Tablet Can't Go Out of Sleep When Locked (Deep Sleep?)

Thomi2

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 worked well for months, until a few days ago when it started to be kind of bugged for some simple tasks. Suddenly, the screen went totally black, like I'd ask the tablet to turn off - but I didn't - so I immediately tried to turn it back on, but the screen stayed black. I saw the keys next to the home button being white just like normal ; I could even hear the unlock sound when I made the gesture on the black screen - there was no passcode - I tried many things like hard reset, and even going to recovery to do a complete wipe. nothing worked. I suppose that comes from a material problem, something with a connector and the screen. But that seems illogic, because when I normally restart the tablet; only by using the power button, it restarts, and the boot screen appears, and I can reach the home screen, with everything working.
The solution could be to deactivate screen timeout, but that won't tell me what the problem is.
I read some cases like mine with the exact same tablet, so I suppose there is an hardware error that came with this model.

Could you help me figure out what the problem is, and find a permanent solution before I'll send it for service repair ? Thanks. :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's a hardware problem, no, unless you have the hardware that has to be replaced. If the screen comes on when you start normally but won;t turn on after timeout, though, I suspect the ROM, and it needs a reflash. A connector wouldn't be intermittent in exactly the same way due to software differences (cold start vs. wake-up). If you reflash the ROM and brick the tab, the warranty is void. And if the available ROM is the one with the bug you won't accomplish anything.

Of course, it could be just an intermittent LED layer in the screen, but 1 year is a very short time for LEDs to fail. It's under warranty? Let Samsung worry about it. That's why you paid for a warranty. (It's figured into the price.)

Thomi2

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat, but this is the Samsung Stock Rom. Even though it's been on different custom Roms many times, I don't think it would be the cause of the problem. I sent it for service repair. By the way, I noticed - when I try to re-unlock it but it stays in a complete dark screen - that it shows some text, but I barely can read it because the brightness is super low, looks like the image stayed on the screen as that might appear on some LCD screens, I heard.
Thank you Jonathon Towers, and as I can prove now, many users had similar problems. The brightness worked well when I tried to set it the way I wanted. As I said, I barely notice text when I try to get it out of sleep after the screen timeout. Even if I sent it for service repair - the warranty is still active - I'll check out the video. Thank you guys for your answers.

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Disregard the fix I mentioned. It is for if you can't see anything at all on the screen when trying to wake up; as well as the brightness/contrast not adjusting.