Galaxy Note 3 drains battery faster than space shuttle burned fuel

JoelAndoetoe

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have been a reader on this forum ever since I got my first Android device a couple of years ago, but only now actually need to ask an unasked question.
I have had the Galaxy Note 3 for 10 days now, and already travelled with it extensively. It worked just great the first few days, and I attributed a higher than normal battery drain to 3G roaming abroad.

However, I have been back home for a few days now, and my battery litterally drains while you stare at a blank screen. Latest: it takes 3-4 hours to drain an entire, fully charged battery, with minimal use and just some background syncing (Exchange and GMail push). I have rooted the device, and Better Battery Stats shows alerts that the device is awake 100% of the time while the screen is turned off. It also shows WIFI ON at 100%, whilst JuiceDefender actually disables data connectivity (incl. WIFI) as soon as the screen turns off. Another stat at 100% is power management...

I checked my apps: nothing rogue. I have aprox. 300 apps, so too many too uninstall 1 by 1 and monitor - it would take days, if not weeks.
Reading up on similar issues with the Note 2 and S4, I decided to do a factory reset. Right now, it is restoring my apps from my Google account, and in just under 40 minutes, the battery has already lost another whooping 42%.

GPS and BT are disabled, as are all the fancy sensors that make the Note 3 so cool. No Airview, nothing. WIFI is on.
What could possibly be wrong? I am at total loss...

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

You may want to post a screen shot of your battery useage as well as download an app called Gsam which can tell you what's eating your battery.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like a defective phone. If you have a 14-day window with your purchase, then you should probably utilize the option to get a new phone.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
While doing major installation, I was losing battery pretty fast too. But not 42% in 40 minutes, more like 20% in 60 minutes. Something is rogue/not right.

I'd probably start with droid wall and only allow out the few apps you really need to have internet access.

Also check google services for batter and wifi use. There have a been a few bugs related to this recently, though mostly with google trying to update ROMMED devices that shouldn't update through google. I had that experience on my Galaxy Nexus.

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I would do a Factory Reset & run your phone with no apps, stock & see what kind of battery performance you get...... That would be a starting point.

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I would do a Factory Reset & run your phone with no apps, stock & see what kind of battery performance you get...... That would be a starting point.

i would do this, and maybe a new battery....this happened to me on an old phone, new battery solved it...

AcemanX AcemanX

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
yea man something sounds way wrong, I did 4 different tests in 4 days to see the battery, in:

day 1 i just had it on a normal background on auto brightness and it lasted like 12 hours with 30 to 40 % left at the end of my work day, and the screen timer said something like 4 to 5 hours on time
day 2: i decided to put a live wallpaper, keep settings the same, sync was on and everything, just had brightness set to auto, no root btw, and yea it ate up my battery after12 hours i barely had 25%
day 3: normal wallpaper, this time i enabled power saving mode, and omfg it was after 12 hours at 60% i couldnt believe it
day 4: live wallpaper with powersaving mode, after 12 hours i was down to 35, that live wallpaper eats it man but that powersaving rocks

Anyways If i wanted to i could stretch 24 hours with this badboy if i tweak the settings, therers tons of settings to increase battery life, theres the adaptive screen option, the one that reads the image and compensates on the brightness, power saving mode, i love this phone i was so suprised to read your post I had to put in my 2 cents, you probably have a faulty battery, try auto brightness and powersaving, they help alot (or a new battery)

ttexxan

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Something wrong with yours buddy. Mine last all day with HEAVY use. Left house at 730 am yesterday morning used all day and still had 28% the next morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have been a reader on this forum ever since I got my first Android device a couple of years ago, but only now actually need to ask an unasked question.
I have had the Galaxy Note 3 for 10 days now, and already travelled with it extensively. It worked just great the first few days, and I attributed a higher than normal battery drain to 3G roaming abroad.

However, I have been back home for a few days now, and my battery litterally drains while you stare at a blank screen. Latest: it takes 3-4 hours to drain an entire, fully charged battery, with minimal use and just some background syncing (Exchange and GMail push). I have rooted the device, and Better Battery Stats shows alerts that the device is awake 100% of the time while the screen is turned off. It also shows WIFI ON at 100%, whilst JuiceDefender actually disables data connectivity (incl. WIFI) as soon as the screen turns off. Another stat at 100% is power management...

I checked my apps: nothing rogue. I have aprox. 300 apps, so too many too uninstall 1 by 1 and monitor - it would take days, if not weeks.
Reading up on similar issues with the Note 2 and S4, I decided to do a factory reset. Right now, it is restoring my apps from my Google account, and in just under 40 minutes, the battery has already lost another whooping 42%.

GPS and BT are disabled, as are all the fancy sensors that make the Note 3 so cool. No Airview, nothing. WIFI is on.
What could possibly be wrong? I am at total loss...

Thanks for any help you could provide.

if you have 300 apps installed you can rest assured you have a bad app no question about it .
HELL i doubt there is 300 apps in the entire play store that doesnt have a bug somewhere.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Somethings is very wrong. I stream sirus/xm 8 hours straight everyday along with other use and after the 8 hours I still always have over 65 percent left. Battersea is great. My note 2 I always needed a fresh battery by 2

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
yea man something sounds way wrong, I did 4 different tests in 4 days to see the battery, in:

day 1 i just had it on a normal background on auto brightness and it lasted like 12 hours with 30 to 40 % left at the end of my work day, and the screen timer said something like 4 to 5 hours on time
day 2: i decided to put a live wallpaper, keep settings the same, sync was on and everything, just had brightness set to auto, no root btw, and yea it ate up my battery after12 hours i barely had 25%
day 3: normal wallpaper, this time i enabled power saving mode, and omfg it was after 12 hours at 60% i couldnt believe it
day 4: live wallpaper with powersaving mode, after 12 hours i was down to 35, that live wallpaper eats it man but that powersaving rocks

Anyways If i wanted to i could stretch 24 hours with this badboy if i tweak the settings, therers tons of settings to increase battery life, theres the adaptive screen option, the one that reads the image and compensates on the brightness, power saving mode, i love this phone i was so suprised to read your post I had to put in my 2 cents, you probably have a faulty battery, try auto brightness and powersaving, they help alot (or a new battery)
I really appreciate your posting the battery usage with live wallpapers. I tried one on my first note and you could literally watch the battery drop. I looked at a few for the 3 and just figured I'd skip it but now that you showed me it won't kill my battery, I'm off to explore them with delight! Thanks!

JoelAndoetoe

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for your inputs sofar. After I did the factory reset and my apps were reinstalled, it seems battery life stabilized a little - problem is I de idea to let it unload overnight, but was so tired I forgot the starting percentage :)

If it keeps dropping like mad, I will factory reset again and only install the bare essential apps as some of you gave suggested.

A new battery would potentially be the next step. Will keep you posted on developments.

Joel

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for your inputs sofar. After I did the factory reset and my apps were reinstalled, it seems battery life stabilized a little - problem is I de idea to let it unload overnight, but was so tired I forgot the starting percentage :)

If it keeps dropping like mad, I will factory reset again and only install the bare essential apps as some of you gave suggested.

A new battery would potentially be the next step. Will keep you posted on developments.

Joel
whenever i upgraded from the note2 i just let google restore my apps from the old phone . i didnt have any battery problems but i did have a bunch of issues with bluetooth and a couple other bugs. i did a factory reset and manually downloaded just the apps i needed and magically my phone works perfect now.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a defective phone. If you have a 14-day window with your purchase, then you should probably utilize the option to get a new phone.

No it does NOT sound like a defective phone... it sounds like there's some renegade app causing the phone to be awake all the time.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You may want to post a screen shot of your battery useage as well as download an app called Gsam which can tell you what's eating your battery.

I've temporarily uninstalled GSAM. It seems to have some 4.3 issue. It was reporting some number in the million hours of battery hours left, and the usage report was giving some strange results.

I seem to be getting better battery life since I got rid of it.

JoelAndoetoe

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
OK folks, this is just too weird to not share. I didn't do the factory reset a second time yet, and here's why:

I was at a dinner party tonight where the music required some serious retuning. I installed the Airplay app so I could connect to th hosts' sound system. My battery had been dropping steadily, but once I installed the app... Boom. It stayed steady on and on. It's 4 hours later now, and I've only lost 8 percent of battery, with semi-constant Airplay and regular usage. This is just plainly weird.

Will see tomorrow.

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Huh, installing airplay fixed your problem? That's most odd for sure. Maybe it did some overriding on another app to properly turn on and off some functions in the phone.