Note 4 and Edge buying advice

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see it. Lol. Screen break is not a real concern. They have a ton of great cases on an amazon that provide excellent protection.

And 100 is not a thing for me, but I can see why it might be for some.

Sent from my fantastic Note Edge...... IT'S "NOTE" A GIMMICK!!

I like to have no case on my phones.

If I was going to pay full price it's only $100 sure but it's more like $180 if you want to factor in sales tax in most states . I've upgrade yearly and last time I spent full price for a phone other then the nexus 5 was my iPhone 4 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I like to have no case on my phones.

If I was going to pay full price it's only $100 sure but it's more like $180 if you want to factor in sales tax in most states . I've upgrade yearly and last time I spent full price for a phone other then the nexus 5 was my iPhone 4 :)

I do not use a case on my edge at all. I have had no issues. Dropped it yesterday out of my pocket and it was fine. Gorilla glass is the bees knees

✒✒ Sent from my fantastic Note Edge...... IT'S "NOTE" A GIMMICK!!✒✒

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely the wow factor with the edge. A friend of mine has the edge and myself the Note 4 so have handled both a fair amount. The edge functionality is goes far beyond a gimmick and shows what is possible in the future and should excite people more then anything. With that said I just don't like the way the Edge feels in hand I much prefer the way the Note 4 feels.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely the wow factor with the edge. A friend of mine has the edge and myself the Note 4 so have handled both a fair amount. The edge functionality is goes far beyond a gimmick and shows what is possible in the future and should excite people more then anything. With that said I just don't like the way the Edge feels in hand I much prefer the way the Note 4 feels.

Fair enough. I am right handed. I hold the phone in my left hand at it feels awesome. I love everything about the phone, I had a note 4 and sold it and bought the Edge. I can honestly say my multitasking is much faster. And I absolutely can not say enough about the zero intrusion factor for notifications while using the actual phone screen. No pop ups for incoming calls or even a call screen. Just google maps, or s note or youtube or whatever I'm doing. Phone call comes in, it only displays on the edge screen. Text, edge screen. Combine that with the great new feature of minimizing apps and having the "dots" float on top of whatever it is your doing (also a feature of the note 4) and you have a honest to goodness multitasking beast.

I am also a very very heavy s pen user. I use handwriting input for most texts and such. The phone just feels right. It looks Cool and feels great in my hands. I have my Gear s and Gear circle paired to it and it is like the holy trinity up in here! Lol

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. I am right handed. I hold the phone in my left hand at it feels awesome. I love everything about the phone, I had a note 4 and sold it and bought the Edge. I can honestly say my multitasking is much faster. And I absolutely can not say enough about the zero intrusion factor for notifications while using the actual phone screen. No pop ups for incoming calls or even a call screen. Just google maps, or s note or youtube or whatever I'm doing. Phone call comes in, it only displays on the edge screen. Text, edge screen. Combine that with the great new feature of minimizing apps and having the "dots" float on top of whatever it is your doing (also a feature of the note 4) and you have a honest to goodness multitasking beast.

I am also a very very heavy s pen user. I use handwriting input for most texts and such. The phone just feels right. It looks Cool and feels great in my hands. I have my Gear s and Gear circle paired to it and it is like the holy trinity up in here! Lol

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒
I have my phone in my right hand so as far as I am concerned it's useless for me which I forgot to mention it's also for people who are right handed which is quite dumb. They could of made one for left handers as well. The Verizon price isn't bad actually only $50 more full price, $100 contract and $3 a month on edge.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone in my right hand so as far as I am concerned it's useless for me which I forgot to mention it's also for people who are right handed which is quite dumb. They could of made one for left handers as well. The Verizon price isn't bad actually only $50 more full price, $100 contract and $3 a month on edge.

While it does neglect the intellectually gifted group known as Lefties (see what I did there), it is likely because there are so many more right-handed users. To make a left-handed version prolly wouldn't have been fiscally rewarding but who knows. I read two reviews of the Edge today, one of them by AC. Both reviews called the Edge display minimally useful, one (I think it was AC) went so far as to call it a gimmick. I'm undecided still.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
While it does neglect the intellectually gifted group known as Lefties (see what I did there), it is likely because there are so many more right-handed users. To make a left-handed version prolly wouldn't have been fiscally rewarding but who knows. I read two reviews of the Edge today, one of them by AC. Both reviews called the Edge display minimally useful, one (I think it was AC) went so far as to call it a gimmick. I'm undecided still.

Well they could of made 2 different edge devices one for lefties and one for right .not like it would cost any more to produce other then the risk of sitting on to much stock . I think it's a gimmick but also wouldn't both since I hold my phone in my right hand

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
As long as I could buy a highly protective case w/ holster I'd probably get the Edge just for the coolness factor of the side screen. When I got my N4 on the BB $100 trade in promo the Edge hadn't yet been released. As far as the functionality of the Edge I'd reread Chris Beaudoin's posts because I think he knows more about it than any of the reviews I've read. There is absolutely something to be said for notifications, incoming calls etc. going to the side panel and not interrupting whatever you're doing on the main screen.

Arbietd21

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I went into the store dead set on the note 4 not even considering the edge, but when I saw it in store I immediately decided to get the note edge. I don't regret my choice but something I hate about the edge is the lack of cases and tempered glass screen protector. Besides that I'm happy. At the end of they say though they're the same, so you can't go wrong with either

Sent from my Note Edge.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
As long as I could buy a highly protective case w/ holster I'd probably get the Edge just for the coolness factor of the side screen. When I got my N4 on the BB $100 trade in promo the Edge hadn't yet been released. As far as the functionality of the Edge I'd reread Chris Beaudoin's posts because I think he knows more about it than any of the reviews I've read. There is absolutely something to be said for notifications, incoming calls etc. going to the side panel and not interrupting whatever you're doing on the main screen.

Thank you very much. I have spent a lot of time learning this phone. I have read all the reviews and what not. Keep in mind these reviewers have the phone for a week at best. In a week to get real word functionality is very difficult. As far as the gimmick remarks. A gimmick is something that can be used a handful of times before it looses it's value. The edge screen, holds and exceeds it's value. The is absolutely nothing that makes this phone a "gimmicky" device.

Arbietd21

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much. I have spent a lot of time learning this phone. I have read all the reviews and what not. Keep in mind these reviewers have the phone for a week at best. In a week to get real word functionality is very difficult. As far as the gimmick remarks. A gimmick is something that can be used a handful of times before it looses it's value. The edge screen, holds and exceeds it's value. The is absolutely nothing that makes this phone a "gimmicky" device.

Even a lot of reviewers have stated it's not just a gimmick

Sent from my Note Edge.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yeah for you it might not be.... People me included it is considered a gimmick and beyond the fact I am left handed I really don't care about whatever you get on it. I'm fine with how android works as it is and considering a lot of other people think Samsung phones is just gimmicks because of x y and z even before they ever had this edge

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah for you it might not be.... People me included it is considered a gimmick and beyond the fact I am left handed I really don't care about whatever you get on it. I'm fine with how android works as it is and considering a lot of other people think Samsung phones is just gimmicks because of x y and z even before they ever had this edge

Different strokes.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you say. Lol. The facts are there. Show me one link, quote, post or press release that states Samsung will not update or support the note edge at the same rate as the Note 4.

You can't, because there are none. Go ahead and Google Android L Update for note edge. You haters act like the edge screen is some alien technology that was plopped in samsungs lap. Lmao. It is software. That's it. The phone can recieve and process any Ota that Samsung pushed to the note 4. They never, ever have to update the edge panels software if they choose not to. I have already seen the build of android L on the note edge and guess what, samsung did a great job of including new features to the edge panel in the Android 5.0.2 update.

I'm not going to argue about this any more because I am a man of fact, not speculation. I research and I read EVERYTHING before I make a decision to buy a new phone. As I said back up your statements of they won't update it as fast.

And as far as a gimmick, I promise you I can do things faster on my edge than on a note 4. Hands down. I don't need to worry about when I'm in my car navigating with Google maps and a call comes in and there goes my map because I have a call screen or pop up coming in, nope it just goes to the edge panel. Watching a movie and get a call or text, edge panel. Camera? I get full screen viewfinder. Music, my controls are on the edge so I don't have to open a case or any of that I just swipe my thumb and hit the button. . Even at night just sitting on my nightstand, lol, the phone still has value.....night clock.

Say whatever you want, it's not a gimmick at all. And the extra $100.00, please. If your gonna spend $800.00 on a cell phone, what's $900.00. Lmao.

Unreal

✒✒ Sent from my fantastic and feature rich Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.✒✒

I don't do too much research apart from official after launch reviews and a couple of You Tube start up videos.

This post sold me on the Edge more than any of those could. Thanks.

1)
I suspect a Note Edge 2 next year will be even more fully thought out, allowing for feedback, but who wants to wait.

2)
I don't see the argument for app delays. I don't have one but surely the OS sees them as two displays, ie the Note 4 screen is the same without the edge - though the edge software can utilise the main screen if it wants. (I didn't explain that very well so won't entertain any arguments without the opportunity to wave a white flag first).

3)
I worry slightly about the review link above that mentions higher battery use, but it was a review lasting a few days and I am sure the gap can become less. I don't need a 24 hour battery anyway.

4)
I am a leftie. My intelligence level demonstrates / belies that (choose one!)

I hold my Note 3 with my right hand when typing. Is that abnormal?
I can't get my head around "it's not a phone for lefties" argument. We know the edge is inactive in that situation.

-------------

Good, useful thread. Just keep it helpful to the OP, and me!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have both the Edge and Note 4. I decided to keep the Note 4 because the display is whiter than the Edge. The Edge has a dull gray to its whites as opposed to the Note 4. Battery life is noticeably less on the Edge with the same usage. Even with the Samsung book case for the Edge the curved glass will always be exposed. If the displays were the same I would have definitely kept the Edge but for this kind of money I will stay with the better display. They might source different displays so it is possible that not everyone will get the gray display but I don't have time to keep buying Edge's to find one with a whiter display.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Edge and Note 4. I decided to keep the Note 4 because the display is whiter than the Edge. The Edge has a dull gray to its whites as opposed to the Note 4. Battery life is noticeably less on the Edge with the same usage. Even with the Samsung book case for the Edge the curved glass will always be exposed. If the displays were the same I would have definitely kept the Edge but for this kind of money I will stay with the better display. They might source different displays so it is possible that not everyone will get the gray display but I don't have time to keep buying Edge's to find one with a whiter display.

Did you try adjusting the screen tones on both to see if they were set to the same?

Attachments

• 1420985560573.jpg
    1420985560573.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 36

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Thankfully my Edge display is white. I did the exchange yesterday at Verizon and still playing with it. Enjoying the experience so far, but was rather wistful when the moment came that I turned in my Note 4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And as far as a gimmick, I promise you I can do things faster on my edge than on a note 4. Hands down. I don't need to worry about when I'm in my car navigating with Google maps and a call comes in and there goes my map because I have a call screen or pop up coming in, nope it just goes to the edge panel.

✒✒ Sent from my fantastic and feature rich Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.✒✒

The Note 4 has a screen pop-up for calls in this case -- So -- It wouldn't take up the whole screen and make the map go away ;).

StaticidePT

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the biggest skeptics when it came to the Note as I posted on both forums about how the Note 4 was better and how stupid the Edge was. Then I finallu got one to shut people up just to say I tried it and have absolutely loved it. I love the Edge panel, it is so much easier to multi task, I love the more accurate finger print scanner, the more apps that I can open in the multi window (including Netflix), the solid battery life, and also the fact that I can use it both right and left handed due to the way I can flip it around. The Edge is a great device and honestly, the lack of dev support doesn't bother me at all. The panels that are available are good enough for me. I LOVE IT!

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the biggest skeptics when it came to the Note as I posted on both forums about how the Note 4 was better and how stupid the Edge was. Then I finallu got one to shut people up just to say I tried it and have absolutely loved it. I love the Edge panel, it is so much easier to multi task, I love the more accurate finger print scanner, the more apps that I can open in the multi window (including Netflix), the solid battery life, and also the fact that I can use it both right and left handed due to the way I can flip it around. The Edge is a great device and honestly, the lack of dev support doesn't bother me at all. The panels that are available are good enough for me. I LOVE IT!

Posted via the Android Central App

Err what ? They are the same and you can open the same amount of apps in multi window on the note 4 .....the only difference is that small screen which doesn't even make multitasking "easier"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress