Root or Not Root?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
TouchWiz? What's it? :) wanna tell that only way to change launcher is root? Hm. I saw TW only after first boot up.

Exactly. We all are individuals and everybody needs something different to happiness. I just would to know why is your phone better than mine or what you can do with your phone what I can't and how do you use that "root features " in usually day... It's really so helpful?

Sent from SM-N9005

No, you can change the launcher without root, but that changes only the launcher and app drawer. The quick toggles, status bar, notification center and settings menu is still the usual TouchWiz one. And TouchWiz is still a RAM hog, and the phone isn't nearly as smooth as it should be.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

tee86

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No, you can change the launcher without root, but that changes only the launcher and app drawer. The quick toggles, status bar, notification center and settings menu is still the usual TouchWiz one. And TouchWiz is still a RAM hog, and the phone isn't nearly as smooth as it should be.

Don't know?mine running nice and smooth. OK, you're right if you need other settings menu to live a peaceful life ;-) root is your option. I don't care about it. For me it's important that I can rely up on my Note in my business. when I'm bored I can play anything I want, I can watch fullHD movies, use camera, browse the internet?I can use it all the day and still have 40% of battery. no lags no problems

Sent from SM-N9005

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
TouchWiz? What's it? :) wanna tell that only way to change launcher is root? Hm. I saw TW only after first boot up.

Exactly. We all are individuals and everybody needs something different to happiness. I just would to know why is your phone better than mine or what you can do with your phone what I can't and how do you use that "root features " in usually day... It's really so helpful?

Sent from SM-N9005

Access system files, ROMs, unlimited tethering, icon modifications (kind of falls into system files), freeze other things with Titanium Backup that I don't want running.

Just a few of the things I like :).

Also you're taking this all the wrong way.. We aren't saying our phone is better for it versus your phone.. It isn't.. It's just better for what I like to do..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

snc0921

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Lol, it sounds like "be or not to be " question :) and for this question is difficult answer too. I think that there's no reason to root. There will be official 4. 4. 2 update so why being hurry? If you'll root it what you'll have? Better Note? I don't think so. Just battery drain issues, warranty lost... I think that Note 3 is the perfect phone and there is no need to root! Yes I rooted my Evo 3D 2 years ago but it has got 768 MB RAM so I replaced stock ROM with ROM with better RAM management. It was root for a reason but here I see no reason. This phone is fast and stable... why to change it?

Sent from SM-N9005

I rooted only so that I can have the "Record" button on my call screen. If I want to record my calls I will. Why does that option have to be kept from us??

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I rooted only so that I can have the "Record" button on my call screen. If I want to record my calls I will. Why does that option have to be kept from us??

Maybe because you're recording a conversation with someone else? It's not just up to you if the phone call should be recorded

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The main reason to root for me has always been Titanium Backup. I'm going to wait for KitKat (here in the UK) and will root when it's been installed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because you're recording a conversation with someone else? It's not just up to you if the phone call should be recorded

Depends on the state usually. Some states only have to have one party know (yourself) to record it.

I'd guess Samsung doesn't put it in since you can't really control the phone per state on what it has.

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the point was root or not and i'm clear that depends of what you want, I came from the Iphone and I used to jailbreak it all the time and get Cydia.

I was wonder if was the same with rooting the phone. If thats the case what is cydia in android or what IMPORTANT apps you can use been rooted?

[edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the point was root or not and i'm clear that depends of what you want, I came from the Iphone and I used to jailbreak it all the time and get cydia and get apps for free, I was wonder if was the same with rooting the phone. If thats the case what is cydia in android or what IMPORTANT apps you can use been rooted?

Discussions about pirating apps is against forum rules and is also illegal to do.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please do not discuss pirating paid apps or content. Posts on this subject will be deleted and may result in a ban from the forums.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lets forget about the apps, dont freak out please, just tell me what is so good about rooting?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

cyberrico

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing special about rooting your device. Not for the Note 3 really. It's really for people who want to get deep into tweaking their device and want to get that feeling that they have TOTAL control over it. I've rooted all of my previous Droids but that's because they were so terrible I needed to root them to get decent performance out of them. Froyo and Gingerbread MetroPCS devices.

You don't need it for the Note 3 the battery and processor are crazy good. You won't improve your performance. Just do it if you really want to have total control.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
In terms of performance then no its not really required on the Note 3 other than to remove Samsung Apps. But for those that like to tinker around and have a bit of enjoyment in changing the overall look then Yeh it's great. I like having root so I can easy backup stuff and Yeh if I get bored completely change the look.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1393715714920.jpg
    1393715714920.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 1393715856253.jpg
    1393715856253.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1393715927501.jpg
    1393715927501.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Lets forget about the apps, dont freak out please, just tell me what is so good about rooting?

You get a lot more control over your phone, with the ability to customize almost everything.
You can delete bloatware, freeze apps you don't use to save battery, and backup app data. You can also make complete system backups.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's what im talking about, what kind of modifications you can do being rooted ,)

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
That's what im talking about, what kind of modifications you can do being rooted ,)

It basically opens up your phone so you can tweak almost anything although some things are better left untouched unless you really know what your doing.

But basic tweaks and customisations you can explore to your hearts content ;-)

Must give credit to the developers that are providing us with some great roms ;-)

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I just did this to my phone. Can only be done with Xposed framework, or custom ROMs 😀

Attachments

• 1393820102811.jpg
    1393820102811.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 21

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just did this to my phone. Can only be done with Xposed framework, or custom ROMs 😀

I like the red and black look!