That darned volume/zoom switch...

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Try as I might I frequently turn off the sound or zoom while I'm taking a picture (yes, I know I'd have less of a chance of doing that if I turned the camera upside down).

A friend bought an LG phone and said she hadn't really read the directions for using its camera, but the pictures she posted looked very good. I asked her if the camera had exposure compensation and she didn't know, so I searched for a YouTube video showing its features.

Lo and behold I saw her phone had a volume switch in the middle of the back of the body, way out of the way of intruding fingers. What a great place to put it.

Wondering if Samsung will ever be able to put that control in a less vulnerable spot!

Rant over.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's all in taste, since I really hated the placement on the LG phone. Yes, it's in a place where it's out of the way of intruding fingers... which means it's also difficult to reach 'normally'. And yes, I've tried one. Yes, it's possible, but it feels werid, FOR ME.

That being said, I like the volume slider there and I actually use them for snapping pictures instead of tapping on the screen. Gives me better stability and feels more 'camera natural' that way.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting you feel that way. If I set my volume slider set to snap pictures I'd be taking a lot of unwanted shots instead of zooming when I didn't want to!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Won't say that it hasn't happened once or twice hehe But I still prefer to use the slider to snap pictures rather than to zoom in/out.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've hated the volume placement, specifically placing them opposite the power button since the Galaxy nexus. Reaching for power, gripping the phone with one hand pushing back from the other side for resistance.. Presses volume every time. Very poor placement.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not an issue for me. Grabbing the phone with one hand, my thumb falls naturally on the power button and my middle finger on the volume rocker.

On the LG back buttons the area my index finger falls on is naturally that, but still felt weird reaching for the volume buttons and pressing against them. Let's see how the G4 feels like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty