Fast Wireless 2.0 - 12W vs 15W

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Back when the S10+ came out in March, I went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung Duo charging pad, which included fast charge 2.0 on the left pad. I wasn't paying much attention to the power rating at the time, but apparently this charges the S10+ (and presumably Note 10+ also) at 12W.

Fast forward five months. Since I pre-ordered the Note 10+, I got a $150 credit at Samsung.com for phone-related accessories. All the cases were out of stock, so I opted for the charging bundle, which fortuitously costs exactly $150 and includes a Fast Charge 2.0 stand. I'm not sure whether I would have bought this with my own money since I already have the duo pad. But it's rated at 15W and the other two items in the bundle (portable wireless charger and 45W wall charger) were things I wanted. So I figured I'd just go for it.

Anyway, I haven't gotten much of a chance to test these two chargers against one another; I keep my Note 10+ on a charger most of the workday so it's rarely below 90%. Today I decided to keep it off the charger all day, except for when I needed to plug it into my car to use Android Auto and stuff. After about nine hours, it was at 65%, and I decided to put it on both the duo pad and the 15W charging stand to see what was the difference in estimated charge times. From the 15W stand, my phone estimated 40 minutes to a full charge. From the pad, it estimated 38 minutes. So a two minute difference.

Obviously, fast charging is highly non-linear, and it will charge must faster from a very low charge. Presumably this would result in a higher differential. Who knows? Maybe from 20%, you gain an extra 5 or 10 minutes. But how often are our phones that low? It looks like the benefit you get from the stand vs. the pad is in the 2-5 minute range. Not entirely sure I would get the stand over the pad if I were spending my own money. And for those of us who own Galaxy Watches and/or buds, this is significant because the convenience of having a single charger for two devices might outweigh the benefit of such a small gain in charge time.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some hopefully useful info.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
To me personally, for wireless charging it doesn't matter if it is 5-10 or 15w as I normally use it at night or at work but please post it up if you find out for sure.
I have the Duo charger stand they gave out free with the Galaxy Watch so it would be one less thing to buy if it did do 15w wireless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38