Question on Note 4 and LTE

rnutter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at going to the Note 4 instead of the iPhone 6. This is my first time that I have looked at a phone specs at such a detail level. In looking at the spec's on Samsung's site, I dont see LTE specifically called out. I want to buy an unlocked one, so I dont know if buying one from T-mobile will get me that or if I need to wait ? I had been looking at Amazon's site but the listings are for an international version, which I would expect to work on LTE due to the country differences on what bands are used for LTE.

Suggestions ?

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I know Verizon LTE phones come unlocked so that you can use any sim card and it will work out of the box and are gsm ready.

AT&T and T-Mobile lock their phones, but the US Government recently approved cell phone unlocking. You may be able to unlock these phones but the requirement is that the phone is paid off in full and a grace period after purchase. There may or may not be a work around that requirement.

rnutter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
This is where my understanding of LTE is a little thin. Since Verizon is a CDMA carrier, doesnt that mean that the phone (assuming a GSM sim is installed) would only work for data and not voice ?

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This is where my understanding of LTE is a little thin. Since Verizon is a CDMA carrier, doesnt that mean that the phone (assuming a GSM sim is installed) would only work for data and not voice ?

Verizon LTE phones come with GSM chipsets so they can use CDMA or GSM. Data and voice. Verizon does not have HSPA+ however so you would have to use LTE or HSPA.

T-Mobile & AT&T phones do not come with CDMA, so voice would not work on Verizon or Sprint.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Both att and tmobile sell their phones sim locked. The Verizon Note 4 is factory sim unlocked, but doesn't have support for utms 1700 or lte bands 2,5,12,and 17 . so while a Verizon note 4 will work on tmobile or att, you might not get fast speeds. Also certain features might not work like tmobile wifi calling. Verizon also comes bootloader locked, tmobile might be unlocked, not sure there.

The international version most likely won't support usa lte.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa