having trouble with N20U bootloader

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I was about to use Odin to flash the ATI1 firmware on my N20U (US unlocked), but I ran into a problem. When I reboot to the bootloader, instead of connecting to Odin and showing the familiar download screen, the phone shows a bootloader screen that lets me cycle through several options including Start, Restart Bootloader, Recovery, and Power Off, plus a few others. However, no matter which option I've cycled to, when I press the power button to select the option, nothing happens. The only way I can get out of the bootloader at all is to hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for several seconds, forcing the phone to reboot again.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was about to use Odin to flash the ATI1 firmware on my N20U (US unlocked), but I ran into a problem. When I reboot to the bootloader, instead of connecting to Odin and showing the familiar download screen, the phone shows a bootloader screen that lets me cycle through several options including Start, Restart Bootloader, Recovery, and Power Off, plus a few others. However, no matter which option I've cycled to, when I press the power button to select the option, nothing happens. The only way I can get out of the bootloader at all is to hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for several seconds, forcing the phone to reboot again.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?
Go into the firmware thread stickied at the top. Mustang helped me with this very same issue. Apparently Samsung switched the process on the n20.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Go into the firmware thread stickied at the top. Mustang helped me with this very same issue. Apparently Samsung switched the process on the n20.
Thanks! I'd already discovered the Power+VolumeDown combination to get unstuck, and then I used Ruben's suggestion from the stickied thread to use Power+VolumeDown+VolumeUp from the powered-off state to boot directly into download mode. (Then it connected to Odin as usual.)