45w charging times. Disappointing Unfortunately

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If you were expecting a total charging time reduction of about 30 minutes from the 25w charging 65 minute time you may be disappointed especially since its an extra $50. According to this website:
https://droidsans.com/review-samsung-super-fast-charge-45w/

After 30 minutes you are only ahead by 6% with 45w charging (vs 25w) and total saved time from 0-100 is only about 9 minutes! :(:-

Bummer. BUT I'll still take 9 minutes off my times! :):cool:

I'll still be looking for confirmation from another test and this is most likely an exynos version. So we'll see in other future tests are any different.

Attachments

• note10_charging5.jpg
    note10_charging5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 72
  • note10_charging4.jpg
    note10_charging4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 74
  • char.JPG
    char.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Dang. Honestly if I were spending actual money I'm not sure I'd buy the 45W charger for just an extra nine minutes. Since I'm using the Samsung gift card though, it's a pretty easy choice.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Dang. Honestly if I were spending actual money I'm not sure I'd buy the 45W charger for just an extra nine minutes. Since I'm using the Samsung gift card though, it's a pretty easy choice.

I'm using Samsung Pay points myself to order the 15w wireless and 45w chargers.

I also ordered a non samsung 45w wall charger and car charger from amazon so I wouldn't have to wait for 45w charging and its cheaper. I'm worried its not going to work at 45w speeds though based on what I read about the new spec requirements. I don't think it gets anymore confusing. Good job manufacturers.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Strange that the picture has a Note 10 taking much longer to charger on the same 25w charging as the Note 10+ despite having a smaller battery.

Last edited:

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
strange that the picture has a Note 10 taking much longer to charger on the same 25w charging as the Note 10+ with a smaller battery.

Yeah pretty strange , I'm not sure about this test , my Samsung charger will be here on Sept 13 I guess I'll know then
Looks fake to me
Super fast charging is supposed to charge 0-100 in 40 min
This from AC as well :

Attachments

• 23093.jpg
    23093.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 62

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it charges faster at lower percentages though. Like the oh crap my phone is dead and I have to leave in 10 minutes range.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
If you were expecting a total charging time reduction of about 30 minutes from the 25w charging 65 minute time you may be disappointed especially since its an extra $50. According to this website:

After 30 minutes you are only ahead by 6% with 45w charging (vs 25w) and total saved time from 0-100 is only about 9 minutes! :(:-

I'll still be looking for confirmation from another test and this is most likely an exynos version. So we'll see in other future tests are any different.
Thank you for this but I'd like to see more testing, with the US (110 volt) 45W charger on snapdragon units...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't surprise me. From www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Increasing the charge current does not hasten the full-charge state by much. Although the battery reaches the voltage peak quicker, the saturation charge will take longer accordingly. With higher current, Stage 1 is shorter but the saturation during Stage 2 will take longer. A high current charge will, however, quickly fill the battery to about 70 percent.

Basically, increased charging rates aren't without tradeoffs.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

The article on front page says 40 minutes with 45w, that would be 25 minutes:

"You should be able to go from 0-100% in around 40 minutes."

https://www.androidcentral.com/editors-desk-charging-arm-and-leg-and-note-10

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't read that article, but did they mention anything about the ambient conditions? Particularly about the temperatures. Protection algorithms can slow down charging if it gets too hot. When I had a Chevy Volt, sometimes the garage would get pretty warm as the cooling system kicks in to regulate battery temps. Phones don't generally have active cooling so the only thing it would be able to do is slow the charge rate.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
It looks like it charges faster at lower percentages though. Like the oh crap my phone is dead and I have to leave in 10 minutes range.

That was true of adaptive fast charging too. The idea is that batteries are safer to charge at high speed when they are low on charge. As the charge reached maximum capacity, the AFC slow down to protect the battery.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I can't read that article, but did they mention anything about the ambient conditions? Particularly about the temperatures. Protection algorithms can slow down charging if it gets too hot. When I had a Chevy Volt, sometimes the garage would get pretty warm as the cooling system kicks in to regulate battery temps. Phones don't generally have active cooling so the only thing it would be able to do is slow the charge rate.

Here's another article. This one says 60 minutes so not sure were AC got 40.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/cnn-underscored/samsung-45-watt-charger-note-10-review/index.html

"I've been testing the Note 10+ with the 45-watt USB-C charger, and the results have been impressive. With the device entirely dead, at 0%, and plugged into the charger with the included cable, it quickly reached 2% in just over a minute, then 25% in less than nine minutes, and a remarkable 50% in about 20 minutes. It's a high-speed charger that doesn't cause the plug itself to get very hot or even warm to the touch. The phone did get a bit warm -- nothing that would burn your hand, though.

At 32 minutes, the Note 10+ hit 75%, and three minutes later it hit 80%. It seems that the power delivery slowed down as we started to approach 100%. This was most notable at about 75% and resulted in only a few percentage increases over a few minutes. It hit 95% at 50 minutes and a full 100% charge at just over an hour. It hit 99%, nearly a full charge, at just under 60 minutes, and took about three minutes to hit 100%. That's fast, really fast indeed."

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It hit 99%, nearly a full charge, at just under 60 minutes, and took about three minutes to hit 100%. That's fast, really fast indeed."

So 63 minutes for a full charge. The reports I'm reading for the 25W charger is 65 minutes. Yeah, big savings there.

I'm now waiting to see the flood of complaints of ruined batteries in under a year because of all these 0-100% tests making people think that's actually acceptable long term on a sealed battery.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'll stick to charging my phone overnight on the 2019 dual fast wireless charger and use the included 25w charger for emergency. Maybe I'll buy the new 15w wireless charger. Definitely not wasting my money in the 45w charger.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/cnn-underscored/samsung-45-watt-charger-note-10-review/index.html

"I've been testing the Note 10+ with the 45-watt USB-C charger, and the results have been impressive. With the device entirely dead, at 0%, and plugged into the charger with the included cable, it quickly reached 2% in just over a minute, then 25% in less than nine minutes, and a remarkable 50% in about 20 minutes. It's a high-speed charger that doesn't cause the plug itself to get very hot or even warm to the touch. The phone did get a bit warm -- nothing that would burn your hand, though.

At 32 minutes, the Note 10+ hit 75%, and three minutes later it hit 80%. It seems that the power delivery slowed down as we started to approach 100%. This was most notable at about 75% and resulted in only a few percentage increases over a few minutes. It hit 95% at 50 minutes and a full 100% charge at just over an hour. It hit 99%, nearly a full charge, at just under 60 minutes, and took about three minutes to hit 100%. That's fast, really fast indeed."

I honestly think AC was guessing on how much of a difference it would make on charge time. Of course maybe it's faster with the phone powered down etc.

friguy3

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
And I'm reading to use 45w charging you need a USB 3.1 gen 2 cable, which maxes out at 3ft. Wtf. This confirmed? I love my 10ft USB cable

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And I'm reading to use 45w charging you need a USB 3.1 gen 2 cable, which maxes out at 3ft. Wtf. This confirmed? I love my 10ft USB cable
Longer cables have higher resistance unless you increase the wire size. That's likely why it's limited in length.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

The 50% in 20 minutes is the cool part to me, as someone who has forgotten or been unable to plug the phone in overnight before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress