App Data file transfer from note 9 to note 10+

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks hope everyone is having a good morning/day/evening. So im going to explain and make things clear so the same questions don't need to be asked.

I received my note 10 plus on Monday and set everything up accordingly via Samsung smart switch phone to phone method. Apps,photos,videos,files etc. all transferred over. I also restored some of my stuff through Samsung cloud. However, I was wondering if there is a way I can transfer the actual app data itself onto the new phone. I tried to move it to the SD card and restore it on the new phone but to no avail. I know I can do this through ADB but wanted to see if there was another route to take.

I know google play games syncs across devices but I have other apps besides games that I dont want to have to set up all over again so wonder what options there are.

Of note, I tried helium back up but no matter what method I try to back it up to it keeps failing.

Any help is appreciated thank you in advance.

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
If you get a good answer, let me know, cuz that's one of the things I hate most about setting up a new phone.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've lost a lot of hours of gameplay because I can't figure out how to transfer that data. Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
There was an app called helium, I don't know if it's still around.
It could backup some app data but unfortunately not all. I used it several times and I believe game data is one thing it could not do, at least not for my games.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
If you are looking for something specific, you may try to see where the app stores the data and work from there. Once you know where the data is, you can see if it's even accessible on a non rooted device. Also is there important data or info unique to the app stored in multiple locations on the device. I would say if it's accessible there's a chance you may be able to port it over (Samsung SS may not always copy the app and it's data in the right order.

Cheers,
BR

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I was finally able to import my game data from the Google Play Cloud. Phew! Just make sure you sync all your games with Google Game and all game data can be transferred to your new device, assuming you log in to the same Google Game account.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I was finally able to import my game data from the Google Play Cloud. Phew! Just make sure you sync all your games with Google Game and all game data can be transferred to your new device, assuming you log in to the same Google Game account.
Please read over my post again thanks.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for something specific, you may try to see where the app stores the data and work from there. Once you know where the data is, you can see if it's even accessible on a non rooted device. Also is there important data or info unique to the app stored in multiple locations on the device. I would say if it's accessible there's a chance you may be able to port it over (Samsung SS may not always copy the app and it's data in the right order.

Cheers,
BR

Its under the file manager under Android folder is where all the files are stored. Cant transfer them manually. Its challenging.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If your Google account was also setup to backup your account on your old device then you can do a restore from your Google account and it should also restore the app data if the app is developed that way. Unfortunately this can only be done during the initial setup of your device and can't do a restore after the phones already been configured.

When I setup a new device I always do a restore from both Google and Samsung accounts.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If your Google account was also setup to backup your account on your old device then you can do a restore from your Google account and it should also restore the app data if the app is developed that way. Unfortunately this can only be done during the initial setup of your device and can't do a restore after the phones already been configured.

When I setup a new device I always do a restore from both Google and Samsung accounts.

unfortunately, that way you get mass slammed and don't get to pick and choose which to put. things that aren't good for you and your phone get re-added too. always safer to do a fresh install of apps. tedious, but better in the long run now.

I install everything fresh except music, photos, things like that. things I know are safe and won't create conflicts or potentially have malware.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Man i sooo miss titanium :eek:

TI Backup was awesome. I kinda worked on non rooted phones but with big limitations. I know there is a backup app from Sandisk that you can use with certain of their storage products (had that on my Note 5 after the Note 7 mess) it seemed to backup ok, I never did try a restore with it tho.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
TI Backup was awesome. I kinda worked on non rooted phones but with big limitations. I know there is a backup app from Sandisk that you can use with certain of their storage products (had that on my Note 5 after the Note 7 mess) it seemed to backup ok, I never did try a restore with it tho.

I used to use an app from GP store that I have since forgotten the name and it would back up every apk you wanted it too, plus data, and restore them. I think it stopped working well around the time of the Note 4, and it only worked if you had root for the apks and data. once it quit working well for general backups I dumped it. it was great for a while though.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately, that way you get mass slammed and don't get to pick and choose which to put. things that aren't good for you and your phone get re-added too. always safer to do a fresh install of apps. tedious, but better in the long run now.

I install everything fresh except music, photos, things like that. things I know are safe and won't create conflicts or potentially have malware.
You actually do get to pick and choose what you want installed. From both Google restore and Samsungs. Yes a fresh install is always better but that's not what the OP was asking about.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
You actually do get to pick and choose what you want installed. From both Google restore and Samsungs. Yes a fresh install is always better but that's not what the OP was asking about.

I never got the option to choose. it always just mass loaded the previous devices apps from Google. maybe it's offered now. and Samsung I only use to transfer non-critical data as previously mentioned.

and yeah, I know that's not what was being asked by the op.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87