[AT&T] Basic Rooting Question

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple Rooting Question I am hoping someone can help with. I can find answer after reading all the guides out there.

1) after rooting, will I have the google software on my phone?? Like SPen? Which software will be lost

2) Will rooting wipe the data? will I have reinstall anything?

3) After rooting do I need to have a custom rom, or will rooting give me samsung original OS?

Thank you

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Basic Rooting Question

I have a couple Rooting Question I am hoping someone can help with. I can find answer after reading all the guides out there.
Thank you
1) after rooting, will I have the google software on my phone?? Like SPen? Which software will be lost

Depending on how you rooted. But for instance if you use Chainfires auto root ,Nothing will be lost it will be exactly the same as before you rooted.

2) Will rooting wipe the data? will I have reinstall anything?

Same answer as above

3) After rooting do I need to have a custom rom, or will rooting give me samsung original OS?

Same answer as above, you do not need to put a custom rom if you do not want to.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

whats the benefit of one rooting method versus the other?
I dont have an AT&T device so i am not sure all of the options. but most of them come down to personal preference. what people precieve as easier over other methods.
if you show me the links to the methods you wanted to try ill tell you what the differences are.

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

To be honest, I have only two basic reason to root at this time. I would like to have more apps available via multi view. Right now there are only a handful of aps that can be used in MV. In particular I want to us WhatsApps in MV.

Secondly I want to tether to my lap top occasionally.

Will chain fire allow me to those?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

To be honest, I have only two basic reason to root at this time. I would like to have more apps available via multi view. Right now there are only a handful of aps that can be used in MV. In particular I want to us WhatsApps in MV.

Secondly I want to tether to my lap top occasionally.

Will chain fire allow me to those?

Any method of root will lead you to the same result. Once you root you will have the ability to make the modifications necessary to achieve those changes.

if you are using AT&T note 2 follow these directions http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ms-hacks/236419-t-galaxy-note-2-how-root.html

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

I noticed this guide does not discuss CF but instead TWRP & CWM . How does CF compare to these two in terms of ease of installation or any other benefit?

Also does rooting unlockkthe phone for global use or is that on the phone side of the device?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I noticed this guide does not discuss CF but instead TWRP & CWM . How does CF compare to these two in terms of ease of installation or any other benefit?

Also does rooting unlockkthe phone for global use or is that on the phone side of the device?

In that thread
Step #1 - Rooting:
Direction & files needed to root device - [2012.12.04][SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

for AT&T i think there are further steps. for sim unlocking i am not sure as Verizon version is already sim unlocked.

TWRP and CWM are custom recoveries that allow you to install custom software and modifications onto your phone.

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

I have two more question and I am pretty sure I will have enough to make up my mind

Am i correct in my interpretation and understing of the articles i read that if I am satisfied with the lay out, fonts etc of samsung rom that I dont need to a custom rom?

I also receive my employer's email on my phone. To do so, i have to give up some administrative rights for access. Will any of that be affected by rooting or changing the custom rom/

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are satisfied with stock then why root? Root gives you access to change anything you want on your phone.

If you change your rom you will most likely lose the settings for your email. Just write down all the settings for email access, vpn etc.

Sent via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have two more question and I am pretty sure I will have enough to make up my mind

Am i correct in my interpretation and understing of the articles i read that if I am satisfied with the lay out, fonts etc of samsung rom that I dont need to a custom rom?

I also receive my employer's email on my phone. To do so, i have to give up some administrative rights for access. Will any of that be affected by rooting or changing the custom rom/

You do not need a custom rom if you are happy with the way the phone is now. But a rom like CleanRom is almost identical to the original factory rom.

If you root and your admin finds that you are rooted they may ask you to remove any company access. But you can root, make the changes you want to change them unroot. Same with custom rom you can put the custom rom then unroot the custom rom and have a secure device. Of course depending how knowledgeable your company admin is he may check and see you are modified but most will not know what to look for besides checker for root access.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: [AT&T] Basic Rooting Question

If you are satisfied with stock then why root? Root gives you access to change anything you want on your phone.

If you change your rom you will most likely lose the settings for your email. Just write down all the settings for email access, vpn etc.

Sent via Tapatalk

I want to root because I want to be able to 1) tether and 2) because I want to be able to use more programs on my MV screen. Do I need a custom rom to do these? My undertsanting is that these limitations may have been imposed by att. Other than that I like the samsung lay out

I am not so concerned about my employers settings being lost. I am concerned that the rooted phone will show up as a risk to their system and will be prohibited from accessing it.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sent via Tapatalk

I want to root because I want to be able to 1) tether and 2) because I want to be able to use more programs on my MV screen. Do I need a custom rom to do these? My undertsanting is that these limitations may have been imposed by att. Other than that I like the samsung lay out

I am not so concerned about my employers settings being lost. I am concerned that the rooted phone will show up as a risk to their system and will be prohibited from accessing it.

Thanks

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You do not need a custom rom if you are happy with the way the phone is now. But a rom like CleanRom is almost identical to the original factory rom. From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

if it is idenditcal, what is the benefit of installing clean rom versus just sticking with the stock rom? I know i am talking in theoretical terms and its because I have no experience in this so I greatly appreciate your patience.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
if it is idenditcal, what is the benefit of installing clean rom versus just sticking with the stock rom? I know i am talking in theoretical terms and its because I have no experience in this so I greatly appreciate your patience.

Clean rom has removed allot if preinstalled applications. Also adds multiwindow control app that's allows you to choose all the apps you want to use in multiwindow changes toggle switches in notification....etc .basically it had already made the modifications you want to make. But you can also make these changes yourself.

Again you don't need a custom rom. I do not know how deeply your work monitors your device. I only use my device to receive emails from work and they have never looked at my device but otger companies are different.

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
so im fairly new at this. Im with rogers and have the note 2 sgh i317m midel which I finally was able to root. I was hoping for it to be updated to 4.1.2 with multi window but it just rooted. Ive downloaded a few roms ie jedi x but I cant seem to install it. It says I need clockwork recoery ir something but I cant seem to get that. Is there anyone who can help me make this hapoen as painlessly and easy as possible? Im so lost right now!
Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
.basically it had already made the modifications you want to make. But you can also make these changes yourself.

Could it be that there the flaw in my logic (which i admit is based on theory and not experience) is that I am assuming I will be able to make those mods my self. for eg, I am assminng that once I root, I will be able to simply add any apps to multiview.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
so im fairly new at this. Im with rogers and have the note 2 sgh i317m midel which I finally was able to root. I was hoping for it to be updated to 4.1.2 with multi window but it just rooted. Ive downloaded a few roms ie jedi x but I cant seem to install it. It says I need clockwork recoery ir something but I cant seem to get that. Is there anyone who can help me make this hapoen as painlessly and easy as possible? Im so lost right now!

You can use twrp instead of clockwork recovery.
Download this from the market
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.s0up.goomanager&token=wRu-lDx7

Open it> menu button> install openrecoveryscript> wait and it will install on your phone

Then go here http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=237940
[How to] Use Custom Recoveries - Let the fun begin!

Read the part on how to install a rom it is a vzw thread but the way you flash a rom is still the same.

Could it be that there the flaw in my logic (which i admit is based on theory and not experience) is that I am assuming I will be able to make those mods my self. for eg, I am assminng that once I root, I will be able to simply add any apps to multiview.

Once you root the will be files that need to be moved , added, deleted. .. etc. Root access doesn't change files for you, it just gives you permission to change them. So it won't be as simple as" I have root now everything just works like I want it."

jasguild

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
You can use twrp instead of clockwork recovery.
Download this from the market
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.s0up.goomanager&token=IEcQK4le

Open it> menu button> install openrecoveryscript> wait and it will install on your phone

Then go here http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=237940
[How to] Use Custom Recoveries - Let the fun begin!

Read the part on how to install a rom it is a vzw thread but the way you flash a rom is still the same.

Once you root the will be files that need to be moved , added, deleted. .. etc. Root access doesn't change files for you, it just gives you permission to change them. So it won't be as simple as" I have root now everything just works like I want it."

Thank you so much. I have a good handle now of exactly what I am getting into now. One last parting question. What version of Clean Rom do you recommend?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much. I have a good handle now of exactly what I am getting into now. One last parting question. What version of Clean Rom do you recommend?

I have Verizon so I use the verizon specific version. You will have to ask the rest of the AT&T community on which one they like better the international version or the att specific version