Galaxy Note 4 Verizon - HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE

nezff

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I actually thought my battery life wasn't good, but then again, I have nothing to compare this new phone too. Im coming from a iphone 5 which of course didn't have a great display like this one, cpu, ram, etc..

Im getting 5 hours or so of screen time. Im thinking of doing a reset like some of the other guys have done.
screen brightness is around 75%

Screenshot_2014-11-26-14-38-03.jpg
Screenshot_2014-11-26-14-37-54.jpg

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Gents all you need to do is enable developer options and then select limit background processes to 4. Fixed mine. On 66 % with 20 hrs moderate usage yesterday I hadn't done this used it less and 40% at lunchtime (charged in morning)
I had forgotten about that nugget, too. Thanks for the reminder.

But it is also important to understand what background processes really are and how they work.

Here's a post from another forum (not mine, another user):

limiting Android’s background processes using option in the Developer section won’t stop applications that would normally run in the background from running. Your mail client will still run periodically to check mail, if it’s configured to do that. Applications like Facebook, Google Location Services, Tasker… will still be able to do so. So next time each application needs to start all over again, Android has to load the application from scratch, this uses more power and takes longer than running it again when the process was in memory. What you are referring to is Cached background process limit, allowing applications to stay cached will help performance and constant re-loads, especially considering that if there is plenty of RAM.
Because this is a development option, it can also trigger some rare bugs in certain applications, also can cause a loop of services restarting each other to check for updates like google calendar updates.

Said another way, limiting background processes may actually hurt more than help. With 3GB of RAM on the Note 4, limiting background processes may not be necessary.

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
USB 3.0 to my knowledge does not boost power, like I said already your computer is not going to give it nearly enough power use a wall outlet even for just 15 minutes it will give you 20% added
I agree. You will not get a full solid charge by charging connected to a laptop, desktop (USB) etc. You need to plug your phone into the included charger into a WALL outlet.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how times show here. Whether it is 30 or 90 minutes you mean you don't need a new battery. You need the GSAM app and to study what it tells you. Everyone on this thread who thinks they have problems with a battery likely have problems with the apps they are using. I had a problem and I figured out which app it was. It's just not mathematically possible to have as many defective batteries or devices as people think there are. Has anyone ever gotten a bad battery for anything else? I have to believe anyone with Android System sucking more juice than Screen does is having an app problem. If you don't want to read all this stuff (not you specifically logik) then swap batteries, see the same thing happen, swap phones, see the same thing happen and THEN get GSAM and study...

What do we look for? System almost always ends up higher than screen time for me

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
What do we look for? System almost always ends up higher than screen time for me

Two things you can do, depending on how many applications you have installed.

Factory reset and start over, or uninstall your apps and reinstall them one by one.

Usually if system is your number one resource drain, there is an app constantly running in the background.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Gents all you need to do is enable developer options and then select limit background processes to 4. Fixed mine. On 66 % with 20 hrs moderate usage yesterday I hadn't done this used it less and 40% at lunchtime (charged in morning)

I tried this for a few days and didn't notice any difference. Cool tip though

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
And to add to LaTuFu... GSAM will show you what each app is doing. You have to use the tools in it. The icon that looks like a vacuum cleaner is a place to start. This sounds like something is keeping it awake even when screen is off. If you find a suspect then Google "AppName battery drain" and see if there are obvious returns. That's how I found out about Words with Friends. I started with these threads heard about GSAM and Googled WWF.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
i tried gsam but discovered that it was giving me the exact same results as the stock battery app when it came to which apps are using the battery. it too just lumps a whole bunch of secret apps into 'android OS' so i wasnt able to tell which app in there is the one that causes the the phone to stay awake. i think its a better app if your phone is rooted though.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It identifies all the components in there..but without root you can't do anything with the components anyway. Feels like you still aren't seeing all of it.

i tried gsam but discovered that it was giving me the exact same results as the stock battery app when it came to which apps are using the battery. it too just lumps a whole bunch of secret apps into 'android OS' so i wasnt able to tell which app in there is the one that causes the the phone to stay awake. i think its a better app if your phone is rooted though.

2UMK

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
You're not the only one. I have had this phone for 14 days. Started off good. But the other day I had to charge the phone half way through the day. This morning at 4AM it was at 100% fully charged. I woke up 3 hour later and it was at 92%. I'm with ATT. They told me battery looks good so it's gotta be the phone or the charger. The charger makes no sense to me. They told me I might need to manually force-stop the applications that are showing running under Application Manager but not actually displayed in the recently-used apps. I don't have bluetooth running. I have wifi and location service. I even have it on the Power Saver mode. I text lightly. Took one picture. Listened to pandora for 15 minutes (to test it out)... and I was at 25% by the end of the day. While my friend who has the new Note Edge uses 7 hours of pandora, bluetooth, location service, wifi-calling and constantly text and chat and got 70% after all of that usage.

I had a 4S before and this battery life is probably slightly better than that... and the 4S was old and the battery was dying. I'm very disappointed!

I read up on the LG G3 and was considering getting that but I was 1 day shy of the return policy. But the LG G3 had no decrease in battery life after a whole night of sleep. Mine dropped 8% after 3 hrs.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep I'm in the same boat as you. I hate that when I leave it unplugged over night after a fresh reset with 0 apps running, ill wake up with the phone having used 12%. I also hate how i can litteraly watch thr battery die before my eye when im simpky reading email or browsinf. I've learned to live with it.

Its sounds stupid but if you turn off the battery percentage in the settings, it makes you enjoy your phone much more I find.

bgmacklem

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I can get barely 11 hours out of my Note 4 with moderate usage. Both GSM and default battery app list the System as draining an absurd amount of power, sometimes 40% in comparison to the screen's 7%.
I did a full settings factory reset with no obvious results. I have payed careful attention to what is enabled and disabled as far as features go, but even with the phone operating at its bare minimum, I know I could never get the 2 days usage others are claiming on here. Am I the only one with this issue?
(And yes, I have read the thread up to this point. No help.)

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I feel so badly for all of you who cannot pin point an issue and stop it. I truly wish I could give you an amazing solution! I feel very fortunate that as you can see earlier in the thread that an old SD card was my spoiler...... I also turned off apps such as flip board, stopped Picasa from syncing, and turned off/got rid of several other apps I wouldn't use. My battery is amazing now.... Sorry I can't help more!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not really well versed as to what the stats mean, but my battery came off the charger at about 9:30am to day and now it is 11:01pm and I am at 37% lots of use tonight. I keep my screen at about 50% and have it awake a lot..... Here are my stats.

Attachments

• 1418710124367.jpg
    1418710124367.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1418710135066.jpg
    1418710135066.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1418710146876.jpg
    1418710146876.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 38

moegumby

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm the same, about 40 to 45 percent left after a whole day of heavy use. I would start with a battery replacement and see it that's the problem.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
So ure screen time is 3 hours. Meaning you 'used' your phone for only 3 hours before you start dipping into the 30 percentile.
If ure happy with that then great but to others that is unacceptable when other androids get 8-9 hours (the ones with smaller scrrens) and my friends new blackberry gets 20-24 hours of screen time. (Apples and oranges I know, but still)