Galaxy Note 2: Headphones problem - filled with static

Yaseen Al-Khattab

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Headphones problem - filled with static

I paid $300 forwwithrhone and I love everything except the headphone sound is just a static version of whatever I'm listening to.
The seller told me there's zero problems with the phone, and I'm going to keep it. - or more accurately, he's not taking it back. But that's not the point of my post.

I've tried several things to remedy the problem over the last week:
1. Tried 4 different headphones, same problem.
2. Cleaned out the jack with a moistened toothpick.
3. Ordered a new jack, watched youtube, installed new jack assembly. Same issue.
4. Altered audio settings: balance, surround/stereo, etc.

The internal speaker works fine. Actually everything works fine except the headphones. I'm just worried that because the headphone jack itself wasn't the problem, and the jack plugs into the motherboard, that the motherboard is damaged. The phone has obviously been dropped at least once, and maybe some water damage. I really can live without the headphones. I have a bluetooth earpiece for talking and driving. But what I really am missing is a way to play music in my truck.

So here are my questions for y'all:
1. Is there another route I can take to fix this apparent hardware problem?
2. Are there any known software issues that might provide a fix?
3. Should I abandon my efforts and focus on BT (bluetooth) alternatives for my truck?

Thanks! Love the phone, really loving android after 6 years of iPhone experience.

-Kevin

I cannot believe hitting it on the back with your knee works! But it did!

PedalPowerMove

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I just want to thank everybody for the posts & suggestions. I just got a deal on a Note 2 - transferred all my photos, music...everything - then I went to listen and nothing but static!! I was crushed - but the push the jack all the way in & slam it on my knee worked!!

Thank you!!

dave Na

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

thanks for all the input here. I have never had a problem with my headphone jack in about a year of use...rebooted, pulled battery, blew out headphone jack and this didn't fix my problem. I was all of a sudden getting buzz and static and no music coming from two different pairs of headphones that were working fine on my computer. I smacked the back of my phone with my hand while the music was playing, headphones on and all of a sudden the music just started playing normal....what the hell ever I guess

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Great thread and troubleshooting/tips shared. Might make for a good sticky :)

- - - Updated - - -

Good call on this. Mine started doing it today. Could only hear muffled static. I have headphone plug that bend 90 degrees. I just hit the top part against the table and it started working fine again.

Avatar photo from San Jose, Costa Rica?

jigawattsa

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

WOW. Bagging the jack area against my knee worked!! This thread saved me tons of time and money I was going to spend on all types of stuff. +1 internet!

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

The connectors in the headphone jack need to be pushed back in

)(
)(

Is sort of what they look like
When bent out of place by a larger jack or bent jack they will no longer connect and need to be pushed/bent back into normal position.

[Violence & technology, not good bedfellows]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

BaconSoyLatte

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

You're telling me. I just spent the evening replacing the headphone jack which didn't work. Just static and no input. Sharp smack against my knee. Problem fixed.

I got this galaxy note 2 used for a bargain because the headphone didn't work and I was so heartbroken when replacing the jack didn't work. Until now that is.

Thank God for folks sharing their experiences on the internet. :cool:

misha97

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I hit the back and it worked too!!! It's weird but it worked!!! Wow.
Hitting TV when it does not work properly used to solve problem in 1980 and 1990s but I didn't think the same action works these days.
Wow I'm blown away! :)

is250sp

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OMG I am so glad I found this thread because been having the same issue for the past couple of months. Just a few smacks on my palm and it works! I shall call this "The Fonz Fix" lol.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
OMG I am so glad I found this thread because been having the same issue for the past couple of months. Just a few smacks on my palm and it works! I shall call this "The Fonz Fix" lol.

Yea smack them electronics. Beat them into submission lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

kohakuslayer

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue on my note 2 today and guess what? THE BANG OF THE KNEE WORKED! Wow thank you so much for whoever came up with this genius idea...still can't believe it.

jdeshler

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
This is humorous because I have been squeezing and tapping my phone for months now with no true fix for the sound.. my note 2 cuts out and fills the music with static with all different headphones, audio plugs and even a new headphone jack!? Anyways, a slight pinch around the headphone area clears it up every time.. I have been in my phone 6-7 times looking for the obvious to no avail!!! There has to be a simple grounding issue here guys! Lets nail this asinine issue before we naw our teeth to nubs and start cursing this AMAZING PHONE lol..

jdeshler

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
After my earlier rant I opened my phone and have managed to fixed my knee smacking problem. The problem was a bad ground between the screen and motherboard. I have added a picture of the two metal surfaces I cleaned (circled in yellow) to get the good connection back. These are not pics of my phone because it was apart obviously but it is the same phone. My sound is 100% crystal clear:cool: I believe the problem comes with dropping the phone and the connection going bad due to lack of enough screws in the area of the connection. I also ran the screw directly into the motherboard instead of through the plastic backing in the same area I circled. Stop smacking you're phones!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140227_134936.jpg
    IMG_20140227_134936.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

xmillerx

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
FANTASIC!!!! and 100% correct...fixed my phone in 2 min.took the back off the phone and noticed a screw missing from the hole you have circled...took the screw off the bottom corner and put it in the ground hole and my phone works perfect again. thanks for the info and your right....STOP SMACKING YOUR PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-$

scorpio_2482

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I am having the exact same issue with my phone. I opened my phone and tried cleaning this area with rubbing alcohol and connected the screw straight into the motherboard. However I am still having the issue. I noticed that putting pressure in that area once the phone is all buttoned up again I can get it to reconnect but it takes some time and it goes out again if the phone is moved (in my car or pocket or something). Is there something else I should have used to clean the connection. Or maybe something I can use to improve that connection.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!

scorpio_2482

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
After my earlier rant I opened my phone and have managed to fixed my knee smacking problem. The problem was a bad ground between the screen and motherboard. I have added a picture of the two metal surfaces I cleaned (circled in yellow) to get the good connection back. These are not pics of my phone because it was apart obviously but it is the same phone. My sound is 100% crystal clear:cool: I believe the problem comes with dropping the phone and the connection going bad due to lack of enough screws in the area of the connection. I also ran the screw directly into the motherboard instead of through the plastic backing in the same area I circled. Stop smacking you're phones!!

Thanks for posting this. I am having the exact same issue with my phone. I opened my phone and tried cleaning this area with rubbing alcohol and connected the screw straight into the motherboard. However I am still having the issue. I noticed that putting pressure in that area once the phone is all buttoned up again I can get it to reconnect but it takes some time and it goes out again if the phone is moved (in my car or pocket or something). Is there something else I should have used to clean the connection. Or maybe something I can use to improve that connection.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!

StarkillerFIN

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Not answering to anybody but I just want to remind that equalizer apps and dirty headphone plugs can make some unwanted noises.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non