Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No issues here. I went on a 3 hour road trip last week and the GPS was solid the entire time. I'm just curious. For those with issues where was your Note manufactured? Mine was made in Korea but I think some are made in China.

Sent from my Note 4

jummybui

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My Att N4 was giving me GPS issues this past Sunday. I had thought it was because I have used over 5GB of data for this billing cycle and ATT is throttling my data. Now seeing this thread has got be thinking. But I will wait and see in a few days when my billing cycle is end and a new one starats to test my GPS again.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I posted my problems on Reddit and got some interesting advice. I was told to take out my sim and try it. It didn't work, so I put my sim back in. On a whim, I used GPS to get to the gym. It worked better than it EVER has! I had a little hiccup when it briefly thought I was on a different highway, but it corrected itself and was very accurate throughout the trip. I was overjoyed! I used it to get home....and it was back to normal :(. I got another piece of advice to try downloading the map and using it offline. I'm going to try that tonight. It's strange that the sim might be causing the issue, because one of the things I tried was exchanging the sim. Maybe it's an issue of the sim card contacts?

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive had issues with previous Samsung phones and gps, but so far the note 4 is doing good. This seems to be a long standing Samsung issue. (issue with S1 and N2)

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Ive had issues with previous Samsung phones and gps, but so far the note 4 is doing good. This seems to be a long standing Samsung issue. (issue with S1 and N2)

I had the S1 (Vibrant) and can attest to that. It was completely unusable. The gps on my SGS3 was fairly stable, but did crap out from time to time.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I just had a thought. I don't know why I haven't considered this before. I use power saving mode exclusively. Would *that* possibly be disabling something that would affect gps performance?? I'm going to try turning power saving mode off on my commute home tonight and see what happens.

bigjim71

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to have same problem with note 3. I'm on att n it seems as though it was only people on att at that having those gps problems. So far the gps on note has been perfect. Hope it gets resolved for everyone having issues

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I just had a thought. I don't know why I haven't considered this before. I use power saving mode exclusively. Would *that* possibly be disabling something that would affect gps performance?? I'm going to try turning power saving mode off on my commute home tonight and see what happens.

That didn't help :(.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
So if you use GPS status, it does show a lock when you are in the car and not moving, right.
Then it shows that it loses the lock when you are moving.
How many satellite fixes do you have before and after losing the lock?
My VZW note 4 keeps a great lock, working well.

jummybui

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So my just started a new billing cycle and my data connection is back to normal. I used google maps this morning and it tracked me but the dot was not moving smoothly. The dot will just hop around. Anyone figure out a fix? It also happens with the waze app.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
So if you use GPS status, it does show a lock when you are in the car and not moving, right.
Then it shows that it loses the lock when you are moving.
How many satellite fixes do you have before and after losing the lock?
My VZW note 4 keeps a great lock, working well.

I don't check how many I'm connected to while in motion since I don't want to take my eyes off the road for that long. When I'm stationary it only connects to about half the available satellites even when the GPS icon shows a lock.

jegonzo3

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, GPS issue here too. Blue dot doesn't follow me and at times, jumps around. Was useless this morning for me, good thing I looked at map online last night.

lb500

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
My first-time using gps this morning since getting the note 4 in October and it doesn't work. It blinks all the time...trying to find a signal. So im joining the thread...im sure there are more of us.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone who is having issues should report this to Samsung support. If enough people report it, they'll work on a fix. Basically my only other option is to send it to Samsung for repair, but I've had FOUR devices all with the same issues now. I have a nagging feeling if I sent it away I'd just be 3 weeks without my Note and get it back with no real fix. It looks like as of now I just have to make due with using my old BlackBerry Z10 for GPS when it's absolutely necessary (as in going someplace new where I have no idea where it is).

Here is a link to Note 4 support. Click on the link to your carrier's device and click on product support on the right. SEARCH SAMSUNG

ETA: Funny story, a few nights ago I was on the line with Samsung Support regarding this issue. The rep said he was going to search for any other reports. He then said "I see here that there are others reporting the exact same issue you are. I'm on a site called Android Central..." I broke in and said "I'm pantlesspenguin." His mind was blown lol. Hi James, if you ever see this!

lb500

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Today i removed and reinstalled the sim and battery. I also downloaded and ran the gps fix app. Gps seems to be operating correctly now.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if it could be your vehicle? In my sadan (big long sloped windshield) it works great all the time, in my truck (short flat windshield) it works great on the dock (mounted on the windshield) but drops lock frequently if down on my lap. Wondering if it's the ability to "see" the satellites?

Bdot-1

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been experiencing many problems since I switched from blackberry to a note4. Two major problems is the Samsung email app and the GPS. The GPS shows me driving on the sidewalk backwards when using Google maps. At its worst it shows me a few blocks from where I actually am on the road... driving me nuts

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non