Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem sometimes. And first 3 months all is ok. And i think after Android 5.0 this priblem begins. Sometimes all is ok 2-3 days then some time again ficus problem. I have N910C international version.

I hsve recorded video if this issue and posted it to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/YF0taNytnks

Whats with all of the shaking going on, is that you trying to get it to focus or is that the camera? If the later it's probably hardware, especially if you hear whirring/squealing sound from the camera module while it's happening. Just a theory of mine but when its hardware its either the optical image stabilization or the focus mechanism itself thats at fault and the sounds emitted are high frequency vibrations of the elements trying to move but never working correctly in order to stabilize the image/focus. For me the issue started off intermittent and then grew worse as time went on. Since having the module replaced a few months ago I havent had issues.

Sunun

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Whats with all of the shaking going on, is that you trying to get it to focus or is that the camera? If the later it's probably hardware, especially if you hear whirring/squealing sound from the camera module while it's happening. Just a theory of mine but when its hardware its either the optical image stabilization or the focus mechanism itself thats at fault and the sounds emitted are high frequency vibrations of the elements trying to move but never working correctly in order to stabilize the image/focus. For me the issue started off intermittent and then grew worse as time went on. Since having the module replaced a few months ago I havent had issues.
No this is i shake to try take focus. No there is no strange sound.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No this is i shake to try take focus. No there is no strange sound.
Ah ok...interesting, do you find that shaking helps? Seems counterintuitive since autofocus systems search for contrast to determine focus, having the entire frame moving makes it harder for the autofocus to do its job.

If there's no noise at least it's not a hardware issue for you so that's good.

Sunun

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok...interesting, do you find that shaking helps? Seems counterintuitive since autofocus systems search for contrast to determine focus, having the entire frame moving makes it harder for the autofocus to do its job.

If there's no noise at least it's not a hardware issue for you so that's good.
Help but not many if i shake many it catches far focus after many shake it catches near focus. But autofocus works again i dont now after what :(
Problem duration sometimes is 2-3 minutes sometimes 1 hour .

And if this not hardware problem how to solve it? I try safe mode but the result if the same if problem is exists. Just now all is ok. But i don't know when again problem begins.

Camera correct work video.
https://youtu.be/gwtGpa51MNU

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Help but not many if i shake many it catches far focus after many shake it catches near focus. But autofocus works again i dont now after what :(
Problem duration sometimes is 2-3 minutes sometimes 1 hour .

And if this not hardware problem how to solve it? I try safe mode but the result if the same if problem is exists. Just now all is ok. But i don't know when again problem begins.

Camera correct work video.
https://youtu.be/gwtGpa51MNU
For me, to rule out a hardware problem I did a full factory reset and tested the camera for a day without installing any software or restoring anything (during setup I opted out of Google auto backup and restore ). This ensured that no other software would be influencing the camera. The issue was still there for me so I knew that i had a hardware problem. I lived with it for a couple of months until I ended up breaking my screen by accident and had it and the camera module replaced under third party warranty (square trade). No camera problems since.

Sunun

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
For me, to rule out a hardware problem I did a full factory reset and tested the camera for a day without installing any software or restoring anything (during setup I opted out of Google auto backup and restore ). This ensured that no other software would be influencing the camera. The issue was still there for me so I knew that i had a hardware problem. I lived with it for a couple of months until I ended up breaking my screen by accident and had it and the camera module replaced under third party warranty (square trade). No camera problems since.

Factory reset don't help. But o e question.
You always hadthis problem, or sometimes like me?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset don't help. But o e question.
You always hadthis problem, or sometimes like me?
In November of last year when I got the phone from t-mobile the camera worked flawlessly. By February I'd occasionally have focus issues. By April it was frequent to the point where I knew how to deal with it, basically if I pointed the camera straight up for a second or two then back to the subject focus would work. By June it happened every time the camera was launched. Repaired it in late June. No issues since. I can't say that it will never return for me but I know mine was hardware. If you've done a factory reset and didn't install custom applications before testing the camera then likely yours is hardware too.

aoshia

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck getting Samsung to help with this issue? I've had my Note 4 replaced once already under warranty. The new phone is worse than the first. Now AT&T keeps giving me Samsungs phone number and says "they'll take care of you." From the sounds of this thread, that isn't the case. I guess if not I'll just keep getting replacement units until I get a working camera. It seems the camera only wants to work about once every 5 tries or so. It's getting to the point where smacking the thing isn't working.

After the terrible 5.0 software and the horrible camera. I'm ready to leave Samsung devices. Going today to see what my options are as far as moving to a 6P.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck getting Samsung to help with this issue? I've had my Note 4 replaced once already under warranty. The new phone is worse than the first. Now AT&T keeps giving me Samsungs phone number and says "they'll take care of you." From the sounds of this thread, that isn't the case. I guess if not I'll just keep getting replacement units until I get a working camera. It seems the camera only wants to work about once every 5 tries or so. It's getting to the point where smacking the thing isn't working.

After the terrible 5.0 software and the horrible camera. I'm ready to leave Samsung devices. Going today to see what my options are as far as moving to a 6P.

I suspect that putting optical image stabilization (OIS) in such a small package has been a challenge for many manufacturers and they're finding that the yield that they get in mass producing the camera modules isn't as good as that of camera modules without OIS. For my problem in particular (and I suspect this may be the same for those who say that smacking the phone helps) I strongly suspect that the OIS is to blame; it initially fails to stabilize the lens upon startup which in turn affects the ability of the lens to focus. As I've stated before, on my unit if I pointed the camera straight up to the sky for a second or so (when the camera app was open and having focus issues) and then brought it back down the lens would then work properly. As the OIS in my camera got worse this behavior became easily repeatable and each time I fired up the camera module by opening the camera app (or jumping out to gallery and back in) I would have to repeat this step of pointing the camera up first. I really didn't like smacking the camera around, but I did do it a few times and I honestly felt like I eventually did more harm than good . .

The grass isn't always greener on the other side though, tThe iPhone 6 Plus wasn't without its issues with OIS (Apple launches replacement program for faulty iPhone 6 Plus cameras | Ars Technica) but at least Apple is addressing it by recognizing it and addressing it. It doesn't hurt though that they are more proactive when it comes to product support by having the Applecare program and being more accessible through their own retail stores. Perhaps as the manufacturing process was perfected yields went up, hopefully for both Apple and Samsung . .

StaticXCC

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I remember seeing a thread about this problem on the tmobile forums. Tmobile eventually responded that they had a batch of note 4s that had this issue and if you called in they would compare to a list of imei's they had and get you a replacement phone. I can't find that thread now, but you might call your carrier and see. Wouldn't hurt.

Posted via the Android Central App, Samsung Note 4

aoshia

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been there. I've gotten my note 4's 6 months apart, and from different stores (one being AT&T's warranty center). I think that rules out a simple bad batch. It's also very wide spread here. The AT&T rep at the warranty center basically told me I was out of luck with the Note 4 and to call Samsung because the odds of me actually getting a working phone were slim.

StaticXCC

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I've been there. I've gotten my note 4's 6 months apart, and from different stores (one being AT&T's warranty center). I think that rules out a simple bad batch. It's also very wide spread here. The AT&T rep at the warranty center basically told me I was out of luck with the Note 4 and to call Samsung because the odds of me actually getting a working phone were slim.

You go tell AT&T to go pound sand. I found the link where T-Mobile worked with Samsung and T-Mobile is willing to replace the phones here: https://support.t-mobile.com/message/463542#463542

So if AT&T is willing to leave you with a phone with a KNOWN issue and won't replace it (Samsung later fixed the problem) then perhaps you should reconsider your relationship with AT&T eh?

aoshia

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clear. AT&T has said they'll replace the phone as many times as it takes while I'm under warranty. They just don't have confidence in me finding a good unit. Apparently it's almost a running joke at the warranty center near me.

StaticXCC

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clear. AT&T has said they'll replace the phone as many times as it takes while I'm under warranty. They just don't have confidence in me finding a good unit. Apparently it's almost a running joke at the warranty center near me.

I would suggest to them, that if that is the case, perhaps it would be cheaper for them (and better customer service) for them to honor their warranty requirements by giving you a Note 5.... because that's hardly fair for them to keep giving you faulty units over and over that they KNOW are faulty. That means they are KNOWINGLY NOT fulfilling the warranty requirements.

You got that recorded somehow that they know they are giving people faulty units? Might be worth to ping your friendly local consumer protection agency.... that'll get AT&T's attention real quick.

Mouse Tea

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to inform you all, this is a hardware problem. I thought I could live with it and really didn't want to bother with the camera but then what's the point. All those software related suggestions don't solve the problem. I took my phone to Samsung (factory) Service Centre, and they knew the problem right away. No questions asked, they changed the camera and apparently the sticky tape that holds the camera module in place and give me back my phone in 1.5 hrs. Right now there is no more issue, whatsoever. So my suggestion to you is not to bother with finding a miracle software remedy to this.

Methodical2

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

Maybe if you are out of warranty. I just spoke with ATT and they stated that they would do the warranty on their end, so that I don't have to deal with Samsung and get a new camera within days vs. weeks with Samsung.

ATT is making go through their testing this process, such as remove film from camera, which I did when I bought the phone and the next step is factory reset. I already believe it's a hardware issue, because it did this from day 1 back in April, but I just did not address, but I just can't take it now because I've found myself taking more photos with the phone.