Lollipop: Yay or Nay?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Ive just rooted my Note 4 and upgraded to Lollipop (on past experience I doubt my carrier will upgrade us to Lollipop)

Definitely underwhelmed for a number of reasons.
-Battery life seems to have deteriorated markedly
- Dont really like the lollipop interface, as mentioned above the notifications take up way to much screen space
- Ive lost silent mode, can only choose between vibrate and sound on mode now in the top bar
- phone now randomly switches to easy mode
- keep getting very annoying touchwiz default choice promp when I press the home button to get back to the home screen.cant get it to go away.
- Bluetooth worked perfectly before, now it keeps cutting out on my BT headphones
- For some reason when browsing the internet on Dolphin browser the touch screen doesnt respond when I try to swipe the screen to scroll up or down down, never had this problem before.

These are only the things I have discovered since yesterday evening. I would be interested to hear from others if they have had similar experiences or if Im doing something wrong.

Is there a stable version of Lollipop for the GN4 that Im unaware of?
Could it be that rooting the phone has created these problems?
Can anyone provide a link to info on how to get back to Kitkat?

thanks

Sounds like you have problems created by rooting. None of these exist on mine and battery life is improved with Lollipop. I had problems after rooting my LG G3 and after that I won't root another device.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have problems created by rooting. None of these exist on mine and battery life is improved with Lollipop. I had problems after rooting my LG G3 and after that I won't root another device.

So many people on here root, and then whine. I'm never surprised by the problems they are having.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded my AT&T Note 4 to Lollipop yesterday. Can't really tell much about battery life so far, but overall it seems to be smooth, I like the changes TouchWiz makes to Lollipop (I also have a Nexus 7 so Lollipop isn't new to me), and things have been running smoothly.

It didn't fix the intermittent GPS failure I have been experiencing, but it doesn't seem to have made it worse or broken anything else I use either.

One HUGE enhancement is that my fingerprint scanner now comes up as a viable security option for unlocking the phone under MobileIron. That, to me, is worth the upgrade right there.

shawtylo1940

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
2 hrs into the update and it feels great, much faster. No problems at this point, I believe att waited and worked out any issues B4 sending it out.

Posted via Android Central App

shawtylo1940

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No problems found on att update @ this point, I'm 2:15 minutes into the update. Looks great and much faster, I will update 8 hrs in later.

Posted via Android Central App

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, anyone know how to delete the update? I've downloaded it, but haven't installed it. I can't find it with either of my file search apps

I personally do not know of a way however there may be one though. Be forewarned though, that sucker is gonna install itself when you least expect it to if it hasn't already.

Posted via the Android Central App

altec135

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Notice a few things. First, I notice lag on a few apps. Also during lock screen when I swipe, it lagged a few times. The sms message is so damn cramped. The keyboard needs to shrink a little. Also how do you swipe the keyboard out of the way so you can see more then two lines of text. Another thing is that I had an app that was on the notification pull down. For some reason that doesn't work anymore. Is it possible to reverse this update?

Update: I definitely notice my battery is worse. I have not changed my phone usage and I even cleared my cache. Before I use to have about 80% by noon. Now I get about 60-65%

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I notice any big speed increase for that matter any OS speed increase at all & my battery life seems to be worse when using the phone but better when the phone is idle & screen off.

At this time I rate Lollipop meh.

Don't like anything better or worse than Kit Kat. Think I lost fast charge in the car.

Would have rather kept Kit Kat as I was satisfied with my phone's performance.

Posted via the Android Central App

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was tired of seeing that download alert and having to dismiss the install option every time I opened my phone. So I went ahead and installed Lollipop.

I do notice a speed increase at times, best I could describe is it being "snappier" at opening things. I don't notice a battery increase yet (still basically day 2) In fact, if anything I see a small decrease. I also experience the random (and rare) internet or app crashes.

On that note, I can't understand the new power settings, can't see where the idle time is. Also does anyone know what the orange in the "Mobile Network signal" bar graph? Does that affect battery life?

Attachments

• 1427506851361.jpg
    1427506851361.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 92

altec135

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Anyone also experiencing this. Before when switching to power saving mode the screen would turn gray to save battery. Now I click on power saving mode and nothing happens. I do have gray scale settings ON

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Anyone also experiencing this. Before when switching to power saving mode the screen would turn gray to save battery. Now I click on power saving mode and nothing happens. I do have gray scale settings ON
Try Ultra Power Saving mode :)

Sent from my mobile device

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded my AT&T Note 4 to Lollipop yesterday. Can't really tell much about battery life so far, but overall it seems to be smooth, I like the changes TouchWiz makes to Lollipop (I also have a Nexus 7 so Lollipop isn't new to me), and things have been running smoothly.

It didn't fix the intermittent GPS failure I have been experiencing, but it doesn't seem to have made it worse or broken anything else I use either.

One HUGE enhancement is that my fingerprint scanner now comes up as a viable security option for unlocking the phone under MobileIron. That, to me, is worth the upgrade right there.

My thought exactly. I'm impressed at how much smoother and faster it is.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, keep getting these random internet crashes after updating. Very annoying. Maybe I should've stayed with Kit Kat, it is a better tasting candy after all

Attachments

• 1427570561236.jpg
    1427570561236.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 71

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing no issues at all since the update. Battery life is acceptable for me. No charge issues. Now, I must add that I suspect that I'm not the power user that some of you are.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got an email from Nova Launcher that the Lollipop update broke their swipe down gesture. They are currently working on a fix, they're in beta right now

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch