Note 3 owners, how's your cell reception and antenna?

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
For those that have the previous note, how is your reception? Are you happy with the cell signal and do you find you have adequate bars and reception? I realize this is a bit of a subjective question because many of you may live in or around major cities in the US and your cell reception will be pretty good anyway. I'd like to know because I currently have a nexus 5 & I plan on upgrading to the note 4 mainly due to reception issues with my Nexus 5. I live kind of in the middle of nowhere but no matter where I go I find I am unsatisfied with my cell reception on my Nexus 5. A simple Google search reveals that I am not alone and many people have reception issues with the Nexus 5 due to its weak antenna. I remember I always had great reception and was very happy with my galaxy s3 so I'm hoping switching back to a Samsung phone will bring me joy once more. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of those with att and who live in more remote areas but of course all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've gone through a lot of Samsung Galaxy iterations (S2, Note 2, S4, Note 3) and so far I've had great reception on each and every one. I recently moved to the US and now I'm on T-Mo, but when I came here and was roaming, it was AT&Ts network that my phone picked up and reception was always good, even while on the road.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 was excellent. Note 3 is close, but not as good. Although, the note 3 supported Verizon's xlte network while the note 2 did not

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 was great. The numbers were similar to my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD. The Note 3 was slightly worse but not by much. I do have friends who have had a nightmare with the Note 3 though. My S5 is worse than the Note 3 (switches to 3G for no reason) so I'm looking for a new device this fall. Its down to the Note 4 and Motorola Turbo. I'll take the Motorola as long as its a 5.0" display, S5 type performance and has a Maxx battery. Otherwise, the Note 4 wins by default.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, I was actually wondering the same thing. Currently have the S3, and would like to upgrade to the Note 4, or maybe the S5, but would like to know how the radios on the Note series are. I know that Motorola phones typically have very good radios and would consider another Moto phone if their radios are much better. Haven't had any major issues with my S3, but pretty sure my old Droid X had better radios than my S3. (I'm on Verizon)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you do, don't buy a new phone until September. Once the Note 4 and, hopefully, the iPhone 6 are out, everything else will drop their prices or at least they will start running promos.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with others who have posted already. Note 2 was great, note 3 is so so. Sometimes I have to toggle WiFi or reboot to get wifi/4g data working. This doesn't happen that often but can be annoying.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with others who have posted already. Note 2 was great, note 3 is so so. Sometimes I have to toggle WiFi or reboot to get wifi/4g data working. This doesn't happen that often but can be annoying.

Wow this is a big deal, and a major draw back. My wife's brand new s5 does the same thing. She already hates the phone because she literally has to reboot it everyday to get the wifi to work for a short time. In researching this, it turns out this is a common glitch with samsung phones running Android 4.4.2. Samsung has made no effort to fix it or even address it and the only permanent fix is to upgrade to a newer version of Android, which is not even possible because samsung has not released any version past 4.4.2. I was shocked to learn all this, and I'm now saddened and worried to hear the note 3 suffers from the same issue. I'd be rip **** if I bought a $700 flagship phone and it can't even hold a wifi signal.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow this is a big deal, and a major draw back. My wife's brand new s5 does the same thing. She already hates the phone because she literally has to reboot it everyday to get the wifi to work for a short time. In researching this, it turns out this is a common glitch with samsung phones running Android 4.4.2. Samsung has made no effort to fix it or even address it and the only permanent fix is to upgrade to a newer version of Android, which is not even possible because samsung has not released any version past 4.4.2. I was shocked to learn all this, and I'm now saddened and worried to hear the note 3 suffers from the same issue. I'd be rip **** if I bought a $700 flagship phone and it can't even hold a wifi signal.

Happening to me too. If I stay in the room with the router its fine but once I leave the room the WiFi randomly stops working and forces me to toggle WiFi off and on. The phone says I'm always connected but it glitches. I mentioned this to Verizon in the past and of course they've heard no such thing. I've been through 4 replacements and same issue each time so I gave up. I'd try and push for an alternative phone (HTC One M8) but its not worth the hassle and Verizon's policy on this as of recently would have my success at 5% or less.

If this is a common occurrence I'll be switching back to a Motorola or HTC phone in due time. I have limited data (2 GB) and can't be dealing with this. Even if it means paying retail which I'm not thrilled about but at least I'd be happy... Hopefully.

Last edited:

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Correct me if I am wrong, but could it be that, both The S5 and The Note 3 use the Snapdragon 801 chip? Isn't Wifi tied to this chip?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
European Note 3 here. Connecting to public wifi has been a constant hassle for me, and well reported in the forums by others - but not by all.
Home wifi is fine, it just rejects wifi if it doesn't consider it strong enough.

I have ended a 2 year sim plan on an unlocked Amazon phone, tried a different carrier sim in that time, and recently changed to another big carrier on a 1 month uld plan.
Still never see more than 1-3 bars on those carriers sims. However I bought a fourth sim with the best rated carrier for my new backup Moto G 4g and it shows a whole lot stronger for signal and 4G (different / more bands).
Works better in my Note 3 too. (just outside, surrounding or in Central London).
If I can get the EE account system working on my phone to unlock the 10gb I pay for (their system and conflicting information is a mess), I will give up the 1000gb and 4gb tethering allowance on my Note 3 's current plan and switch both to this better carrier and live with 4gb when the 10gb deal runs out.

Sorry this has been about me, but yes and no to you.
I and others think the signal radios have been compromised in the Note 3 design - but it works great for many people. You're out in the sticks /boonies , so it may not be great.
Bear in mind the LTE bands. My current new unlimited plan only uses the low 800 band, the better one has a range of 2 or 3 higher bands and is better for me near a big city.
The lower frequencies like 800 have a longer range and better penetration of buildings, but higher bands have faster speeds and higher capacity for large traffic. Ideally your carrier would have a mix of both.
Get a Note 3 if you can exchange it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but could it be that, both The S5 and The Note 3 use the Snapdragon 801 chip? Isn't Wifi tied to this chip?

Note 3 has the SD800, but yes I think I heard that is related so is probably relevant. (from a non techie).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have one on VZW and I'm very disappointed. At our house in lower signal area (of the house) it has no reception most if the time - all calls to VoiceMail, whereas Moto X is doing significantly better. BTW it's the second Note 3 we have the same problem with.
In other areas of town it seems that it struggles just that bit more to go keep slipping from 4g to 3g to 1x etc.
Bad radio to my experience on Vzw network

Posted via the Android Central App on VZW Moto X

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have one on VZW and I'm very disappointed. At our house in lower signal area (of the house) it has no reception most if the time - all calls to VoiceMail, whereas Moto X is doing significantly better. BTW it's the second Note 3 we have the same problem with.
In other areas of town it seems that it struggles just that bit more to go keep slipping from 4g to 3g to 1x etc.
Bad radio to my experience on Vzw network

Posted via the Android Central App on VZW Moto X

Samsung and most phone manufacturers can never come close to Motorola. The only device I've used near Motorolas signal was Nokia back in the day.

snowpromod

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Is there an good way to compare radios/antennas? I have a VZW Note 3 and plan on ditching it as soon as all the new releases are out, reception is terrible and I am cannot stand it anymore. Had a Note 2 and it was much better

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Could be but my nexus 5 has the snapdragon 801 and I've never had this problem in the one year I've had the phone.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Ugh... So it seems most everyone is in agreement. Note 2 was good but note 3 not so much. Seems like it will be just a crap shoot coin flip if the note 4 will be good or not.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Considering Samsung's financial problems in the smartphone market, they cannot afford to have an antennagate issue. The note 4's antenna better be a magnet for lte signal for their sake.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Considering Samsung's financial problems in the smartphone market, they cannot afford to have an antennagate issue. The note 4's antenna better be a magnet for lte signal for their sake.

Posted via the Android Central App

I agree. If I can financially swing it I'd get a Note 4 if the radio is stronger or equal to the Note 2. If its similar to the Note 3 I'll be hoping Motorola releases a 5.1" device with great specs and a beast battery on Verizon.

I'm done with "the next big thing" when it can't even handle phone calls. I've missed a few calls since I got a Note 3/S5 in December of 2013 because the phone never received them. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress