Phone Insurance

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok who is getting phone insurance and through which program? Cost of replacing the Note 20 makes insurance a must in my household esp as rough as my husband is wirh his phone.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Although I buy unlocked through Samsung, I insure through my carrier, AT&T. Samsung doesn't cover loss/theft, but AT&T does. I think it's between $8-11/mo.

ladiinay

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok who is getting phone insurance and through which program? Cost of replacing the Note 20 makes insurance a must in my household esp as rough as my husband is wirh his phone.
Verizon. Pre ordered through Verizon and got the insurance

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I do the same thing as Katrina, but on Verizon; Ordered unlocked from Samsung, insurance fron VZW since it includes loss and theft.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I researched other insurance options for my Note 10, including Square Trade and another company that I can't remember the name of, though I think I can find it. I had planned on going with that company but didn't end up with any insurance. Both of these companies allow you to add coverage at any time and were cheaper than Samsung.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I do the same thing as Katrina, but on Verizon; Ordered unlocked from Samsung, insurance fron VZW since it includes loss and theft.
I didn't think you could buy insurance thru Verizon for a unlocked phone. I bought a Verizon branded phone thru Samsung awhile back, think S10+, has a warranty issue and Verizon passed me over to Samsung. They said warranty claims for phones thru Samsung, Samsung has to handle that. I just assumed that was for the insurance also

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think you could buy insurance thru Verizon for a unlocked phone. I bought a Verizon branded phone thru Samsung awhile back, think S10+, has a warranty issue and Verizon passed me over to Samsung. They said warranty claims for phones thru Samsung, Samsung has to handle that. I just assumed that was for the insurance also

I spoke to 2 VZW reps, and each told me that I could keep my total equipment coverage through them even though I am purchasing unlocked from Samsung. I have the $45/mo. Plan that covers all of my lines (4 in my case)
The rep assured me that my coverage would remain in place. If I didn't already have that plan, I was told that I could add coverage within 30 days of adding the new phone...

I assume the program makes too much money for them to justify prohibiting many customers from using it.

I would recommend calling them (maybe 2 times like I did to be sure) if you need reassurance (*611)

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I have samsung insurance and then i use just replacement insurance for loss/theft through sprint which is like $2 a month.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to 2 VZW reps, and each told me that I could keep my total equipment coverage through them even though I am purchasing unlocked from Samsung. I have the $45/mo. Plan that covers all of my lines (4 in my case)
The rep assured me that my coverage would remain in place. If I didn't already have that plan, I was told that I could add coverage within 30 days of adding the new phone...

I assume the program makes too much money for them to justify prohibiting many customers from using it.

I would recommend calling them (maybe 2 times like I did to be sure) if you need reassurance (*611)
I usually call 3 or more times. Lol

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Automatically covered with my bank account.

Only thing is a historical limit of 7". So still get something else sorted if i get the fold 2.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently received an email from my Chevron/Texaco VISA card that said if I paid my bills through my credit card, they would provide protection from damage or theft for free with a $50 deductible. I haven't had time to research the coverage, but it certainly sounds good given I have three phone's on my plan and the other two phones' users are fairly careless with their phones. I replaced an iPhone 11 pro max for one of them a couple of months ago. Luckily it had the protection package through TMobile, but there was a $100 deductible and I'm paying for the insurance on that phone. Might be worthwhile to switch to using the program under the card if it's robust enough.

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for mentioning about the ability to purchase your ins. through the carrier... thought you had to get the Ins from where you purchased phone. That's very helpful since some plans offer better coverage for loss, screen issues etc.. 👍

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
I currently have a 2 year plan with SquareTrade which I purchased back when the Note 9 came out so unfortunately it expires next month. I just contacted SquareTrade about extending my warranty and they said they no longer offer 2 year plans, which is a huge bummer. I paid $129 for 2 years and it would be a $99 deduct if something happened. SquareTrade's new system is $8.99/month with a $149 deduct.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a 2 year plan with SquareTrade which I purchased back when the Note 9 came out so unfortunately it expires next month. I just contacted SquareTrade about extending my warranty and they said they no longer offer 2 year plans, which is a huge bummer. I paid $129 for 2 years and it would be a $99 deduct if something happened. SquareTrade's new system is $8.99/month with a $149 deduct.
This is what I do. Too many kids in my household and although haven't used it in a while, $9/mo plus deductible ain't bad for a replacement on a leased phone.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
This is what I do. Too many kids in my household and although haven't used it in a while, $9/mo plus deductible ain't bad for a replacement on a leased phone.

Yeah it's not a bad deal, I just wish I could pay for a year or two at one time instead of paying monthly.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I've never had insurance on any cell phones, roughly 20 years. Five kids and a wife, I've replaced 2 iPhone screens out of pocket for less than $400 combined. I'd say I am way ahead. Good cases, screen protectors and I bit of luck. Never had one lost or stolen either.

*knocks on wood*

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've never had insurance on any cell phones, roughly 20 years. Five kids and a wife, I've replaced 2 iPhone screens out of pocket for less than $400 combined. I'd say I am way ahead. Good cases, screen protectors and I bit of luck. Never had one lost or stolen either.

*knocks on wood*
I've had car insurance for 25 years, wife and 2 teenagers, not one accident or claim. Starting to think I can drop my insurance...

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I used to forgo insurance until I actually needed it... so I go with the Samsung coverage as I like the convenience of being able to go to a Samsung location for repair work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch