Can't Install Update - messed with rooting and don't know how to fix :(

schnebbles

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
A while back I tried rooting my note 3. Not sure if I accomplished it, but I think I had. Ran an app and it said it was rooted. Couldn't install update so I tried using superSU to unroot. Brought me to a lock screen/failure and I figured out how to at least get the phone working again (thanks to these forums, not verizon, lo! they had no clue) - I hit power, volume down, home button and cancel to restart phone.

Tried my update and it didn't work, got that lock screen again.

What to do to get my update? I'm not so technical so detailed instructions would be helpful. I wish I hadn't messed with it to begin with. I know I used towel root and the superSU - all are uninstalled on my phone.

It drives me wacky with the update screen constantly popping up!

thanks for any help, for now I'm glad I didn't have to file a claim on a "lost Phone" which was what I was advised to do! at least it works

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Your profile says you have been on Mobile Nations a while, but this seems to be your first post on AC, so Welcome!

When you rooted, that triggered a few flags that the update file looks for when trying to install. You didn't do anything wrong, this is the caveat of rooting; you can't accept/install OS updates.

You can reflash the stock ROM with a PC program called Odin. Files can be found on Samsung updates or sammobile.

Look this over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

schnebbles

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Fortunately I've never needed to post!

I'll read thru that tomorrow, I've heard of Odin but today when I was messing with it I got confused and just thought I'd unroot and be done. Apparently that's not so easy. Thank you! I'll post if I figure it out.

speedspeed

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am maybe wrong
but with lockscreen you mean after you update and reboot

if that's the case did you deactivated the reactivation lock?

schnebbles

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Ok, this is making me mad. I have a mac and apparently odin is for windows. I got Kies re-installed b/c it wasn't working. Then went to find Odin and I can't find anything. now what?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
First...sorry about any silence. Since I posted I haven't had much of a chance to go through my post history for follow ups. Let me read the thread...

From an AOSP M8

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK. Copies of the stock ROM can be found on Samsung updates or sammobile.

Is there a way you can borrow a Windows PC from a friend?

From an AOSP M8

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is making me mad. I have a mac and apparently odin is for windows. I got Kies re-installed b/c it wasn't working. Then went to find Odin and I can't find anything. now what?
For future reference, quoting people can sometimes get their attention faster. Me for example, I am split between mobile and desktop. I won't get a notification via mobile, but when I log into the desktop site, it will show me any quotes, likes and thanks people may have given me. In many cases, this can get ones attention much faster.

From an AOSP M8

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will try my husbands tomorrow. I hate it lol! Will I need to put kies on it too?
Kies is similar to iTunes. Great for backing up some stuff from your Samsung device, kinda meh for restoring a ROM.

Which version of windows is it? Windows 8 is very picky and can be downright stubborn for drivers and such.

From an AOSP M8

schnebbles

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
First get your drivers ready. They can be downloaded from Samsung website. Install them after downloading.

ok, I got that all done. Ran odin and got the firmware encountered an issue. Can't get the software repair assistant, Keis won't work b/c it's not reading my phone. Odin won't do anything more b/c it says it's not reading the phone. Now I can't use the stupid phone and I can't get anything to connect to it. I've tried everything I've found online. Been working on this for 7 hours probably... I've tried downloading drivers, etc.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, I got that all done. Ran odin and got the firmware encountered an issue. Can't get the software repair assistant, Keis won't work b/c it's not reading my phone. Odin won't do anything more b/c it says it's not reading the phone. Now I can't use the stupid phone and I can't get anything to connect to it. I've tried everything I've found online. Been working on this for 7 hours probably... I've tried downloading drivers, etc.

Have you tried different cables and USB ports?

schnebbles

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried different cables and USB ports?

it won't read on my mac or the pc. and, yep, tried a different cable. not a different port but I doubt that's it since it's both computers. I'm guessing tonight I go buy a new phone and sell this one on ebay b/c I'm sure some tech person can get it working. I'm going to try again today.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
it won't read on my mac or the pc. and, yep, tried a different cable. not a different port but I doubt that's it since it's both computers. I'm guessing tonight I go buy a new phone and sell this one on ebay b/c I'm sure some tech person can get it working. I'm going to try again today.

Sorry it didn't work out. This is really kind of rare for Odin.