Verizon Note 3: I need help turning off automatic OS updates

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Bear in mind that I am completely tech inept, so I will need step by step directions on this:
How do I turn off automatic updates for apps and for software in my Verizon Note 3?
I really do not want to wake up one morning and find that KitKat has taken over and paralyzed my phone, I mean kitkat is great on my Note Pro but it came with it right out of the box, and I'm perfectly happy with my phone on Jellybean.
And... I'd rather not have to root, if that's possible.
So... how do I turn off automatic updates for apps and software?

Last edited by a moderator:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: I need help

Yes that's been happening to me when I thought I did not allow that, so you helped me look for it when I saw this. It's in Play Store under 'settings'.
There are options in App Info to disable notifications on each app, but I don't think it's the same.
I got KK 3-4 weeks ago and I found it had reset all options in Google sync, some that I had turned off, so it must reset your Play Store settings as well. Sneaky!

2erumyju.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

What your looking for is this?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/06/be4ageqy.jpg

It isn't an option for my note 3 on T-Mobile

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

('fraid not. That's for auto checking for OTA firmware updates, on WiFi if selected. Member and I wanted to stop some apps updating themselves.)

**No, I stand corrected. Worried about software and KK as well.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Bear in mind that I am completely tech inept, so I will need step by step directions on this:
How do I turn off automatic updates for apps and for software in my Verizon Note 3?
I really do not want to wake up one morning and find that KitKat has taken over and paralyzed my phone, I mean kitkat is great on my Note Pro but it came with it right out of the box, and I'm perfectly happy with my phone on Jellybean.
And... I'd rather not have to root, if that's possible.
So... how do I turn off automatic updates for apps and software?

'fraid not. That's for auto checking for OTA firmware updates, on WiFi if selected. Member and I wanted to stop some apps updating themselves.
How's that horrendous battery working for you now?

Horrendous battery?

Plus he asked for it to kept upgrade to Android 4.4 which Google play store option won't stop

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You're both right. The OP was primarily asking about turning off automatic system updates, but also asked about automatic app updates as well.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Really bad connection here on my end. You were correct, I only read part of the OP that pertained to me. My bad. Had to write this again with a new signal. Didn't you have a thread where you were going to do a 14 day exchange because of KK battery issues. Never mind though I can't respond for a while. OP try that too. :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Really bad connection here on my end. You were correct, I only read part of the OP that pertained to me. My bad. Had to write this again with a new signal. Didn't you have a thread where you were going to do a 14 day exchange because of KK battery issues. Never mind though I can't respond for a while. OP try that too. :)

I was thinking of it and after reseting my battery and after waiting I found the battery to be back to normal

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

How to do which? Automatic app updates or automatic system updates? The former is in the Play Store app settings, as demonstrated above.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

@closingracer had to put a screenshot from another device as this option is restricted by T-Mobile on the Note 3.
And I have no idea how to get screenshots load at a standard size on Tapatalk!

udygu2yv.jpg
a9uqequz.jpg
du3ubeny.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

For stopping the update to 4.4.2? You can't on the note 3 for t-mobile . That was on my tablet the note 10.1 2014

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I have not been clear on this in the past. I read some say unticking the software update boxes doesn't work ,or only on some models. Some decide to, or have the firmware auto download to the phone, but can or can not chose to install. B.Diddy pretty please? :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Checkboxes for that are dependent on the manufacturer. I don't get that option in the Nexus 5. If a system update is available, I'll be notified of it and asked if I want to install. I can refuse, but I'm not sure how many times I can refuse.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

My device is with Verizon, and I have to go to About phone > Software update, then when I click that, all it does is ask me if I want to check for software updates, and if I say yes, it tells me I'm up to date, so there's no blocking anything there.
About blocking automatic app updates, I don't seem to have that setting either...

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Found the setting for the apps, turned it off, so I'm good with that. *happy dance*
I'm afraid I might be stuck as far as software updates, though. Time will tell, lol.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know Android doesn't provide a native way to control OS software updates. So if you want to ensure you don't get any, you first need root access then kill the OTA updater. It's what I've had to do on my Note 2 and 10.1, even my Nexus 7.

I would venture a guess it's the same procedure for the Verizon Note 3 as it is for the Note 2; using a file explorer such ES File Explorer (with its root features enabled), rename the following two files under /system/app (then reboot phone):

FWupgrade.apk to FWupgrade.bak
SDM.apk to SDM.bak

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Oh boy... To ask me to root my device is like asking a blob fish to perform neuro surgery, it's not happening, lol.