Question...probably a stupid one but...

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
My Note 20u is an AT&T model although it came from Samsung. AT&T always seems to put a sticker on the middle of the back of their phones that have IMEI 1, IMEI 2, another bar code with a 6 digit number, and an SKU number. My question is does this info on the phone pose a security risk in any way? I left the sticker on my Note 9 but it was always covered so didn't think much about it. Now I see people here posting screenshots but have the IMEI number on their phones blacked out. That got my old brain wondering if it is a risk and I just didn't realize it. If it is I will need to come up with a method of removing the sticker w/o damaging the phone.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Imei numbers can be cloned and it can cause problems so I wouldn't be putting them up on a public website.
Is the sticker not easy to remove and put on a piece of cardboard inside the box?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had those stickers in the past and used a case. If you're going to do the same, no worries. If you plan on going nekkid, I'd remove the sticker and put it on the inside box lid.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had those stickers in the past and used a case. If you're going to do the same, no worries. If you plan on going nekkid, I'd remove the sticker and put it on the inside box lid.

In all honesty, I wouldn't risk it and take the stickers off. Any chance of your IMEI being exposed is a risk. I used to work for AT&T Wireless and some of the scary things I have seen with IMEI cloning is no joke. Remove the stickers. If you need to get to your IMEI for support, they will either give you the dialer code to get it (Dial *#06#) or you can get it in the OS Settings menu.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd remove and save the sticker, but I doubt it matters much. My unlocked N20U has no sticker, but the IMEI is printed on the phone itself, under the rear glass.

20200819_194640.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd remove and save the sticker, but I doubt it matters much. My unlocked N20U has no sticker, but the IMEI is printed on the phone itself, under the rear glass.

View attachment 326544

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa