Spotify and Notifications Acting Up

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

Since my carrier still takes Spotify traffic out of my data allowance, I tend not to use my cellphone for it while not on WiFi. So, I usually download everything to my iPod, and use that instead. But yesterday I forgot the iPod and used my phone for the ride home instead, and I noticed something rather annoying: Notifications stop playback.

Now, I know that getting a notification will fade out the sound to allow you to hear the notification (actually, that's another gripe I have... the sound is almost fully muted, I wish it was only faded down a bit, not actually all the way down), but in previous versions, selecting "Vibrate" or "Silent" modes would let the audio continue regardless. Now, however, it doesn't seem to matter what mode I have my phone on, any notification will mute the sound, even in "Silent" mode. Needless to say, Spotify became unusable since I get so many notification from IM software, e-mails, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I set the notifications to no sound, so it would just flash in the notification bar. No issues with playback on Spotify for me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, sound still stops. I'm listening to a great piece of music, getting to the heroic part, close my eyes, start getting 'high' and then... notification comes through, sound stops and it throws me off ¬¬'

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just weird because it doesn't happen on my note 3, and I use Spotify as well.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So it's my phone? :'( Owwww...

Could you please try to turn your notification sound ON, set it to vibrate, and tell me if Spotify stops? Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So it's my phone? :'( Owwww...

Could you please try to turn your notification sound ON, set it to vibrate, and tell me if Spotify stops? Thanks!

If notification sounds are enabled then it would fade the music for a few seconds when the notification sound is coming through.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know that, but I was wondering if you could turn the sound on for any of your notifications (you mentioned that you set them to only blink the LED), then set your phone to vibrate (which shouldn't disrupt the audio) and see if Spotify stops when a notification comes through.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I figured it out... It's Whatsapp that's causing trouble. It used to be the only notification that didn't mute the sound, and after a couple of updates, it started muting it to... Now, it's the only thing that ALWAYS mutes Spotify, no matter what setting the phone is on :(

Update: It's widespread. I just read Whatsapp's reviews in the Play Store, and there are a bunch complaining about the same interference with music players, not just Spotify.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know that, but I was wondering if you could turn the sound on for any of your notifications (you mentioned that you set them to only blink the LED), then set your phone to vibrate (which shouldn't disrupt the audio) and see if Spotify stops when a notification comes through.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

I did enable the sound to test , and it fades the music. If don't enable the sound then it doesn't fade the music

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I figured it out... It's Whatsapp that's causing trouble. It used to be the only notification that didn't mute the sound, and after a couple of updates, it started muting it to... Now, it's the only thing that ALWAYS mutes Spotify, no matter what setting the phone is on :(

Update: It's widespread. I just read Whatsapp's reviews in the Play Store, and there are a bunch complaining about the same interference with music players, not just Spotify.

Can you reinstall the old version from a backup or something?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess I could... but Whatsapp tends to be pesky about using older versions, so I'll just disable notifications whenever I use Spotify on my phone for now. Dev replied to my e-mail last night saying that they are aware of the issue and an update should be coming to the Play Store when they get it sorted out.

Thanks for the help! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana