Lollipop update for Note 4 in the UK?

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
My S5 was on 5.0. And it took three updates and a factory reset over a few weeks for that to settle down and work without bugs and killing the battery. After that it ran fine, was faster and the battery lasted longer.

My Note4 got one update to 5.0.1 and works fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thank you very much for letting me know I appreciate it.
So now I just have to wait for EE to get the update rolled out :(
Hopefully we might see it over the weekend :)

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a sim free Note 4 and haven't received any OTA updates either. However, I manually flashed German 5.0.1 rom and thought it was awful and went back to KK and my phone is back to its former glory.

I also have a sim free note 4 in the UK bought from the Samsung experience store and I've seen nothing yet.

Posted from my gold note 4

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Simfree note 4 bought direct from Samsung so no network locking and nothing for me, I am using a three sim in it, would that determine when I get the update?

I also have a three sim in my unlocked note 4 (from Samsung) . No updates yet. I don't think three have started rolling out updates yet so maybe that is delaying us?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I also have a three sim in my unlocked note 4 (from Samsung) . No updates yet. I don't think three have started rolling out updates yet so maybe that is delaying us?

Unlocked phones do not get updates from carriers but from Samsung. That was one of the reasons why I bought it sim free.

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hate this waiting process! I genuinely am considering moving to the nexus range next time especially if Samsung drop SD Storage and Removable battery in the next note.

I give Apple plenty of stick over their walled garden and high price tag etc, but because they are not soo fragmented like android I love how they update there software all over the world at the same time.

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Unlocked phones do not get updates from carriers but from Samsung. That was one of the reasons why I bought it sim free.

Oh right very good point! I have always used sim free (well S3, S4, S5) and now my Note 4 and I do recall that friends of mine were getting updates sometimes before me and sometimes I would get them first.

Well if this is the case, I am thinking more about what I posted earlier in this thread that Samsung is holding off until it has worked on the new Touch Wiz on 5.1 and then hopefully we will get that version. When I was reading up on Samsung's update for the Note 4, I stumbled across a post about them changing the the Touch Wiz and renaming it.
Thanks everyone for posting in this thread and please keep it going as I am finding it very interesting.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ee but my note 4 was originally on Vodafone so I got the update yesterday, I also did a factory reset. First impressions from today is that the phone is a little laggy in a few places, only 2 bugs I've noticed is that instead of my phone number in the contacts it has 00000000 and when I turned lte off in my settings earlier the phone got confused and ended up not getting any Internet signal until I restarted my phone. Battery life isn't great at all but I'm reserving overall judgement until I've given the phone 3-4 days to settle down, doesn't help that the battery stats don't work properly on lollipop (was the same on my note 3)

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm on ee but my note 4 was originally on Vodafone so I got the update yesterday, I also did a factory reset. First impressions from today is that the phone is a little laggy in a few places, only 2 bugs I've noticed is that instead of my phone number in the contacts it has 00000000 and when I turned lte off in my settings earlier the phone got confused and ended up not getting any Internet signal until I restarted my phone. Battery life isn't great at all but I'm reserving overall judgement until I've given the phone 3-4 days to settle down, doesn't help that the battery stats don't work properly on lollipop (was the same on my note 3)

Hi,
So you were on Vodafone UK and now you are on EE. Was your Note 4 locked too Vodafone and then you had it unlocked or was it sim free originally?
The bugs that you are describing are exactly the know bugs with this update and this is why I am stunned that this version has been rolling out.
The only work arounds that I know that may help are 1: wiping the cache partition 2: factory reset. These have been proven to be useful with the problems that you are mentioning.
Try wiping the cache partition first, also remove the back cover and do a soft reset by removing the battery while your phone is still on. Then remove your sim card and leave it like that for a good 5 minutes. Insert your sim and restart your phone. Then go to settings and switch off mobile data, then when in settings go to networks and then more networks and ask your phone to search for available networks. When networks show up select a different provider other than the on you are on. It will tell you that it cannot connect to that network.
Power off the phone and power on again, go to more networks and search for networks and this time select your actual network. Once it says that you have successfully registered on the network restart the phone again and when it says that you are connected to your network then turn your mobile data back on, again restart your phone and hopefully you should be up and running.
I know that this seems long winded and a pain in the back side but I have some friends over in the U.S and this has worked very well for them. One of my friends did clear the cache partition after the update and then rebooted and then performed a factory reset (I know we all hate having to do this) however it got things up and running with much better results. Please remember to back up your phone either with Kies or using one of the application's available in the Google Play store.

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
As much as I'd love to get Note 4 updated to 5.1 you probably saw this on sammobile a few days ago No Android 5.1 builds are under development for the Galaxy Note 4 or any other Samsung device. Hope it's not true.

Yes I had also already read this article and it was not confirmed. I delved deeper on the Internet and as per my earlier post my understanding is that Note 4 users should be getting the same build version of Lollipop as that of the S6 and S6 Edge. This release date is scheduled for the 2nd quarter this year and includes a reworked version of Touch Wiz, although it is going by a different name. I am not currently near my computer so I cannot put the link in this post. This is why I am really surprised that people are getting the update here in the UK.

Last edited:

Phantomlynx

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I did clear my cache. I'm not aware of any significant issues, but it is possibly a little slower than before. I have done the above procedure just in case but I guess it is only 24 hrs, so will keep you posted

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I did clear my cache. I'm not aware of any significant issues, but it is possibly a little slower than before. I have done the above procedure just in case but I guess it is only 24 hrs, so will keep you posted

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback and I hope that issues settle down, however I think that they may persist :(
If you still encounter any of the issues that you have mentioned then I would seriously consider a factory reset. I know it is one hell of a pain but to get things back in sync a reset may be the only fix. Yes please keep everyone informed if you do not mind as it is really helpful to get feedback about this update... Thanks

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
So you were on Vodafone UK and now you are on EE. Was your Note 4 locked too Vodafone and then you had it unlocked or was it sim free originally?
The bugs that you are describing are exactly the know bugs with this update and this is why I am stunned that this version has been rolling out.
The only work arounds that I know that may help are 1: wiping the cache partition 2: factory reset. These have been proven to be useful with the problems that you are mentioning.
Try wiping the cache partition first, also remove the back cover and do a soft reset by removing the battery while your phone is still on. Then remove your sim card and leave it like that for a good 5 minutes. Insert your sim and restart your phone. Then go to settings and switch off mobile data, then when in settings go to networks and then more networks and ask your phone to search for available networks. When networks show up select a different provider other than the on you are on. It will tell you that it cannot connect to that network.
Power off the phone and power on again, go to more networks and search for networks and this time select your actual network. Once it says that you have successfully registered on the network restart the phone again and when it says that you are connected to your network then turn your mobile data back on, again restart your phone and hopefully you should be up and running.
I know that this seems long winded and a pain in the back side but I have some friends over in the U.S and this has worked very well for them. One of my friends did clear the cache partition after the update and then rebooted and then performed a factory reset (I know we all hate having to do this) however it got things up and running with much better results. Please remember to back up your phone either with Kies or using one of the application's available in the Google Play store.

I did a factory reset as soon as installed the update. After giving it another 24 hours it seems to have settled down a little with the lag but not completely and the battery life actually seems a bit better while the phone is idle (this was one of my main gripes), im currently on 33% battery after 17h 13m with 4h 44m screen on time which is better than what i got from kitkat but I must also mention that i've turned off 4G as the poor signal from it was draining my battery on kitkat. I'm on my PC at the min hence not posting screenshots.

To answer your other question the phone was on Vodafone when I bought it and I paid for an unlock code so I could use the phone on EE. Which means lollipop upgrade roll out is dependent on the original carrier of the phone, not sure how this works with unlocked models purchased directly from samsung though. You'd think they would have had the upgrade first while carriers messed around with it but this never seems to be the case (my work colleagues galaxy S5 on Vodafone got the update months before anyone else did in the UK).

I'll see how the battery does today and post some screenshots later :)

Last edited:

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I did a factory reset as soon as installed the update. After giving it another 24 hours it seems to have settled down a little with the lag but not completely and the battery life actually seems a bit better while the phone is idle (this was one of my main gripes), im currently on 33% battery after 17h 13m with 4h 44m screen on time which is better than what i got from kitkat but I must also mention that i've turned off 4G as the poor signal from it was draining my battery on kitkat. I'm on my PC at the min hence not posting screenshots.

To answer your other question the phone was on Vodafone when I bought it and I paid for an unlock code so I could use the phone on EE. Which means lollipop upgrade roll out is dependent on the original carrier of the phone, not sure how this works with unlocked models purchased directly from samsung though. You'd think they would have had the upgrade first while carriers messed around with it but this never seems to be the case (my work colleagues galaxy S5 on Vodafone got the update months before anyone else did in the UK).

I'll see how the battery does today and post some screenshots later :)

Thanks very much for the update.
I did sort of guess that you probably had the phone unlocked, hence the question.
So it would appear that there is some good news and a few issues with this version of Lollipop.
I was originally with Vodafone but I paid of the contract early because of the appalling signal when I had my S5, afterwards I chopped in the S5 for the Note 4 but I did keep my Vodafone number as I run my own business and everything in the way of marketing would have to be updated and that was going to be expensive.
I am now assuming that people who are getting the update is because of the IME of the unit and where it originated from.
When phones are supplied to each carrier those phones are logged via the IME number, so it appears Vodafones handset's are getting the update.
With regards to unlocked versions, the update should come directly from Samsung. My understanding is that those who have the unlocked version will be getting a different build as per my previous post.
Thanks for keeping us updated and yes please post some screen shots and and additional information when you can.
Cheers :)

Dirty assassin

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Sim freenote 4 with 3 sim card no update as yet!!
my s5 updated but it was Laggy and crashing all the time, so happy to wait to wait for the note 4 update.

Nik Brooks

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Sim freenote 4 with 3 sim card no update as yet!!
my s5 updated but it was Laggy and crashing all the time, so happy to wait to wait for the note 4 update.

Yes I am hoping that those of us who have the Note 4 sim free will be getting the update directly from Samsung and as I posted earlier in this thread it should be 5.1 with the same re-worked UI.
I am happy to wait until all the bugs are sorted even if it pushes the update to July/August. KitKat works fine, so in my opinion don't try to fix it if it isn't broken.
The S6 and S6 Edge will be using the new 64bit processor and it is Samsungs own. Lollipop it also on a 64bit build so that should be a good combination of hardware and software.
I will still update the Note 4 to Lollipop when I am sure that it is nice and stable version.
I am also considering buying the 128GB S6 Edge as a an addition to my collection.

Also it is not long before we see the Note 5 arriving this year and that should be a beast!!! :)
Please keep this thread running as I think that it is of great help for us users of the Note 4 here in the UK.

I actually notified Android Central of this update for the Note 4 on Vodafone here in the UK and I am seeing nothing in the headlines, however they seem more focused on the US roll out of Lollipop on AT&T/Version/Sprint.

Last edited:

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much for the update.
I did sort of guess that you probably had the phone unlocked, hence the question.
So it would appear that there is some good news and a few issues with this version of Lollipop.
I was originally with Vodafone but I paid of the contract early because of the appalling signal when I had my S5, afterwards I chopped in the S5 for the Note 4 but I did keep my Vodafone number as I run my own business and everything in the way of marketing would have to be updated and that was going to be expensive.
I am now assuming that people who are getting the update is because of the IME of the unit and where it originated from.
When phones are supplied to each carrier those phones are logged via the IME number, so it appears Vodafones handset's are getting the update.
With regards to unlocked versions, the update should come directly from Samsung. My understanding is that those who have the unlocked version will be getting a different build as per my previous post.
Thanks for keeping us updated and yes please post some screen shots and and additional information when you can.
Cheers :)

I don't think people are getting the update because of their IMEI number but the CSC code - VFG. Ours is BTU hence no updates.

Dirty assassin

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
That's right I'm more than happy with with my note 4, awesome piece of kit!
So I'm more than happy to wait for a decent lollipop update.
I'm sure we will have it before the end of year.