Guide to spot fake/counterfeit Galaxy Note 4

sherlockpui

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Good day all members,

Today, something very unfortunate happened to me. My brother and I each met up with our sellers to purchase our pre-owned Galaxy Note 4's ($730 AUD for mine and $720 for his), both claimed to be 1 week old and in as new condition.

When we got home, immediately we noticed both our Note 4's, while highly identical, are a little bit different. After careful examination and running several tests, I was devastated to find out mine is a very well built counterfeit. It's so well built to a point where I was not even a single bit suspicious that mine was a counterfeit while I was inspecting the phone before I made the cash payment, until I compared mine to my brother in law's. The parts that are supposed to be made of metal are made of metal. Please note that I had used galaxy S2, S3 and Note 3 before I decided to switch to a Note 4, therefore I could tell how a genuine galaxy feels like in my hands. Which is why I have decided to create an account here to create awareness that knock off's of this quality do exist.

Please refer below for hardware comparisons:

_DSC3351.jpg

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in screen vibrancy and the 'back' and 'recent tabs' buttons are not lit on the counterfeit.

_DSC3352.jpg

The one on the left is the counterfeit. There are slight differences in the size and shape of the home button and bezels.

_DSC3353.jpg

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the slight differences in the front camera size and position, the size of the font and the shape of the speaker.

_DSC3354.jpg

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in colours and fonts of the notification bar. The type on the counterfeit belongs to an older model, Galaxy S4 or so.

_DSC3357.jpg

The one on top is the genuine copy. Notice the difference in the colour of the sleep button, the one on the counterfeit has silver edges while the one on the genuine copy is all white in colour.

_DSC3359.jpg

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in the shape of the flash, even the shape of the camera lens is slightly different.

_DSC3360.jpg

The one on top is the counterfeit. The original battery has a lot more wordings on it. The sim card and sd card slots are also different.

Apart from the above, I have run a spec test on the counterfeit using the app "spec device". The results show that the RAM is 1gb instead of 3GB, internal storage is 16GB instead of 32GB, screen resolution and PPI are also substantially lower on the counterfeit. Which is why it feels laggier than the genuine note 4 and the screen is not as sharp and vibrant. The S Pen is also harder to pull out on the counterfeit compared to the original one.

I also noted that the firmware of the counterfeit has less features than the genuine note 4. For e.g., the camera lacks selective focus and the ability to download more camera modes and there is no option to change screen sensitivity. They both run on kitkat 4.4.4 but after googling the build number of the counterfeit, I found out that the ROM installed on the counterfeit belongs to Galaxy S5. The boot screens are also different, the one on the counterfeit shows an Android Robot with jelly beans instead of the model name. I did not find this out after I got home because the seller passed the phone to me without switching it off. Should I have realised this during inspection I would have been suspicious.

I also did an IMEI search for the counterfeit on several different websites. 2 of them say my phone is a Nokia registered in 2009 and 2 other websites say my phone is an S4.

Samsung Kies and Odin won't recognise the counterfeit but the computer does.

At this stage, I am trying to obtain a refund from the seller but the chances are slim as this was a cash deal so I am not covered by paypal or ebay. Can only hope for the best.

So, beware fellow members! Knock offs are getting better and better. Nowadays they can't be differentiated just by spotting spelling mistakes or build quality. You have to really inspect or know the phone inside out before making a purchase. Lesson learned :)

Last edited:

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Dang, Hate that happened to you. I know you have got to be HOT! EBAY wouldn't have nothing to do with this. That is fraud, plain and simple. At minimum I would call the BBB and your States Attorney offices. YOU may Not be the only one and it is illegal, you should report this to them . Just my 2¢. What was the sellers name on eBay. I would put it on FB too. Even the lettering looks a little different on the back of the phone, but if you had never seen one, it does look legit.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry this happened to you. I stuck this thread so that hopefully others will not get swindled. Btw, did you try the fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

sherlockpui

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi MightyMike thanks for your concern. This is not an eBay sale, i found this on a site called Gumtree Australia where sellers post ads and we contact them for face to face dealings. So it was a cash trade, I won't be protected in anyway. Should have been more careful :( I have saved all the sms between the seller and I, hopefully can be used as evidence if i'm going to make a police report should i fail to recoup my money.

sherlockpui

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I did try the fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor, they both worked. The fingerprint scanner works 3/4 times. It's like 70% of a real Note 4, but a laggier, lower resolution and less features version.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
that outright sucks, that site reminds me of craigslist, in which I do my selling all the time, and this is unfortunate that they sold u a counterfeit paperweight...

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Dang man. That sucks. I never knew fakes had gotten so good.
Glad you realized though. Hope you get your money back, or the guy that ripped you off gets what's coming to him. Good luck!

sherlockpui

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! The seller promised to meet me yesterday but decided to switch off his phone and haven't heard from him for over a day. Went to the police station, lady at the counter Told me they don't do reports for scams like this. She told me to lodge a report with scamwatch, and I did. I doubt anything will be done though. I just have to get over it and hope no one else gets scammed!

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This has me worried. I just purchased a Note 4 online on ebay, and the back camera looks entirely different.

Ebay item number 161494056872

Seller claims this is the SM-N910X international version. Is there such a thing? Can someone confirm if this is real? I did not pay yet, but I already purchased it.

$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This has me worried. I just purchased a Note 4 online on ebay, and the back camera looks entirely different.

Seller claims this is the SM-N910X international version. Is there such a thing? Can someone confirm if this is real? I did not pay yet, but I already purchased it.

View attachment 150025
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027
Looks fake to me bro. Cameras off. No heart rate sensor? Hell the whole device looks smaller tbh and more round. And the bezel at the bottom of the is shorter. Speaker on the back looks different. I don't even see an S Pen... Definitely fake.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 150025
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027
Yeah, that's definitely not a legit Galaxy Note 4. That doesn't even look like a good copy like what the OP got.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 150025
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027

Definitely fake. All the things the last poster said, plus it says 16 GB on the label. Note 4 is 32/64. No 16 GB at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

wreels

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 150025
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027

Wow does the back of that box say Full HD (1080p) Super AMOLED and 13 MP Camera? Don't pay him dude! And report this as fraud to ebay! People go out of their way to defraud others. This is pathetic!

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 150025
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027

Even the design of the box is fake. My phone did not come in a wood-inspired box... it was white.

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow does the back of that box say Full HD (1080p) Super AMOLED and 13 MP Camera? Don't pay him dude! And report this as fraud to ebay! People go out of their way to defraud others. This is pathetic!

Thanks Guys! I contacted the seller, and told him it was fake, and he cancelled the order. He will probably relist it again so be on the lookout!