Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google Messenger...Is anyone using it??

I am kinda torn between it and Samsung messages though. I like the integration with contacts and dialer better.

Yeah... Google Messenger is prettier, but one of my favorite "gimmicks" of this phone is being able to lift the phone to my ear to call a contact I'm texting.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Hangouts was the first SMS/MMS app that worked for me (I am on wifi a lot and the other 3rd party apps all had issues with MMS and my work wifi), Hangouts always worked, and was very important as our system alerts go out MMS. The only issue I had with Hangouts was unless you were careful you could sent out a Hangouts message as opposed to SMS. This is very noticeable to iphone users, and they would have to download Hangouts to see the message.

Well Google Messenger works well with MMS for me, and solves the Hangouts issue. Guess it's my new tool of choice

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I have not yet tried it. I really want to, but if I tell my family and friends to download yet another new messaging app, i'm likely to get bi*** slapped.

Google can't sit and release new communication apps every two years or so just because they have ADD. Why not update Hangouts with the look of Google Mssenger and rename it "Messenger" instead of just releasing a whole new app? People don't want to download and move all their conversations to new messaging apps constantly. Unless i'm missing something and I can use Messenger to send things to someone on Hangouts. But I doubt that's the case.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I have not yet tried it. I really want to, but if I tell my family and friends to download yet another new messaging app, i'm likely to get bi*** slapped.

Google can't sit and release new communication apps every two years or so just because they have ADD. Why not update Hangouts with the look of Google Mssenger and rename it "Messenger" instead of just releasing a whole new app? People don't want to download and move all their conversations to new messaging apps constantly. Unless i'm missing something and I can use Messenger to send things to someone on Hangouts. But I doubt that's the case.
I won't use a messaging app for that reason! As far as what I read, and it appears, it works like a regular SMS app. I d/l today and am using it just fine.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

Messenger is exclusively for SMS and MMS. You can use it without your family downloading it. You don't all have to be using the same app for SMS and MMS.

-Shawn
Noting the World One S-Pen at a Time

HYNK

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I've been jumping around the different material sms apps lately and am loving the new stock messenger so far. I'm probably going to be sticking with it. I stopped using Hangouts a while ago b/c it kept screwing me. There were too many occasions with Hangouts when I meant to sms someone but messaged them in hangouts by mistake. There are plenty of people with iPhones who set up hangouts once upon a time but don't use it at all and will never receive a Hangouts message.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

What I don't understand is the s-pen features. When I use smart select feature on my note 4, the receiving end will not get my picture. I've tried this once and just assumed it was a Samsung butting heads with Google. Anyone else have this issue?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

What I don't understand is the s-pen features. When I use smart select feature on my note 4, the receiving end will not get my picture. I've tried this once and just assumed it was a Samsung butting heads with Google. Anyone else have this issue?

Hmm.... not sure its a purposeful war between google and samsung. Though if it was, google is the one who is not playing nice, since the Note 4 was out before the new messenger was released.

I tested it via the new messenger, and then tested it via hangouts. no joy on either. I have disabled the stock messenger....WAIT, after 5 minutes, while I am typing this, it DID actually come through on messenger! Thats quite a delay for a 32k message.... of course now the message is there and it won't download the attached image. so maybe you are right. Could be the way that samsung integrated the sharing features of image clip. I have definitely sent clips to someone via skype.....in fact I love doing that, found it an awesome and use it way more than I expected.

Update again.. after several minutes, it finally did download the photo, and the attached text. So with some delay, image clipping definitely worked on the new messenger (at least for me)

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Yup. I'm loving it. It doesn't super compress pics at all. Its has a very nice clean material look. I never been a big fan of Hangouts.

Posted via the Android Central App

xiLLeNtz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I was using Hangouts for SMS but for some reason I didn't like it. I decided to switch to Messenger because on Hangouts [not SMS] I only had 2 or 3 conversations. I feel I'd rather have a dedicated app for both functions rather than one that's combined. I might even get rid of Hangouts since the same people I talk to on Hangouts also use WhatsApp.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Hmm.... not sure its a purposeful war between google and samsung. Though if it was, google is the one who is not playing nice, since the Note 4 was out before the new messenger was released.

I tested it via the new messenger, and then tested it via hangouts. no joy on either. I have disabled the stock messenger....WAIT, after 5 minutes, while I am typing this, it DID actually come through on messenger! Thats quite a delay for a 32k message.... of course now the message is there and it won't download the attached image. so maybe you are right. Could be the way that samsung integrated the sharing features of image clip. I have definitely sent clips to someone via skype.....in fact I love doing that, found it an awesome and use it way more than I expected.

Update again.. after several minutes, it finally did download the photo, and the attached text. So with some delay, image clipping definitely worked on the new messenger (at least for me)

So maybe this is something that just needs work in Google's end. The messenger hasn't been out for a week yet. It'll need maintenance just like everything else.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I would use his once they integrate with hangouts and google voice. too many redundant applications with google. ugh

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

Haha I just went though and looked to see if it was random or not, not sure about the colour coinciding with the contacts first letter. For example "Mom" is orange lol. "Wife" is also orange and my mate "David" is blue

It appears the color is aligned to the overall tone of the profile picture. All of my profile pictures come out with a color that resembles the picture.

Marley

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Does this archive your SMS to GMail...like Google Voice does? (SMS from my carrier, not my GVoice number. ..)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Does this archive your SMS to GMail...like Google Voice does? (SMS from my carrier, not my GVoice number. ..)

no but there are apps for that. a related app is MightyText.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site

This was a waste of time..... None of the features like stock......

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

This was a waste of time..... None of the features like stock......

Such as? I've never used the stock messenger. Textra is my messenger app of choice, and Google Messenger seems to be taking many queues from Textra in its simplicity. So, I'm interested to know what features stock has that I might be missing out on.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site

I switched from Textra to the Google Messenger because with Textra I couldn't recieve MMS on WiFi. So far, I'm loving Google Messenger and everything is working fine. also, I switched from a Galaxy S5 yesterday to a Galaxy Note 4 and Messenger still seems to work just as well.