined that with my heavy use the battery is excellent but I also know if I travel to outer mongolia to research bactrian camels, I can't rely on heavily using my tablet for more than 2 days straight without having to find a power source.

I don't really game on it, its an available feature but not the central point of this tablet and I'd be annoyed if there was a game I loved that drained it 40% after 2hrs, but why are we currently expecting tablets to play intensive games all day on a battery when we'd never expect the same of the PS3/4, xbox, etc?

I thought I was going to have to get Nova to have a speedier experience. After I altered the settings and tightened everything up there was nothing to speed up. It was surperb. Even before doing so I had no issues and no lag anywhere. I ended up bringing in Nova solely bc personally I prefer the customization and cleaner interface. I fully believe there are 2014s out there going to people that inherently kind of suck and tweaking, resetting, and updates are necessary, AND there are some that just need to get returned be it for hardware, software, or specifically battery issues. But if you do your research first, and this model is your ideal productivity monster, and you get one that's not screwy, its absolutely wonderful!

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I am not a heavy user and have kept what is running to a minimum yet my battery is going down about 7 to 10% every 20 minutes. I also find when I charge it is charges at a snails pace. I do not by any means need my tablet to last more then 5 to 7 hours with average use but I would pay to get 5 hours out of this tablet at this point. Yes, they have made the tablet thinner and more powerful but there is an expectation that I can get more then 3 hours out of this thing. This is also the second one. The first one which I returned was even worse so I am finding it hard to believe that I just happen to get two models that have actual issues. As I stated earlier I could not be more disappointed at this point.

Torque

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Forgive me if I missed you mentioning this previously or in another thread but did you do a factory reset after the updates on either tablet? If you can't get more than a few hours than that is absolutely unacceptable especially in two different tablets.

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Mine has been off charger since 1030 last night, wifi, bluetooth, and heavy forum browsing and I'm just under half. Can't speak to charging time as yet, but I'm guessing it's slower thanmy N3 because it's only USB 2.0 right.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I think I found my problem. My NY Daily News app seemed to be doing great harm to my battery and tablet in general. I am not 100% ready to declare this has completely fixed my issues but early indications are good. I never had this problem on my original Note 10.1 so I am assuming it could be an issue for the app working with 4.3.

Torque

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone know where VDC530's guide can be found now? Its removed from XDA and android central and I had wanted to forward a bunch of people to where they can read it. Thanks!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

After a week and a half, I'm finding that the battery is a bit better than I had thought. When I first fired it up, the battery went down to 50% after 3.5 hours of screen time, which would, according to math, would result into 7 hours of screen time down to zero. But perhaps installing all of those apps took a bigger toll on the battery than I thought -- I am now getting 4-4.5 hours of screen time at 50%, which translates to 8-9 hours screen time, which is respectable considering the 2560 X 1600 screen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Just to chime in here. I just got mine and after the first full charge and three days of moderate/heavy use it's still got 35% left, about 5 hours screen-on time and a lot of app downloads and syncing and no features but SmartStay turned off. That seems like pretty good battery life to me :) But I do have to be honest, it's not beating the iPad when it comes to stand-by power draw. I compared it last night against my now soon-to-be-sold iPad 4 and the iPad didn't show any drop in battery overnight, but the Note dropped about 3%.

Josh Collins

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I have a bit different results with mine when I look at the battery usage screen. Android OS is taking up 60% of my battery. In fact, if I leave it for 2 days and don't use it at all the battery goes dead. This is horrible, my wife has an IPad that is synced up to more services (facebook, twitter etc) and she gets a week easily.

I charged mine last night for 5 hours and it only got to 87% charged and after 15 minute netflix I am down to 80%. If I watch two movies my battery is dead. I just removed all the widgets from my screens to see if that will help battery life. I will keep you all posted if it does.

Off subject, anyone else have issues with blue tooth devices. My mouse is super choppy and unusable and my keyboard has so much lag I can't use it either. I love my android phone but this tablet is giving me buyers remorse already.

Medic1210

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Man, this thread is making me worry. After reading a bunch of reviews on Amazon, I finally pulled the trigger on a black 32gb this afternoon. With my Prime membership, I have it set to deliver tomorrow. I knew I wouldn't get the battery life I currently get on my iPad 2 that I've had for about 2 1/2 years, but the reviews I read made me feel the difference was not major. I really hope I have better results than the OP and a couple others. I do know I bought my daughter an original Nexus 7 last year, and that thing had horrible battery drain, and if it was allowed to die completely (as kids are apt to do), it would take forever to just get it turned back on, and recharging was ridiculously slow. I'm gonna be upset if this Note 10.1 does the same thing.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I have both ipad air and note 10.1 2014. I use them equally daily basis. I found both are not much different in term of battery drainage. I agreed that ipad charge much quicker. I don't do game on neither, so I can't share the experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38