My lock screen is timing out too fast, how can I extend this?

Ima Fony

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
My Galaxy S4 had the same problem. After waking up the lock screen, it would dim after 5 seconds.
Try Settings, My Device, Smart Screen, then check the box to the right of Smart Stay.
When the lock screen displays, make sure your face is in front of your phone. The screen stays lit as long as your face is seen by the front camera.
I found out from another forum that the 5 second lock screen timeout is not adjustable.

Jazzybabe38

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone I had the same problem, my screen times out before I can even start my password but I just discovered the solution. The solution is not in "Lock screens and security"
Go to settings
Click on Display
Click screen time out, remove 15 seconds time out and choose whichever time that suits you".
That's how I solved my own and it's been perfect since.
Posted from Samsung Tab A

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I turned on basic power saving mode to see what it did for battery. Restricting CPU performance under the "restrict performance" bit seems to make a lot of difference in battery. However, it also turns the screen off after 3 seconds instead of 10 seconds after receiving notification. Unfortunately, that also affects the time between when I can press the power or home buttons and enter my password. If I don't have something started by three seconds, the screen times out.

Turning that off gives me ten seconds.

It's not a big deal, but if you are really struggling with a ridiculously short timeout and you are using "Restrict Performance" at all in power saving, you may try turning that off to see if it gives you enough time.

Keith Lewis1

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem as all of you and think I have come up with a workaround. DON'T just tap the home button. Hold it for a sec or two. When you release the screen stays on longer...not much but probably long enough for you to get your pass in or read a notification. Hope this works for you.:D

Amrita Das Bijoy

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I faced the same problem. But after restart my device Its now working fine and able to change my display time to my desire seconds. Which wasn't able to change before restarting and shows only 1 sec options.

flickandbear

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: lock screen timing out too fast.

It seems to depend on what you currently have selected as your lock screen method; if you've got swipe or none chosen, the timeout length won't appear. I had swipe chosen (don't take it out of the house),so even though the screen was timing out before I could swipe, I couldn't change the setting. I went to the lock screen setting, switched to Pin, changed the timeout seeing to a minute, then changed back to swipe. My lock screen now behaves much better. .. ☺

BTW, I'm on a galaxy tab pro 12.2 tablet, wifi only, no carrier, Lollipop 5.1.1.

Thank you so much!! it worked, but im using Samsung S7 Edge for anyone else having the same problem :)

wrwprw

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime and once I turned off the Power Saving mode I went from 1 second to 10 seconds

Thanks

Lou Vasquez

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Power save mode was the ooroblem here on a galaxy on5. Thanks!!

Yesterday, I turned on basic power saving mode to see what it did for battery. Restricting CPU performance under the "restrict performance" bit seems to make a lot of difference in battery. However, it also turns the screen off after 3 seconds instead of 10 seconds after receiving notification. Unfortunately, that also affects the time between when I can press the power or home buttons and enter my password. If I don't have something started by three seconds, the screen times out.

Turning that off gives me ten seconds.

It's not a big deal, but if you are really struggling with a ridiculously short timeout and you are using "Restrict Performance" at all in power saving, you may try turning that off to see if it gives you enough time.

diwin1

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully this is the same subject, but I have been frustrated with the screen timeout on my Samsung s7, I would change it to 1 or 3 minutes, but once I turn the phone off... it goes back to default of 15 seconds. Today, I spent a lot of time on the phone with AT&T, and the following solution totally worked for me:

Delete any security programs you may have downloaded such as Security 360, CM Locker & CM Security etc..., but make sure your "Lookout" Samsung program is active. "Lookout" is a Samsung security program, and you do not need these other programs. Once I deleted these, my screen timeout worked properly, I could change it to any time I wanted & it remained. Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Indirect Pointer

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Turning off PowerSaver works just great, went from <1 second to about 8 sec

TX to Natehoy -- it worked just great. I heard other people suggest it was PowerSaver related but your explanation made sense so I actually tried it. Now instead of honest to God a split second :-! I can go get some coffee and come back :cool:

Not really, but it feels like acres and acres of time now. TY!

DarthNana

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Same here, after upgrade to 5.0.1 (Att) Galaxy S4
Tried to:
-change lock time
-removed battery and waited 10 minutes
-wiped cache
This problem still occurs!
Only lock screen blanks in 1 second!

Edit
I turned off Power saver and I gained few more seconds.
I have a second galaxy (this one was mi wife's) and I have not this issue even with Power saver on.

I had this problem even though my screen was on swipe. I actually found this thread while looking for a solution, but found the solution while trying the timeout suggestion... at least it worked for me.

I went to settings, display, and there is a slider for "keep screen turned off" with the description that if your phone is in a pocket or purse it will stop the screen from turning on. I disabled that option and I haven't had any problems since!

Thanks for inadvertently helping me, and I hope this helps someone else!

Joseph Duran

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
This seemed to have fixed my problem of it turning off 1 second after a notification on my lock screen although I have not timed it to see if the actual 3 minute setting I have it on will stay on for 3 minutes. I put it on 30 seconds and it would shut off in about 5 seconds so I guess 3 minutes will keep it on long enough to be able to swipe and message my contact. This helped alot. Thanks :)

tspnyc

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
More SAMSUNG stupidity.

I paid $1,000 for a Note 8 and cannot read the notices on my lock screen became it blacks out too fast and there is no way to change it!

I changed from swipe to pin and restarted as suggested but still no setting appears.

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? You removed the setting from earlier versions?

First you purposely make a ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR phone that compromises user privacy because it does not channel ALL sounds to the HEADPHONES when they are plugged in, and you do not provide a setting to change this asinine "feature" no one in the entire world will ever want. And now this BS of the lock screen that blacks out almost immediately.

How freaking stupid can you people be?

And don't get me started with your apologetic forum helplessers who never seem to understand the issues and offer suggestions that have nothing to do with the problem.

We want a lock screen that times out to black when WE want it to, not forced to accept it timing out in 4 or 5 seconds

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Or you know, keep a finger on the lockscreen while reading. The screen will detect it and not time out.

Dona Doni

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone I had the same problem, my screen times out before I can even start my password but I just discovered the solution. The solution is not in "Lock screens and security"
Go to settings
Click on Display
Click screen time out, remove 15 seconds time out and choose whichever time that suits you".
That's how I solved my own and it's been perfect since.
Posted from Samsung Tab A

My timeout in Display is set to 30 minutes but I still have the problem with very short delay for password.

M Riley

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site

Changing my touch key light duration from 1.5 seconds to 6 seconds did the trick for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

This worked! When unlocking my phone, the screen would go dark in about 3 seconds max, not even enough time to sign in with my fingerprint on the first try - this setting doesn't seem like it should affect that, but it did - thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non