Is TouchWiz as bad as I hear?

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
It's upgrade time and I'm looking at the note 2 the s4(when it released) and maybe the DNA or X phone. I like the note and it's S pen and huge screen. The only major turnoff I'm having is TouchWiz. I see people trash talking it all the time. All my androids have been HTC or DROID so I've never used TouchWiz. What is it like? Is it good? Also, will the note fit in my average hands/pockets?

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

Cleantech

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No complaints here about it. From what I can see I prefer it over what the other manufacturers have skinned over android.

I've had the galaxy 1 and 2. My gf has the note 2 and LOVES it. She is only 5`7 and quite petite. Does it fit in her tight jeans with a case ? No lol.

I'll find a good lengthy review of the note two I saw a while back.

The s pen is amazing for jotting down notes ands a wack load of other stuff.....

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz is fine. There is not a big difference between aosp and touchwiz.
I actually prefer touchwiz on the note 2 due to the functions of s-note.
I honestly don't know what all the touchwiz hate is all about. I came from a galaxy nexus to the gs3 to the note 2. Touchwiz added in things I found missing from aosp, like a proper clock and timer suite, facebook integration to calender and contacts, and a much better camera suite.
But it is really personal taste. Touchwiz is not bad by any means, though.
I personally find touchwiz in its current form to be better than Sense or whatever Motorola is offering.
As far as fitting in your pants, I am 6ft tall and normal build. I wear Levi 501 jeans which are not loose or baggy, but not skin tight. It fits no problem. You get used to the size real fast.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I like touchwiz as well. This is my first android phone having previously been an iphone user since 2008.

The only other device I have used is a nexus 7 which uses sense. I did not like that at all! I will be purchasing a note 8 when they come out.

As far as touchwiz goes I have heard the same thing. Honestly, jellybean, project butter and the overall power of the phone can make all the difference in how a user interface functions. I prefer touchwiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Note 2 for about a month and I am still using touchwiz as my launcher I normally use apex or go launcher on my past phone which were HTC phones and I must say I like touchwiz better then sense

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz is not awful for me but I have been using Nova launcher just because I like it better.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
TouchWiz is not awful for me but I have been using Nova launcher just because I like it better.

Same here. Nova just offers you more customization is all.

Otherwise, TouchWiz is fine. The absolute best out of the 3 main OEM skins. TouchWiz >>> Sense > Motoblur

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind TouchWiz. I prefer it over Sense UI. Sense kind of deterred me from the DNA. I have used 3rd party launchers before, but TouchWiz is just fine.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear all the positive comments about TouchWiz. I'll probably be picking up a note when I get back from vacation.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear all the positive comments about TouchWiz. I'll probably be picking up a note when I get back from vacation.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

Another option is to use a third party launcher like Nova, Apex, etc. This allows additional customizations, but you retain most, if not all of the TouchWiz features as well. There may be a feature or two that you lose, but S Pen and multi view still work no problem.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Another option is to use a third party launcher like Nova, Apex, etc. This allows additional customizations, but you retain most, if not all of the TouchWiz features as well. There may be a feature or two that you lose, but S Pen and multi view still work no problem.

I use apex instead of sense currently. Does the note have dual screen and the other gimmicks of the s3? If so, us there anything I lose by continuing to use apex?

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Does the note have dual screen and the other gimmicks of the s3?

Yes, the Note has a lot of pretty awesome features, some similar to the S3, like dual view. It also has the S Pen, and a bunch of functionality that goes along with it not found on any other device.

You will not lose any of these functions if using Apex.

I suggest you check out some youtube videos of the GNote 2 so you can see for yourself what it can do. And get into a store, if you have not done so already, and get your hands on one in person, and ask if they have one you can try without the security device on it, to see how it feels when in your pocket, in your hand, etc. That's what I did, and I was sold on the spot.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is pretty fantastic. Bright, colorful, gorgeous in my opinion. I sometimes try AOSP, but I always return to stock.

I do wish, especially on a phone this size, the launcher would rotate to landscape.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I came from an iphone 4 it was different at first but I love the phone and operating system now, you will adapt quickly.