Will we ever be Able to put Apps on sd Card?also what's ur opinion??

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a positive thing for 2 main reasons:

1) Pre-ICS OEM's seemed to rely on expandable storage releasing devices with internal storage as low as 150MB!
Now, since Apps can't move to SD, it forces OEM's to include a "decent" amount of internal storage.

2) Since only "real" media (pics / vids / music) can be moved to SD there's less chance to screw things up.
Can't count how many times my friends & family members with Android devices swapped SD's between devices & asked me why their game / App Data they had moved got screwed up!
Now that it can't move, hopefully it'll lessen those types of problems.

What's left is deciding the definition of a "decent" amount of internal storage.
Personally anything under 16GB shouldn't exist making 16GB the new "minimum" & hopefully 32GB will soon become the new "standard".

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
As someone else said, I started with the g1... of course in those days, apps that were 1mb were huge...

Basically, I have 279 apps on my note 2. Yes, I just counted them. I still have 4.17gb left, and I haven't cleared cache or moved downloaded files to sd yet this week... I keep media on sd, apps on phone. It's easy. If something happened to my phone, I can pop my sd card out and put it in another phone, no problem. I don't lose the pictures of my kids, fiancee, my music, or any of my important personal files.

Apps can always be downloaded again. Google play store keeps track of your purchases. In the play store, menu - my apps - slide over to all. Done.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
l think it is another way for manufacturers to widen their profit margins a little. Android OEMs are not doing nearly as well as Apple in this regard.
It works great for Apple with their 32, 64GB offerings. They are able to take in $100 for $10 more memory.
I can tell you that 16GB on the ipad 3 is just enough memory to regret a short time later so that your next purchase will be for the bigger one with a lot more profit to be made.
Apple could have very easily just made 32GB their base model. There is also plenty of room for several microSD slots to allow users to expand but they didn't. Not when there is so much profit to be made.
Google likely knows this and perhaps some OEMs have requested it. Android OEMs haven't had the luxury of thick profit margins like Apple.

Perhaps in other markets where Apple is't doing so well, Samsung is able to remove the sdcard slot and sell tiered versions to boost their profit.
Sadly I see this as a likely trend. I would not be surprised if future models removed the SDCard and start to suck more like the iPhone. Moto and others have already begun locking up the battery so a more profitable bigger battery version can be sold. Removed SDcards slots and tiered internal memory are likely next.

The Note 2 is everything that I wanted and expected in a new handheld. I really hope Samsung can continue to offer nicer products like this. I hope they are making enough profit as to not be tempted to cripple future iterations.
I will be so happy if in two years I am able to pick up something this awesome again.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Good read, understand the decision a bit more. I still think there's better ways to do this, but it's better than nothing.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind them removing external storage of they offered the phone with 64 gig internal.

Not being able to move app data to external is ridiculous. I have slacker radio, beyondpod and some games that are mega data hogs that should be allowed to store on sd.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind them removing external storage of they offered the phone with 64 gig internal.

Not being able to move app data to external is ridiculous. I have slacker radio, beyondpod and some games that are mega data hogs that should be allowed to store on sd.

Usually, apps will create their own folders, and a lot of devs are now preloading them to extsdcard, which if not available, then goes to sdcard0.

Wouldn't it be something if we took apart the iPhone and the only difference was what size sd card they had put in it :p

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps in other markets where Apple is't doing so well, Samsung is able to remove the sdcard slot and sell tiered versions to boost their profit.
Sadly I see this as a likely trend. I would not be surprised if future models removed the SDCard and start to suck more like the iPhone. Moto and others have already begun locking up the battery so a more profitable bigger battery version can be sold. Removed SDcards slots and tiered internal memory are likely next.
I also fear this happening. Our best hope is that the manufacturers pay attention to the consumers and realize there is a large group of users who will automatically eliminate a phone from consideration for future purchase because it doesn't have an SD slot and a removable battery.
Most online reviews list those as a disadvantage, and I think we've all seen people already state those two items as high among their reasons for purchasing the SGS3 or the SGN2 instead of the iphone or One-X or DNA, et al.

On my wish list for a long time has been a phone with PC/laptop-like memory slots so you could add as needed, but there's several reasons why I think we won't see that; mainly cost and space.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It was on gingerbread to start with, that's the only reason why. If it would have been sold with ics, you wouldnt

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The phones who shipped with ics or above can't is what he is saying.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You've been able to move apps to SD cards ever since FroYo. I don't understand why people are saying its just ICS and JellyBean.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding, and I could be wrong, you need to look no further than the nexus and jellybean. From all that I have read, it boils down to the operating system, the compliance with, etc.

Google had said on their nexus line they didn't want sd slots, so they wrote the os that way. I'm thinking with the need to be compliant, three oems have to respect the core os in certain ways. The only thing I can figure its that this is something Google will no longer allow: you can have an sd card slot, but you cannot install applications to it any longer.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You've been able to move apps to SD cards ever since FroYo. I don't understand why people are saying its just ICS and JellyBean.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

You can't on phones that shipped with ics. That's what we're saying.

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
No! Sounds like a solution looking for a problem ................

I don't want to root also because after its a pain to do updates.

I think it's a Google SCAM 100%. They don't want us to use the sd card for app storage because they want us to spend more money on phones with bigger storage. But when I went to Verizon they only offered the 16gb for sale. Wtf. I bet in a couple months they will offer the 64gb note2 so people that need more app storage will go out and buy it. BS SCAMMERS WANT TO MAKE MORE BILLIONS.
AGREE??
They need to fix this quick or I will become anti Google Android. And will spread this BS scam to everyone/everywhere. I wish I can smack the developers that thought of this.

They/or anyone need to come out with some hack to fix this. I would be willing to throw some money in the pot to fix this sd card useless situation.

Is everyone on the same Page with me? ?????

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

rafaelluik

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The phones who shipped with ics or above can't is what he is saying.
My point is if my phone has ICS operating system and I can move apps to SD card, so it means there's no limitation in the OS that make moving the apps to SD card impossible. It must be something else...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is not in ics, it was carried over from gingerbread. I am not sure how many other ways to say it

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i'll repeat myself ONE more time. The phones that came STOCK, OUT OF THE BOX with ICS no longer have the functionality. Sure, we may be ale to come up with a fix, but I'm not even going to bother looking into it because it does not benefit me at all. I don't need 11 GB of apps on my phone - I still have 4.5 G left and any apps i download, i'm sure i'll go through and clean out apps i no longer use (considering i probably already have 2GB of unused apps on there... also, check cache sizes every now and again....). I'm sure that it isnt necessary to NEED any more than that for app storage... use your sd for media - pics, music, videos. I have PSX roms on my SD card... no big deal. I've also increased my sd read/write speed so.... its not like its gonna kill me to have this stuff on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa