should I upgrade to Lollipop from 4.4.4?

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
My AT&T N4 is still on Android 4.4.4. Should I update to Lollipop? I've seen so many negative feedback, but I like the UI of Lollipop :)

Please advice.

Thanks

gonzoks

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I think most people have had pretty good luck. There will always be bugs. What are your specific concerns? I have it on my N4 with Tmo and have yet to run into a bug (but I am sure its only a matter of time).

gonzoks

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha - thats a good concern. The problem is I have read evidence of people stating their phone is better now. I have also read people complaining about it being shorter. The one thing I have seen and it may be anecdotal is that the people who do a factory reset after install of LP seem to see the better battery life. But, that may just be my interpretation.

Of course, to add to the conversation about my conversion, I have noticed no real difference either way. :confused: I did a factory reset afterwards. I am an old school IT guy and do not believe in clean upgrades happening. Let it pull the OTA then did a factory reset.

So, I guess my answer is a long way of saying I have no damn idea!

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with Lollipop (I'm on AT&T) and I did not do a factory reset. I did do a cache wipe after the update. My battery life is good, but I think that it depends on how you use your phone, the apps you run, etc. I'm not the power user that some are so my experience may be different than the experience of others.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung uses an Amoled display. Amoled displays use more power (much more) to display white than to display black. (Black basically takes no power - it's just "off".) That alone is reason for me to not update to a phone with tons of white on the screen.

My other reason for not updating (excuse me while I finish yawning) is that, aside from the new look, Lollipop doesn't actually offer anything more than "it was time for a new version, so we came out with one". 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 was a MAJOR fix. 4.4.4 to 5 is lipstick on a pig (both the lipstick and the pig are new).

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well said LOL.

I can see the benefit of upgrading other older devices if the upgrade brings new touchwiz features along with it (if you're into that sort of thing) but other than that . . .

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung uses an Amoled display. Amoled displays use more power (much more) to display white than to display black. (Black basically takes no power - it's just "off".) That alone is reason for me to not update to a phone with tons of white on the screen.

My other reason for not updating (excuse me while I finish yawning) is that, aside from the new look, Lollipop doesn't actually offer anything more than "it was time for a new version, so we came out with one". 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 was a MAJOR fix. 4.4.4 to 5 is lipstick on a pig (both the lipstick and the pig are new).
I'm pretty much with you on this! I am still holding off the update notice sitting on my phone and popping up every day.....my phone is running sooooo awesome on 4.4.4!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
My AT&T N4 is still on Android 4.4.4. Should I update to Lollipop? I've seen so many negative feedback, but I like the UI of Lollipop :)

Please advice.

Thanks

Please you have to be aware that you will almost always only find issues posted on forums. That's why u see all these lollipop issues.
Personally, I love lollipop. I believe it's the best android OS yet. Very pleased with how things just flow "naturally" and phone definitely feels faster and snappier. You can stay on KK all you want. I'm always an early adopter, and I'll take both the good and the bad. There is nothing perfect in life, Period.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest backing up individual apps, updating, wipe cache partition, factory reset, restore individual apps, and be in heaven.

For me, every day I'm finding more and more things that work so much better than before... but for the life of me I can't think of a single example now.

Posted via the Android Central App

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Battery maybe 10 percent less (shame they didn't give an option of a dark theme) but everything else is good and very smooth.
I like to option now of using trusted places so I don't have to unlock my phone all the time.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had no issues at all with Lollipop. It runs great. My battery life is just as good and everything runs smooth. That being said, if you are paranoid or are looking for something to be wrong you will probably find it. I don't doubt that some percentage of people have an issue after an update. It will happen. Those are the ones that come to the forums to report it and get help. The higher percentage of people that have no issues never say anything because they don't need to. Just something to think about.

If you do update just do a backup as was mentioned prior to the update.

Sent from my Note 4

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had no issues at all with Lollipop. It runs great. My battery life is just as good and everything runs smooth. That being said, if you are paranoid or are looking for something to be wrong you will probably find it. I don't doubt that some percentage of people have an issue after an update. It will happen. Those are the ones that come to the forums to report it and get help. The higher percentage of people that have no issues never say anything because they don't need to. Just something to think about.

If you do update just do a backup as was mentioned prior to the update.

Sent from my Note 4
This is true and I'm usually a first adapter, but breaking the hotspot on my s5 is something I can't risk having happen to my note 4.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is true and I'm usually a first adapter, but breaking the hotspot on my s5 is something I can't risk having happen to my note 4.

I can understand that. Everyone has to evaluate their own risk. Sounds like you wouldn't be comfortable updating. If I wasn't comfortable I certainly wouldn't do it either.

Sent from my Note 4

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I loved lollipop, until I found out yesterday that Samsung broke slow-motion video recording with it. Colors and exposure are nasty, and resolution has been cranked down to 720p, making everything look fuzzy.

That was a feature I liked very much, and will really miss. So now I'm forced to look for yet ANOTHER alternative to Samsung software. I never understand why they have to go backwards in features sometimes.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like there are lots of little bugs all over the place and if you don't happen to use them you would never know. This is the first time I have ever had an issue with an update.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is horrible with lollipop. Upgrade at your own risk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-01-11-13-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-01-11-13-47.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 178

Oilfield Trash

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I haven't noticed a change in battery life with my note 3, but i am using a 10,000 mAH battery and getting 3 to 4 days of use before having to charge my phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk