Note 4 Lollipop Update killed signal strength

idkwtf

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Well what we're talking about and asking is our phones had great signal until we updated to lollipop. . Our note 4s even had better signal than phones we had previously.. S3. S4 any of them.. bottom line is after lollipop our signal droped to just about nothing making our phones next to useless. .. im not worried about algorithms i want my phone to work like it did before the update. Thats all.. im no real techie i just know what happened..

Posted via the Android Central App

CAO

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I have a stupid question, but I have to ask. Yesterday, I was in town, and my signal strength on 3G was -57 with 18 asu. When I got home, it was -98 with 2 asu. The distance between town and home is about 5 miles. Both areas are well populated. Is it possible the cell towers have to be programmed to deliver the signal and some towers have not been programmed to deliver the signal with the Lollipop Update? I have put the phone in 3G since the update due to loss calls and texts on 4G. Just to note, the signal strength on 4G at home is between -109--117.

Posted via the Android Central App

omarsaurio

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I'm having similar signal issues since the lollipop update: when I receive a call, 4G signal change to Edge and don't turn back until restart the device, i found a solution for my Note 3 with 5.0 Lollipop, maybe work for you:

First, type *#2263#, in menu select LTE Band preference, then select YOUR BAND according to your carrier (in my case with TELCEL México is B4)

Then, type *#2263# again but now in menu select Automatic

If you don't change to Automatic, calls will not connect working only in 4G

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
I'm having similar signal issues since the lollipop update: when I receive a call, 4G signal change to Edge and don't turn back until restart the device, i found a solution for my Note 3 with 5.0 Lollipop, maybe work for you:

First, type *#2263#, in menu select LTE Band preference, then select YOUR BAND according to your carrier (in my case with TELCEL México is B4)

Then, type *#2263# again but now in menu select Automatic

If you don't change to Automatic, calls will not connect working only in 4G

Unfortunately, at least in the case of AT&T, this selection is restricted.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My note 4 on Verizon is suffering from the same thing. Strength is worse even when close to towers but especially bad out in rural areas where it's struggling for signal strength already. That's where I notice it the most. It eats the battery, alot worse than before the update.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4!!

rai chu

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
My note4 also has a weaker signal after the lillipop upgrade. I usually have 3 bars of signal strength in my room, but I only have 1 after I upgraded. App crashing and battery drain is my worst prob.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
My note4 also has a weaker signal after the lillipop upgrade. I usually have 3 bars of signal strength in my room, but I only have 1 after I upgraded. App crashing and battery drain is my worst prob.

SPEAK TO YOUR CARRIER. This isn't a Lollipop issue but a carrier one. It's unfortunate it happened after you updated the phones OS but again the two aren't related otherwise all the Note 4 users would be complaining of the same thing.

Steve Woodhouse

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think with Samsung Galaxy phones you to different variants of signal one for data the other actual phone calls. in places where you have very low signal try to place a call to someone and see if it goes through look to see if the quality of signal increases if you had no signal at all you would see a circle with a line across it and a notification unable to make a call would appear on your screen with some updates there some things that they take away some people have said that after doing the lollipop update there signal has decreased another thing to consider is to try and replace the sim card and see if that helps or avoid standing under overhangs

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I went back to kitkat a couple days ago. Battery is amazing once again. Signal is much higher better and constant. With lollipop I was struggling with signal strength therefore killing my battery especially in sketchy service area.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I followed the steps in the xda forums and it worked perfectly. Just Google search galaxy note 4 roll back 5.0.1 to 4.4.4 xda forums

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

joeipt10

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd share a potential solution.

I have a Note 4 on Verizon running Lollipop. I changed the preferred network mode and it increased my signal.

Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode.

I had to change it from "GLOBAL" to "LTE / CDMA".

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm facing a similar issue here in India since the lollipop update. I am using Sony Xperia Z2. I signal keeps randomly dropping off. Even when there is signal, the voice clarity is pretty bad.

Roger Davis1

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I believe you are absolutely correct. My Verizon Note4 signal strength has dropped noticeably for cel reception AND for GPS reception after lollipop. Used to make calls from basement. No more. Used to receive at least 5 sats for GPS sitting on couch. Receive zero now while two Samsung tablets on 4.4.2 receive over 7 sats. I also tried factory reset. Can't go back to kitkat due to locked bootloader.

AO-Cali

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
So glad I found this thread -
In Sept 2015 I bought a New NOTE 4. I've experienced same problems as comments above, and sooooo much more! I've invested hours and hours during the past 3 months troubleshooting with Vz & they have escalated my case and filed numerous problem tickets. Vz has sent me TWO replacement Note 4's and a THIRD is on it's way. Had me do at least 10 factory resets, and replaced the battery, and the simcard. They even had me take out the memory card for several days to make sure the card is not the problem. Calls drop often, bars dance from 1 to 5 bars (and I'm not moving), phones reboots often, and the 1st replacement even did a factory reset all by it self. The CLOUD has been a nightmare on all three Note 4's I've tried. It does not download my messages, call history, contacts, etc and freezes the phone and causes it to reboot. The crazy thing is My old Note 2 uses Android 4.4.2 and I am carrying it with me right now because IT IS RELIABLE. (The Note 2 shows full bars & the Note 4 shows 1-2 bars and both are side by side. An this happens at both my two homes that are 100 miles apart, including my office that is on the coast). Vz tells me its the antena and I need to buy some stronger antenna services for $100+/-, but again why does the Note 2 not drop the calls? So the i will get the FOURTH Note 4 in a couple of days. Not sure what VZ thinks will be different with it. Sooo Disappointed!