How to disable talkback completely...

Sahib Singh3

May 10, 2013
Visit site
When I go to settings and accessibility talk back shows off but when I open any folder it will still say * folder open n close* it's so annoying:mad:
What do I do m. Please help
:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
When I go to settings and accessibility talk back shows off but when I open any folder it will still say * folder open n close* it's so annoying:mad:

Go to:

System settings > accessibility > scroll down to services. If you have apps listed here, then turn them off. Did this work?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I had an app on my phone that made talkback work even if it was set to off. Can't remember the name, but the app I wanted to use allowed me to change the color of my notification lights.

Anytime that app was installed my phone would talk to me like you are describing. As soon as I took it off it stopped.

Maybe you have the same thing?

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I had an app on my phone that made talkback work even if it was set to off. Can't remember the name, but the app I wanted to use allowed me to change the color of my notification lights.

Anytime that app was installed my phone would talk to me like you are describing. As soon as I took it off it stopped.

Maybe you have the same thing?

That was light flow. Basically anything under services will enable Talkback in touch wiz. A bug that is set to be addressed in 4.2.2

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a temporary workaround until the update . You can go to the application manager and disable Samsung TTS and the Google text to speech engine.

Sent from my GT-N7100

arfyness

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Like others have stated, it's a known issue with ACCESSIBILITY services (Samsung plans to fix it in 4.2.2) From what I understand, enabling the accessibility functionality of ANY APP will incorrectly toggle Talkback to the enabled state, so that Talkback will launch after a reboot.

Here's another couple of workarounds, useful if you still use Text to Speech for other stuff.

(You gotta do this every reboot. Thanks Samsung.) Go into Accessibility settings, then even though Talkback is off, just TURN IT ON (hit back button or cancel if a window pops up). Now then TURN IT OFF again and it will actually be turned off until you reboot. For me this works to shut the thing up and remove that wonderfully ugly hand notification from the already overcrowded (and oversized) notifications.

If your phone is rooted, you can try something like Titanium Backup to "freeze" the talkback app so that it can't start at all. Careful though, that is within the realm of messing with stuff that might break other stuff. On my Verizon SCH-I535 Galaxy S3, freezing Talkback in TiBu causes it NOT TO SPEAK at least, but also removes its entry from the list in Accessibility. And that stupid hand notification is always there. You can't toggle on/off to get rid of it like in #1, of course, because it's not there to toggle. If you are rooted and don't mind always having the hand there, and are willing to take the risk of breaking other stuff, sure go for it.

Last edited:

farkomeister

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
The hand can be made to disappear for good. After restarting the device, the hand was showing up (I have 2 apps that require accessibility). I re-enabled and then disabled talkback in accessibility. The hand disappeared. Then, I used Titanium Backup to uninstall Talkback, Samsung TTS and Google tts (after creating backups).

Now all talkback features are disabled. The hand shows up occassionally post-startup but promptly goes away.

UPDATE: On the last restart, the hand did not disappear. I long-clicked it which gave me App info leading to Settings. Force closing this makes the hand go away. I have changed some settings but the hand has not shown up yet.

What a stupid bug!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks! Has anyone simply disabled Talkback under Settings/Apps/All? Just select it and Disable it. It shouldn't cause any problems afterwards.

Posted via Android Central App

ilhnsg

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey EveryBody :) If you use Pop-Up Free App, you must unistall from Device. Because then this app running, talkback will start automaticly ;)

davebrill

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Response #10 was very helpful (thanks). In my case the problem was caused by the Dashlane password manager. I made the mistake of enabling their "Dashlane keyboard" and that changed an accessibility setting.

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. But I can't disable talk back. I enabled it to see what it was. But now wan't it off. But I can't disable it. When I got to settings I get a yellow box around what ever I click. I have to tap twice to get into a menu like wifi or bluetooth. But I can't scroll up and down. I get a yellow box border around the whole thing and can't scroll up and down. So I can't get the the accessability menu to disable it.

louis gouldsbrough

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

You use two fingers for everything to fix it. Make sure they are next to each other and it should work but I'm not sure about newer versions of android.

Last edited:

Rahul Suresh1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
when you unlock the phone at the down part where the light glows left side of home click that fastly two times.then go to settings and scroll with two fingers.thats all

Anthony Saber

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

Hi sahib I have the same probleme but I have known the probleme isn't talk back it is text to speech output the solution is to root your phone than install bloatware remover and find google text to speech and remove it

Morpheous Poqpa

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
To scroll down to accessibility, dont forget to use two fingers and scroll up...one finger doesnt do the trick. Also double tab each time u want to make a selection...That worked wonders, no need to reboot or reformat phone.